Subject: Ambrosia on Opponents Titans not worth it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4-player game the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only gripe however was that attacking an opponents titan for ambrosia is hardly worth it since the total amount is capped by titan banners. Attacking in itself is very expensive and you also have to kill your threatening titan or use a lot of ambrosia to feed it.

I feel like it would make more since if you got to keep all of the ambrosia on an opponent's titan for defeating it.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Every 2 ambrosia you get can be used to repair a single empire card. Therefore, the ambrosia gain is capped at the titan's banner level to prevent players from having a guaranteed "no damage" titan battle.

Said another way, the maximum ambrosia you can gain by attacking an opponent's threatening titan is equal to half of the maximum damage you can receive from the titan:

* Titan = 1 ambrosia = repair 0.5 of 1 possible damaged empire card
** Titan = 2 ambrosia = repair 1 of 2 possible damaged empire cards
*** Titan = 3 ambrosia = repair 1.5 of 3 possible damaged empire cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the insight. I get the cap, it just seems like there are very few instances where it would be beneficial to raise the cost of your military and sustain damaged for a couple ambrosia. All the while your threatening titan is still bearing down on your city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, you also get the titan, not just the ambrosia. So, you get 1-3 banners and some other goodies (income, districts, etc). I agree, if you only got the ambrosia it wouldn't be worth it, especially since you are also essentially given an opponent at titan-free round. But if it gets you your 6th blue banner . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet but you also get banners and whatever abilites the titan adds to your city state. Maybe there a big military strategy that allows you to just kill multiple titans in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guanciale wrote:
I haven't played yet but you also get banners and whatever abilites the titan adds to your city state. Maybe there a big military strategy that allows you to just kill multiple titans in a round.

You may only attack one titan per round. So it would have to be a factor of that particular titan giving you something specific you need.

What might be cool is if you could make side deals. "I'll take care of your little titan problem for ya. Just 3 coins and all the spoils."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
newt321 wrote:
Played a 4-player game the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only gripe however was that attacking an opponents titan for ambrosia is hardly worth it since the total amount is capped by titan banners. Attacking in itself is very expensive and you also have to kill your threatening titan or use a lot of ambrosia to feed it.

I feel like it would make more since if you got to keep all of the ambrosia on an opponent's titan for defeating it.

Any thoughts?

What do you mean by "capped"? In the example in the rulebook, a level 3 titan that was previously placated with 3 ambrosia is again placated by adding an additional 4 ambrosia to the card. The titan now has 7 ambrosia on it. There is no cap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
Guanciale wrote:

You may only attack one titan per round. So it would have to be a factor of that particular titan giving you something specific you need.

What might be cool is if you could make side deals. "I'll take care of your little titan problem for ya. Just 3 coins and all the spoils."

One titan per turn, so you can fight multiple titans in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
newt321 wrote:

Any thoughts?

What do you mean by "capped"? In the example in the rulebook, a level 3 titan that was previously placated with 3 ambrosia is again placated by adding an additional 4 ambrosia to the card. The titan now has 7 ambrosia on it. There is no cap.

He means when you defeat an opponents titan you can only take the ambrosia off it up to the number of banners on the titan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
newt321 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Nevermind. Under the Attack a titan section it is explained that there is a limit to the ambrosia awarded. I had missed that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guanciale wrote:
spbtc wrote:
Guanciale wrote:

One titan per turn, so you can fight multiple titans in a round.

Whoops. My bad.

So, yes, with enough army capacity one could certainly attack several titans on a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the main (perhaps only) reason for attacking an opponent's threatening Titan is for the banners. Any ambrosia on it is just a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
Germany
Rottenburg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
IMO the main (perhaps only) reason for attacking an opponent's threatening Titan is for the banners. Any ambrosia on it is just a bonus.

After one game at 2p, I think attacking an opponent's titan is worthwhile to make sure they take a more threatening titan at the start of the next round. It then forces opponents to invest in military, get sufficient ambrosia to pay off the titan, or take a chance on rolling 2-3 dice at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Bastardo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can totally confirm this tactic (after three plays).

We noticed early on that killing your threatening titan as fast as possible is not a good idea most of the time. You can always see under the round tracker which level of titan your empty spot gets refilled with.

We often thought about the fact that feeding our current one will delay getting a stronger one for one turn and that this would benefit us more in the long run.

Killing another threatening titan and thereby forcing your opponent to draw an even stronger one (seeing their weak military) is quite brutal.

I killed another titan two times. One time to purely hose an opponent and another time to primarily get two ambrosia I really wanted (and semi-hosing them in the process).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game where we all saw that the first player next round was going to draw into a Titan that needed 9 swords to defeat. We all ended up killing each other's Titans trying to direct this monster at each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
krede60 wrote:
I played a game where we all saw that the first player next round was going to draw into a Titan that needed 9 swords to defeat. We all ended up killing each other's Titans trying to direct this monster at each other.

You don't draw the titan you can see - you draw from the bottom of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Bastardo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
You don't draw the titan you can see - you draw from the bottom of the deck.

I thought the same. The only possible way that could have happened is if that titan was the last card in the deck so basically that one titan was the rest of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.