United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
and I started a campaign game last Saturday evening at the monthly meeting of SNEW (Southern New England Wargamers) and had a great time! It was a back and forth contest incorporating much of the usual wonderful Combat Commander craziness, but my attacking 29ers drove his paratroopers to the surrender level right before sudden death. We can’t wait to play the second game next month.

One rules question came up in setup: C1.72 “American Armor Support” left us unsure about whether my Americans had to spend an Armor point to get the off board Sherman tank radio/gun (and lose 4 VPs) in order to get the second part of the rules section, the two satchel charges (and the free deploy event to create the Engineering Teams who would use them, and subsequent loss of 1 VP)? Or could you just get the Engineering Teams by themselves without taking the tank support.

In other words, are these combined or independent choices?

We played that I could forego the tanks (and the 4 VP hit) and just get the bocage buster Teams ( losing 1 VP only). That way I kept the air support chit side up instead of on Recall mode ( of course the P-47s aborted anyway and I never got to use them as Nick pulled the German interdiction event almost immediately after the game started, so it was moot)

It seemed to us that the two choices were independent, but after reviewing this forum, we couldn’t find the ruling, so I thought I’d ask you experts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all part of the Armor Support selection. If you don't take Armor Support, you forego the satchel charges and the Deploy option during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks...It looks like we made the wrong interpretation, unfortunately.

I had purchased the Engineer Squad as well, and thereby had four satchel charges to blow holes in the bocage instead of two, so I would've been slowed down considerably, and that could have changed the outcome of the game. I also used two of the charges in normal one hex fire attacks as well, which eventually eliminated some of Nick's units. And since I won by Nick reaching the surrender level first, I think I had an unfair advantage.

Nick, if you're reading this thread, do you want to replay scenario 1 and start fresh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MatthewE wrote:
OK, thanks...It looks like we made the wrong interpretation, unfortunately.

I had purchased the Engineer Squad as well, and thereby had four satchel charges to blow holes in the bocage instead of two, so I would've been slowed down considerably, and that could have changed the outcome of the game. I also used two of the charges in normal one hex fire attacks as well, which eventually eliminated some of Nick's units. And since I won by Nick reaching the surrender level first, I think I had an unfair advantage.

Nick, if you're reading this thread, do you want to replay scenario 1 and start fresh?

No need. We can move forward with an "asterisk campaign" and get it right for the rest of the way. I imagine you would have been more likely to use the armor point with the correct interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m fine with going forward with the second scenario with an asterisk as long as you’re ok with it—- but how about, just to assuage my guilty feelings that the main reason a schlub like me bested a tournament recognized CC ubermensch was due to a misreading of the rules, that we ignore my choice of demoting your command squad to Green after the German loss, we keep you at Line? Seems like possible compensation?

And yes, re: the Armor point— I wanted the satchel charges for the bocage busting but thought armor support would’ve been less useful in the extremely close terrain. I also thought the air support might be somewhat helpful, but definitely secondary to the satchel charges Engineering Teams, as it’s just a random event and not an order or action; and as you remember, the fighter-bombers aborted (due to weather in my imagination) very soon after the game started and I never used them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just keep going forward as-is...I like a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Epstein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it! See you next month on the Martinville Ridge Road...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.