4 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Case File Construction System & Bosses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
new user
Hi, I'm loving this game : i have played 10+ sessions without any major issue with the rules until today.

NB : i'm not a native english speaker, so I hope I'll be understandable ^^'. If I'm not, please let me know and I'll try to reformulate .

I used the case file construction system (not my first time with it) and chose the frog monster as threat.
As instructed, I picked the bosses enemy cards with the tags : Frogs, Arcanist and Ogru Hem and created a small deck with them that I put aside.
I built the rest of the case file deck, and chose a random confrontation card.

We played the scenario and when we reached the confrontation, the boss specified on the confrontation card wasn't one of the boss enemy cards set aside.

In order to keep playing, I picked all the confrontation cards from the "regular" cases with one of the possible bosses (e.i. bosses with the mentionned tags), we picked one at random and finished the game (successfully !).

We managed, but what would have been the correct way to set the case deck file in order to have the "right" boss ?
Only one of the confrontation from the case file deck building system is generic and none use bosses from the standard game or the conqueror worm expansion (
Spoiler (click to reveal)
both Rasputin, Giant Frog monster, the tentacles and the worm
).

Is there a way to build a custom case file with a boss matching the threat ?
Hopefully I'm missing something and you guys will be able to help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the correct way wold have been to play against the boss on the randomly chosen confrontation card even if it does not fit to the other monsters.
In my first constructed case file I wondered why I had set aside the boss cards, but in a later game I also got the confrontation in which you use this deck. I liked this more as it felt more fitting.

I think you have to be aware that some of the constructed cases might not be as thematic as you want them to be. Like fighting wolfs in an old villa or something like that.

Quote:
Is there a way to build a custom case file with a boss matching the threat?

Maybe if you use only cards with a specific expansion symbol. Even then you can't be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
new user
Erf that's what i feared.

I don't mind the threat not matching the decor since a bit of story telling fix that easily. Same thing for the unexpected threat since they are well... unexpected . But meeting Baba Yaga after a game killing nazis soldiers seems a bit odd.

Looking back at the mentioned game, we got lucky to pick the giant frog monster which have a "regular" confrontation card which doesn't use elements from his case file (point of interest, marked room,...).

I think my house rule will be to pick the boss from the sided deck all the time and then find the matching confrontation card from the deck construction system. I'll use the generic confrontation card when there'll be no card matching the boss picked.

I'll also have to add the tag "Demon" to the bosses to set aside from one the threat cards, otherwise Ualac will never appear .

Thank you Carsten for the answer !
And as I saw there's one the game designer around here : maybe consider adding a confrontation for every existing boss in the case file construction system please ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
new user
I have been doing some maths on both regular rules and the house rule I spoke of.
Here the probability of each boss appearing :

Overall the normal rules favorise a lot the non-standard bosses. But then again I guess the goal was never to make all bosses equally probable to appear.

The thematic objectif of the house rule is almost achieved althought the Herman von Kemplt and Kriegaffe's confrontation can't happened. 'Gotta think of a way to fix that, maybe just flip a coin on picking his card.

In the process I spotted a few errors with the Case File Construction System :

1) Rasputin's Ghost can appear in a custom case with an abnormal threat despite not being playable in every configuration.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Some Custom Showdown require to kill all enemies, and with the boss card alone, he can't be kill

2) I guess it's more of a misprint than an error but : the "Beast" threat ask to select bosses with the "Fey" tag but there are none (the only Fey enemy is Iron Shoes and he doesn't seems to be boss material to me ). Maybe it's a mix up with the "Demon" tag, which would allow Ualac to appear a bit more frequently ? Or maybe the next expansions will add some Fey bosses ?

EDIT : 'forgot Kriegaffe (alone) in the first version of the spreadsheet.
EDIT 2 : 'tried to fix my english and I added more explanations on the errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.