Roger Guz
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi can you give some recommendations between these two games ? I want to buy one of these to play solo, but I’m in the middle since the two have great comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogerguz wrote:
Hi can you give some recommendations between these two games ? I want to buy one of these to play solo, but I’m in the middle since the two have great comments

Spirit Island.

Never not had fun playing it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panupong Chotiveschakarn
Thailand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spirit Island first

MoM2nd is really good but need expansion to keep the game fresh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mikolajczyk
United States
Blue Knob
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They're both very different games.

S.I. is a tactical grinder...I know I'm in the minority but I really didn't like it at all and ended up selling it. It's a spreadsheet game where you're using resources to counterbalance exponentially spreading counter-resources until you overcome the mathematics of the antagonist's engine. To me it felt more like doing taxes and balancing books.

MoM2e is a haunted house game with heavy theme and atmosphere. It's got its own engine built-in with a count-down clock that forces you to figure out the story, discern the victory conditions, and achieve them before the game's internal clock counts down to an inevitable failure condition.

MoM2e is also app driven, which sets it apart a bit.

I'll admit MoM scenarios are much more exciting the first time you play through them, as you're unraveling the story. I've played all of the base scenarios several times, however, and don't mind at all playing them again.

I'd play MoM2e any day, but you'd have to really press me to play S.I...though I know that's a minority opinion...FWIW.

Best,
AJM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are definitely choosing between a couple winners there. I'm guessing neither theme jumped out at you? That would be as good a reason to choose as any.

I'm going to side with suggesting Spirit Island. Not only is it my personal preference, but it is thematically unique in a way that MoM 2e is not (you can find other Arkham games out there). I do own and quite like both though.

Spirit Island is definitely the more mentally rigorous game, which can be good or bad to your tastes. With Spirit Island you are going to routinely be making plenty of decisions, implementing a long term strategy and short term tactical needs. MoM 2e you often don't know how to win, and are having that process of discovery, but accordingly that means gameplay has to be more tactical.

There are days where Spirit Island is too long and heavy for me, but MoM2 is also probably going to be too heavy for me. Even if the gameplay is lighter, setup and tear down and space needs are substantial.

I think the app for MoM 2e is a wash. It's a great app that works well. It has crashed on me once erasing my game. Early on I had problems now and again with a misinput or misunderstanding, and that's on me, but it messed up some scenarios.

In terms of replayability - Spirit Island has the capacity to play with different spirits that all feel very different, and you can add scenarios and/or specific adversaries, so you have a lot of options. You are always going to do much the same thing, though some scenarios may modify win conditions, but you won't stray as much. For MoM2e, with expansions, the different scenarios did feel pretty unique. I haven't done a lot of replaying the same scenario over and over, but my impression was the changes ran to the superficial (this time the house is on that side of the street, and it was the maid not the butler that did it).

Spirit Island has one expansion, it's mostly great and the one part I'm so so on is still good and I always use it. Another expansion is mid-kickstart. MoM2e has a lot more expansions, 2 tiles/figures, 2 just to the game, I think some digital scenario expansions too.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Guz
Mexico
flag msg tools
Doc Mage wrote:
You are definitely choosing between a couple winners there. I'm guessing neither theme jumped out at you? That would be as good a reason to choose as any.

I'm going to side with suggesting Spirit Island. Not only is it my personal preference, but it is thematically unique in a way that MoM 2e is not (you can find other Arkham games out there). I do own and quite like both though.

Spirit Island is definitely the more mentally rigorous game, which can be good or bad to your tastes. With Spirit Island you are going to routinely be making plenty of decisions, implementing a long term strategy and short term tactical needs. MoM 2e you often don't know how to win, and are having that process of discovery, but accordingly that means gameplay has to be more tactical.

There are days where Spirit Island is too long and heavy for me, but MoM2 is also probably going to be too heavy for me. Even if the gameplay is lighter, setup and tear down and space needs are substantial.

I think the app for MoM 2e is a wash. It's a great app that works well. It has crashed on me once erasing my game. Early on I had problems now and again with a misinput or misunderstanding, and that's on me, but it messed up some scenarios.

In terms of replayability - Spirit Island has the capacity to play with different spirits that all feel very different, and you can add scenarios and/or specific adversaries, so you have a lot of options. You are always going to do much the same thing, though some scenarios may modify win conditions, but you won't stray as much. For MoM2e, with expansions, the different scenarios did feel pretty unique. I haven't done a lot of replaying the same scenario over and over, but my impression was the changes ran to the superficial (this time the house is on that side of the street, and it was the maid not the butler that did it).

Spirit Island has one expansion, it's mostly great and the one part I'm so so on is still good and I always use it. Another expansion is mid-kickstart. MoM2e has a lot more expansions, 2 tiles/figures, 2 just to the game, I think some digital scenario expansions too.

Hope this helps!

Thank you that’s a good review! Imagine that you will travel alone and you have one space just to pic one with you ,which game will you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Both are excellent games and honestly I'd recommend both.

If I had to choose one over the other to purchase first, it would be Spirit Island and then MoM2E because I think Spirit Island arguably has a slightly higher replay factor... ie I think it will hit the table a little more often and potentially draw you back to the game more often.

They both have excellent expansions available for them as well so there's plenty of variety and replayability in both... and both play well solo... probably the edge again goes to Spirit Island there as well.

Spirit Island is the more complex and "deeper" game while Mansions of madness is lighter in complexity and arguably more thematic. The app integration in Mansions of Madness is also excellent but some don't like apps in boardgames at all... so that's a factor for some as well.

It also comes down to theme.. do you like the Cthulhu theme of MoM or the more unique "repelling invaders" theme of Spirit Island?

In the end I don't think either is a poor choice... they are both very highly ranked and regarded games and it's actually hard to say which one an individual would prefer without them actually trying the games to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Gottardi
Italy
Lavis
Trento
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Spirit Island.

What I didn't like with Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. was the companion app.
With that, you end up playing on the phone/PC/tablet while copying the state on the table, and I feel like it's not a boardgame anymore.

Don't get me wrong, an app is useful in games like this, where finding an experienced master might be quite difficult, but games end up being too digital for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MoM is not bad, but if you want the better value for the amount spent, absolutely Spirit Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters, a treasure token from Nemo's War, and a First Martians condition token. Also maybe a Fallout "L" token.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Island by far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
For solo play, Spirit Island. While they are very different games (I think they can't even be compared, but others already explained that), for Solo Play, Setup Time is very important and you can setup Spirit Island in 5 Minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some people already have pointed out, this seems to be a choice between two very different games. Of the two, I've only played Spirit Island.

In my opinion it is very strange that Spirit Island is ranked on the thematic top list. It's a challenging, thinky game with clever mechanisms. The theme is interesting and unique, I like it, but the theme is not strong. I do not find this game immersive at all. It's more of an abstract puzzle than a story. The puzzle, however, is a fun, tough challenge. But it's not an adventure, not a story, and not a game for the thematic top 100.

I'm pointing this out since the other game you're thinking of seems to be very thematic and story driven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.