Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what everyone else does, but we were playing the other day and my wife suggested we break out the Mansions of Madness minis for our characters. Then she had the great idea to use the mini-character cards the the miniatures replaced to track whether we had taken a turn or not by tapping them (or 'exhausting' or whatever term you use for rotating them 90 degrees). This was a much better solution than flipping them, and the minis took up less table space in the 'exploration' area.

Didn't know if anyone else had done stuff like this, and haven't noticed it in the forums, so I thought I'd share her good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Heyming
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do a similar thing. We use the prepainted Arkham Horror Deluxe figures from the Arkham Horror board game. They are out of print now, but work great if you can find them. We also "tap" the card. Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cluny
msg tools
mb
Simply putting the mini-cards into standee-holders is as effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cluny wrote:
Simply putting the mini-cards into standee-holders is as effective.

So, do you tip them over to show they have acted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I use the minis from Mansions, but I keep the mini cards in front of the investigator. And still flip the mini cards when their turn is done, but have the nice minis to track position on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have lots of minis, but not quite all the characters. When we have a character with no minis, we use cards in stands.

But we never flip or tip with just 1-3 players. It's easy enough to remember who has already played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
Always look on the... *sigh* ... bright side of life !
mbmbmbmbmb
What we do is using Lego minifigs for our plays :

We then simply push them down when done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an extensive collection of 28mm painted figures, and choose the best matches for each character to use in the game. We face them towards the player at the "Reset Actions" phase, then face them away from the player after they complete their actions in the investigator phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I use Mansions minis. I even paint them!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use painted minis from MoM, never used mini-cards. And we have no problems remembering who has already taken his turn and who hasn't.. cool
We even started using enemy minis (from several games) to put on locations.. it's much more athmoshperic playing like that..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Arkham Horror miniatures (although we could use Eldritch Horror standees) and the character card is turned quarter turns for each move.

For example, we exhaust the mini card to the 3 pm position to indicate we are in the first action, exhaust the card again to 6 pm position (upside down) when we are ready to start the second action, and then 9 pm when we start the character's final action. Once the final action is completed we flip the card to its b/w side and to its upright or midnight position.

We flip the card back its full color glory as normal when refreshing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
crispy66 wrote:
Don't know what everyone else does, but we were playing the other day and my wife suggested we break out the Mansions of Madness minis for our characters. Then she had the great idea to use the mini-character cards the the miniatures replaced to track whether we had taken a turn or not by tapping them (or 'exhausting' or whatever term you use for rotating them 90 degrees). This was a much better solution than flipping them, and the minis took up less table space in the 'exploration' area.

Didn't know if anyone else had done stuff like this, and haven't noticed it in the forums, so I thought I'd share her good idea.

I do exactly these things. I use my painted mini collection from MoM 2nd and then I use the mini card to track which player has already taken their turn. Sometimes the investigation phase can take a while to puzzle through and we will lose track of whether someone already went so that's a very useful tool. This is especially true in 4 players where potentially a significant amount of time might have lapsed from when the first person took their turn to when the last person took their turn.

We just keep the mini cards in our play area to keep the location cards less cluttered. Using the minis does help make your investigators stick out and it also make the game feel less like just piles of cards and tokens everywhere.

Sometimes I do as John suggests above and rotate my mini card to show how many actions I've taken, which also we can lose track of in the heat of a stressful turn. This is mostly relevant with the rogue investigators, where number of actions per turn can be variable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Gildenast
Germany
flag msg tools
I took five meeples from an old game of Carcasonne which have the five investigator colours and it works nicely. You can lay them down and pick them up and they don't use up much tablespace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use coin capsules to make investigator tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Reid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lego rocks!

I have all the characters in minifig versions, even the TCU one-shots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to see PHOTOS, Ian !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a combination of Arkham Horror/Mansions of Madness miniatures for moving around and 3 coloured wooden discs to show each action we took by placing it where the action occurred. This helps us track our turns and see if we missed anything and prevents accidentally doing extra actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.