12 Posts

Middara» Forums » Rules

Subject: Loot card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KingRalph KingRalph
msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you get a combatant loot card for EACH figure you kill or do you get one for each group you kill? I’m confused about when you get the combatant loot cards.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
Dungeon Crawler
badge
Ventas Fulmino!
mbmbmbmbmb
For most figures, it is one loot for each figure defeated. However, Cave Sickles are a Swarm Enemy, so you only get a loot card when the entire "swarm" (up to three of them) is defeated (1,2, and 3) or (4, 5, and 6).

SWARM: When a SWARM Combatant is Defeated, no Combatant
Loot is drawn unless it was the last Combatant of its kind in a Group
and its Initiative card is removed. For example, if there is only 1 ·
Cave Sickle left in a Group, and that Cave Sickle is Defeated, the
corresponding Cave Sickle Group's Initiative card is removed, and
the Adventurers Gain a Combatant Loot card.

Note: There are some other enemy types:

TRIVIAL: When a TRIVIAL Combatant is Defeated, no Combatant
Loot is drawn.

AVARICE (X): These Combatants carry more wealth than your
average Combatant. When an Adventurer Defeats a Combatant
with the AVARICE Tag, they draw extra Combatant Loot cards.
The X represents the amount of extra cards drawn. For example, an
AVARICE 1 Combatant would give 2 Combatant Loot cards instead of
the normal 1.

BOSS: Combatants with this tag represent particularly strong
opponents, players will fight these Combatants during special
Encounters throughout both the Adventure Mode and Crawl Mode.
BOSS Combatant cards are located in Hidden Card decks and will
be revealed whenever a Special Encounter Rule instructs players to
reveal and use it.

Some BOSS Combatants have special Monster Loot that players
will Gain when the BOSS is Defeated.
If this does occur, a Special
Encounter Rule will instruct them on how to Gain this Monster Loot.
Unless otherwise stated, Bosses drop Combatant Loot as normal,
however, if you draw the Monster Loot Card, you must re-draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teralial False
msg tools
Each monster unless they have the SWARM tag like Cave Sickles. For them it's each time you kill the last one for that iniative card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drustwn wrote:
Each monster unless they have the SWARM tag like Cave Sickles. For them it's each time you kill the last one for that iniative card.

I didn’t figure this out till 2/3 into Crawl 1. 1/3 in, I watched a video where this was shown (Rolling Solo) and I went through the manual and decided he must be incorrect. After the crawl I went through the manual line by line and discovered that this rule WAS in there and I had just missed it (and was unable to find it with a quick manual search).

Given how incredibly powerful these level 1 monsters can be for starting chracters (especially if concentrated), I’m not sure the reason for this rule.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Drustwn wrote:

I didn’t figure this out till 2/3 into Crawl 1. 1/3 in, I watched a video where this was shown (Rolling Solo) and I went through the manual and decided he must be incorrect. After the crawl I went through the manual line by line and discovered that this rule WAS in there and I had just missed it (and was unable to find it with a quick manual search).

IIRC, they cover the Swarm mechanics in the tutorial mission in the adventure mode...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PoshFrosh wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Drustwn wrote:

IIRC, they cover the Swarm mechanics in the tutorial mission in the adventure mode...

Yes but I haven’t played that yet (for reasons already covered). And I did see it in the Rolling Solo video but just couldn’t find it in the rules. I ended up after that encounter loading the PDF version of the manual into my iPad and used the search function to check every instance of SWARM in the manual and eventually found out where it was.

Again, the rules for SWARMING monsters is an exception to the normal rule for how players get loot. Every exception you make in the rules is one more thing for players to get wrong. The fewer exceptions there are, generally the easier to learn the game will be. Some exceptions are entirely worth it and some not so much.

Some designers (not these) seem to regard every rule as a place to put at least 5 exceptions, just to make sure you can never actually learn the game and play it confidently. Especially when you’re an old man whose memory is past its prime.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
PoshFrosh wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Drustwn wrote:

Yes but I haven’t played that yet (for reasons already covered). And I did see it in the Rolling Solo video but just couldn’t find it in the rules. I ended up after that encounter loading the PDF version of the manual into my iPad and used the search function to check every instance of SWARM in the manual and eventually found out where it was.

Again, the rules for SWARMING monsters is an exception to the normal rule for how players get loot. Every exception you make in the rules is one more thing for players to get wrong. The fewer exceptions there are, generally the easier to learn the game will be. Some exceptions are entirely worth it and some not so much.

Some designers (not these) seem to regard every rule as a place to put at least 5 exceptions, just to make sure you can never actually learn the game and play it confidently. Especially when you’re an old man whose memory is past its prime.zombie

The word "swarm" is used only 3 times in the entire rulebook and the 2nd and 3rd uses are in the same combatant tags section where it explains looting them.

You're making it sound like it was used all over the book and it took you ages to find the right section as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:
The word "swarm" is used only 3 times in the entire rulebook and the 2nd and 3rd uses are in the same combatant tags section where it explains looting them.

You're making it sound like it was used all over the book and it took you ages to find the right section as a result.

Hey I'm just telling you what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
cinos wrote:

Hey I'm just telling you what happened.

I was hoping you were over exaggerating in your inability to find the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cinos wrote:
I was hoping you were over exaggerating in your inability to find the rule.

Nope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I did see it in the Rolling Solo video but just couldn’t find it in the rules. I ended up after that encounter loading the PDF version of the manual into my iPad and used the search function to check every instance of SWARM in the manual and eventually found out where it was.

This reminds me of rule about not being able to Dodge in Water. I learned it from the Meet Me At The Table video, but couldn't find it in the rules because it's hidden in the terrain section instead of the section describing Dodge. So if you look up "Dodge" in the index, you'll never find out about the water exception.
I'm trying to get them to mention it there (using this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2184175/succubus-erratarule...) because I don't want someone else to suffer the same fate or learn the game wrong. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooklynn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PoshFrosh wrote:

I'm trying to get them to mention it there (using this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2184175/succubus-erratarule...) because I don't want someone else to suffer the same fate or learn the game wrong. zombie

I'll que it up and bounce it off our other designers. I Missed your other thread. I think that noting that Dodge cant happen in water in the Dodge section could be useful.

Thanks for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.