Hoplomachus: Origins» Forums » General

Subject: Which Hoplo game is best for first time players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i picked up the all in pledge of Hoplo along with TMB a while back and will be getting it to the table for the first time this weekend. Given that I own all 3 base games (Origins, Lost Cities & Rise of Rome) what is the best one to start with for a 2 player game with nobody having played it before? How long should i expect that first game to last? I've seen Origins and Rise of Rome say 30 mins but Lost cities says 60.

Additionally are there any factions you would suggest playing with for the first game?

Also would you reccommend straight PvP out the gate? Or try a PvE scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schachtner
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I like to play games solo or over hangouts.
badge
Nothing to see here, madness.
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
So i picked up the all in pledge of Hoplo along with TMB a while back and will be getting it to the table for the first time this weekend. Given that I own all 3 base games (Origins, Lost Cities & Rise of Rome) what is the best one to start with for a 2 player game with nobody having played it before? How long should i expect that first game to last? I've seen Origins and Rise of Rome say 30 mins but Lost cities says 60.

Additionally are there any factions you would suggest playing with for the first game?

Also would you reccommend straight PvP out the gate? Or try a PvE scenario?

I believe Rise of Rome is going to have the best PvE scenario for two players playing cooperatively. Lost Cities is also good with two players. Origins is going to feel like the Arenas are very small for a two player PvP game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Powell
United Kingdom
sHifnal
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Rise of Rome.
I would also stick with the base cites in Rise of Rome.
No add on's or expansion cites like Machu Picu.
It's fairly straightforward and once you have had a game under your belt all should be come clear.
Good choice, enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Dodin
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with The Lost Cities versus Rise of Rome. I think you should become accustomed to how the rules for TLC function before moving on to Rise of Rome. TLC gives you a choice of three cities vs. two cities in RoR so there is a greater opportunity to learn the various skills and abilities of the various factions. Which one to go with first has been addressed before in the forums, but in brief, TLC provides a good opportunity to learn how to earn crowd favor before the RoR modifications to that process. Also, the beasts, criminals, and bosses offer a good opportunity to learn how the AI/enemy combatants work before taking on the Titans themselves in RoR. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.