Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Mid game to late goals for core campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of strategy discussions for this game focus narrowly in early core objectives and expansion content, but I'm not seeing much talk about how to proceed once a player has leather armor and decent weapons (counterweight axe, zanbato). Working through the armor sets to leather seemed like worthwhile goals for early game, it now that I've earned it I'm a bit lost where to go. It seems like the game wants me to jump into early iron weapons and Phoenix armor, but both of these seem quite poor. Im working on a lantern armor set, but haven't made the jump to level 3 monsters yet and it feels a bit anticlimactic that all the important resources are collected before the showdown even begins.

Also, are there any guidelines on when you are ready for level 3 monsters? "Wait until dash and a decent tank" worked pretty well for level 2, but I haven't seen similar advice for level 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
I'm going to assume you're just playing core.

For level 3, I'd say that you want good armor, a shield, and good weapons on all of your survivors, plus dash, surge, and a good amount of survival (6+). If you have all of that, it still kind of depends - surviving level 3s becomes as much a matter of controlling the monster and making sure its targeting who you want, who is hopefully blocking and / or has high evasion. Beyond that, you just need to be able to put the thing down fast.

As far as mid-game, I think these are some goals:

1) Beacon shields for everyone (seriously)
2) Try to get the Barber Surgeon up
3) Get a least one lantern armor set along with a good club (probably just one set, but who knows)
4) Get the innovations necessary to pump out some great babies - like Clan of Death and all of that Hovel-related stuff you hopefully avoided early
5) Get some top tier weapons. This is a little more ambiguous, and I'm having a hard time remembering offhand what's top tier in just core. I believe the Phoenix bow is very good. If you have lantern armor, you'll want one club, and I can't remember which club is the best in core. If memory serves, the weapons that require level 3 quarries are semi-disappointing.
7) Use Sculpture, Nightmare Training, Forbidden Dance, and other more complicated innovations to create survivors that have proficiency, mastery, good stats, and great fighting arts.
8) Fill out any masteries you lack (and want)

The phoenix set is, indeed, disappointing. You can maybe make one survivor with mismatched gear to take advantage of the chest piece, but don't bother with the full set.

The early game is easy to write a script for because everyone starts at the same point. It's much easier to predict. The late game is a little harder to slap goals on because it will vary based on where your settlement is. Generally speaking, though, you just want the best weapons, armor, and survivors possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, core game the main goal for L3s is certainly Beacon Shields along with the better Blacksmith weapons (Dragon Slayer, Lantern Glaive) and stuff like the Arc Bow. Beacon Shields along with evasion gives you a lot of what you need to neuter the L3s. Send them to whiff city.

Best core club is Bone Club followed by Skullcap Hammer, typically you use both in combination with Lantern Armor because of the affinities.

And yes, Phoenix armor is pretty lackluster - the iron is better spent on more blacksmith stuff. This changes when you have access to the hybrid armor sets though.

However, as Cymb has written the reason you don't see late game guides is because of the branching nature of the game. One late game settlement looks very different to another one, so it's hard to give advice that's accurate and reasonable without moving into a case by case basis.

If you can handle the L2 core quarry monsters though, the L3 versions are not much of a step up. Especially the L3 Phoenix which isn't much harder than the L2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The phoenix armor set is most easily usable in its entirety once you get the Survivor's lantern. It's matched perfectly to fix one of the three affinities on the chest. As for the other ones, there are a few options. iirc The Arc Bow or the Zambato can take care of one of the two side affinities. I remember using the Zambato with the phoenix cloak for the left and the survivor's lantern for the right. It's very difficult without the lantern to get the whole thing to work using only the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
The Phoenix set is fine, probably a bit underrated. People don't like it because it's one of the only armour sets that forces you to actually work to get the various pieces activated, which can cost valuable gear grid slots (bad on hunts, but manageable against nemesis monsters). It has some nice features, hit cancelling, bonus evasion with helm, bonus movement with boots and the insanity buff. I think everyone is just spoiled by Rawhide, Leather, Screaming, and Cycloid, the overpowered Mount Rushmore of KDM armour sets, so anything that's actually a reasonable power level for when it appears in the game looks bad in comparison.

The Lantern set is much worse than Phoenix. Ridiculously overcosted, strength bonus only helps clubs (which are bad in the core game), heavy gear keyword, and the boots movement bonus (which requires affinity activation) is negated by chest piece. All just to deliver a bit more unnecessary armour (letting higher level monsters actually hit you is usually a bad idea due to after damage effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osku Odi
msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually really enjoyed my Phoenix armor in our last campaign. I didn't manage to build a whip dude out of him as I originally planned because of the affinities, would need a lucky roll on herb gathering to get the extra affinities.

So basically he had the Phoenix Armor, Antelope Mask and Oxidized Lantern Sword. So he had base strength 6, movement 7. So he could charge to get base str 13, add weapon strength + sharp so wounding monsters wasn't really a problem. And since he had the Antelope mask, he could do that twice per turn (charge, dash away, charge again with surge+the extra movement from antelope mask).

Though, with the extra permanent speed and the speed from sword mastery, he would draw traps every now and then, going through 10 HLs per turn.

Also with the double movement+dash, he could pretty much always reach the monster, no matter where the monster is.

I'm not saying the phoenix armor is good, I'm saying it was fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Walling
msg tools
I definately agree on the assesment of Lantern Armor. It's a lot of work for a couple extra points of armor and sharp for a set of really poor to mediocre weapons. I personally just build weapons with innate sharp/high strength and better proficiencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Really depends on your play style.

Personally, I gun for the Rainbow Katana and Blood Sheath. Yes, the Rainbow Katana has 4 speed and 4 accuracy, greatly increasing the trap risk, but with the blood sheath the fragile stat becomes sharp. With sharp you get an extra d10 strength roll to each attack, on top of your stat and the 4 base strength, it's crazy strong.

Mining for Rainbow Katana and Blood Sheath gear will require a few showdowns with the Phoenix, so definitely a leather armor set, which prevents bash... Getting knocked down by the Phoenix or being out of range is incredibly dangerous as it leads to spiral age.

As far as innovations, I forget the names (I think it's saga etc.) I go for innovations which birth stronger newborns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chinh Tran
msg tools
mbmbmb
fenpaints wrote:
If you can handle the L2 core quarry monsters though, the L3 versions are not much of a step up. Especially the L3 Phoenix which isn't much harder than the L2.

I'm sorry, but what?!? The L3 Phoenix has +5 Toughness over the L2. I have guys needing 3+ to wound a L2 now needing 8+ on a L3. It has +2 Luck tokens, so it's much harder to crit, and Indomitable makes Knockdowns nowhere near as devastating against it. IMO, L2 Phoenix is much closer in difficulty to a L1 than a L3. L1 & L2 feel like glass cannons, L3 is a different beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
For me, the goals for mid-late game in the core campaign game mainly revolve around figuring out how I'm going to get through the GSK's
Spoiler (click to reveal)
27 toughness
and working towards that. If you're planning on fighting any of the harder level 3s or legendaries you can figure out how you want to tackle them and work towards that as well.

Once I got good enough at the game that simply beating it was pretty easy I started also thinking up a few cool/wacky builds in mind for each campaign and trying to finish those as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.