Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying Steve Dolges' great videos. One quick question. I don't see minor countries such as Montenegro and Luxembourg on the map. Any reason why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lindbekk
Norway
Sem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Luxembourg is just too small to be a separate country, consider it a part of Belgium. I guess Montenegro also should be considered a part of Serbia. In FA2, Montenegro was actually a separate country, with 1 Inf unit, if I remember correctly. But there is no need to separate Montenegro and Serbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also missing: Andorra, Monaco, San Marino!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Wendell: No Liechtenstein either! The game is broken !

Anyway Luxembourg would be one hex I would think. I can understand leaving it out for simplicity and it's not a big deal to me. I don't know that much about the Balkans during the war, but it seems to me merging Montenegro and Serbia is a more significant abstraction for a game with so much other detail. Again it's not a deal breaker to me but it would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind the simplification especially since it was mentioned Montenegro was in an earlier version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
@ Wendell: No Liechtenstein either! The game is broken !

Anyway Luxembourg would be one hex I would think. I can understand leaving it out for simplicity and it's not a big deal to me. I don't know that much about the Balkans during the war, but it seems to me merging Montenegro and Serbia is a more significant abstraction for a game with so much other detail. Again it's not a deal breaker to me but it would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind the simplification especially since it was mentioned Montenegro was in an earlier version.

Luxembourg would probably be somewhat less than a hex; given the resistance it put up to the Germans (i.e., zero - not knocking Luxembourg, it was just the reality given the disparity in size between the Grand Duchy and the German Empire) just incorporating it into Germany for game purposes was okay to me.

It's interesting to discuss, though! I could see Montenegro being a couple of hexes, having one corps. In historical terms, it was pretty well allied to Serbia anyway during the Balkan Wars and WW1; in game terms, not including (my logic here) them meant having one few minor country with a capital as a potential secondary supply source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lindbekk
Norway
Sem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Montenegro was considered as part of Serbia in FA2, but I clearly remember that there was a border defining Montenegro with Cetinje as the capital. I think they could cooperate with Serb units (maybe also controlled by them, don't remember). I also noticed it's absence from FA3. If you look at the map, Serbia clearly includes what would have been Montenegro. So for historical gameplay, just pretend that some of the Serb units are Montenegrin units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, it's certainly not a deal breaker. One thing I've heard about game design is to reduce the number of exceptions to rules, as it's tough as a player to remember them all. Here it may be a case of not making an exception to drawing war entry chits when the Central Powers declare war on tiny countries such as Montenegro and Luxembourg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dò the Clef
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

..what about the Vatican City.. ????? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lindbekk
Norway
Sem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vatican City should be introduced in WiF. Whenever Berlin falls, the German player may place 1 SS unit per turn in the Vatican, and then transport it from there to Argentina by sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eraser wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Vatican City didn't exist as an independent country until the Lateran Treaty in 1929.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dò the Clef
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
The Eraser wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Vatican City didn't exist as an independent country until the Lateran Treaty in 1929.

living in Italy I should have known the above.. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.