Subject: Combining all games + Capture the Flag Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolai Goppold
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

thinking about going "all in" and purchasing The Lost Cites, Rise of Rome and Origins (+ Addon Packages). Some Questions about that:

1) I read often, that RoR is the best of these games (i.e. for solo gaming). So, is TLC though worth a buy? How can i mix up all the games besides using the different cities and maps? How does Origins fit in=

2) Does anybody own the Extra-Map for Capture The Flag-Mode? Is it worth buying and can it played still solo?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schachtner
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I like to play games solo or over hangouts.
badge
Nothing to see here, madness.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can mix and match units as you like because there are clear substitution rules. If you decided not to get The Lost Cities, besides the arena mat, you would also be missing out on 3 of the 7 Cities. Xanadu, El Dorado, and Atlantis. And sicne you can use any of these units in either game, you are going to end up missing the variety playing just Rome and Pompeii.

The small chip expansions have specific rules for including them by removing certain other types of units.

And Yes Rise of Rome does have the better solo play; however, Origins has the best challenge system. So it is a mix.

I find Fel-Mal Ruins and TLC Arenas to each have their own charms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Goppold
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your response.

Picking up my question about Fel-Mal-Ruins - is the CTF-Mode playable solo too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alucardx8 wrote:
Thank you for your response.

Picking up my question about Fel-Mal-Ruins - is the CTF-Mode playable solo too?
yes. Ricky Royal proposed a rule set for this map. You can find it therehttp://96bda424cfcc34d9dd1a-0a7f10f87519dba22d2dbc6233a731e5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They all work together well, and all have their own charms for solo play. Here is a variant that I came up with using all three maps in one campaign that I find particularly enjoyable.

3 map campaign solo mode
Backstory... You have a group of arena fighters and you are trying to make a name for yourself by competing up the ranks until you debut your brawlers in Rome's legendary Colosseum!

Goal: Survive 1 scenario in each of the 3 arenas.
Select one of the cities. Though all of the units will be available for you to use, you will only use 6 of them (plus 1 tactic) in the first scenario, 6+1 in the second, and 4+1 in the last. Any unit that dies along the way and any city tactic that is used, is removed from the game and returned to the box.

Scenario 1: FaMel
Setup: Randomly choose one boss to fight against, and use the same setup guidelines for criminals/beasts for the original 1st scenario (2 of them). Set up a 1 chip equipment crate on the center hex just closer to your side of the map. Once this equipment is unlocked, if that unit dies, it is left on the field for another unit to pick up.
Get that archer to the other side or defeat the boss.
Any units still alive at the end of the scenario are to be returned to the unit bag to be drawn again in Scenario 2. Transfer your champion to the next scenario keeping track of what his current health is.
Any equipment that was equipped (and not left lying on the ground) is also transferred to the next scenario- see below.

Scenario 2: Pozzuoli
Setup: Randomly choose one boss to fight against, and use the same setup guidelines for criminals/beasts for the original 2nd scenario (3 of them). Set your champion up with his remaining health and inactive. Place any equipment earned from FaMel onto one of your gold unit circles. As you draw your units place them from left to right on the gold circles. The unit that is placed on top of the equipment starts with it from the beginning. Once again, randomly chose 1 city tactic to be used during this scenario. Don't forget to set up crowd favor chips as well. Set up a 2 chip equipment crate on the center hex just closer to your side of the map in front of the 1/2 spawning grate. Once this equipment is unlocked, if that unit dies, it is left on the field for another unit to pick up. Any units still alive at the end of the scenario are to be returned to the unit bag to be drawn again in Scenario 3. Transfer your champion to the next scenario keeping track of what his current health is.
Any equipment that was equipped (and not left lying on the ground) is also transferred to the next scenario- see below.

Scenario 3: Colosseum
Setup: Randomly choose one Titan to fight against, and use the same setup guidelines based on it's setup card. Set your champion up with his remaining health and inactive. Place any equipment earned from the previous arenas onto your gold unit circles (crowd favor rewards from Pozzuoli are NOT transferred). As you draw your units place them from left to right on the gold circles. The unit that is placed on top of the equipment starts with it from the beginning. Once again, randomly chose 1 city tactic to be used during this scenario. Don't forget to set up crowd favor gladiator and foothold chips as well. Set up a 3 chip equipment crate on any hex on the opposite side of the arena from you. Once this equipment is unlocked, if that unit dies, it is left on the field for another unit to pick up.

Vanquish the Titan and your Champion is still standing... win the game.

I was thinking that to augment difficulty:
easier- in scenario 1 earn a crowd favor tactic at the #2 crowd favor point.
more difficult- equipment doesn't transfer and dead units are returned to the box rather than the bag.

Tell me what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.