Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love the GotG movies, so we use these heroes a fair amount when we play (especially Rocket, because he is an idol to one of my boys, which is worrisome). However, I'm of the opinion this expansion just doesn't jive well with the rest of the game. The shard mechanic is a problem to me since only these characters use them and seem to rely heavily on them. I feel like Gamora should be able to stand toe-to-toe with most villains without the need for some shiny bits of rock.

Also, I HATE that Thanos leads the Infinity Gems rather than the Black Order. I feel like this limits how you can use him in other schemes. The Gems aren't enemies and most of their appearance in the comics is trying to keep them out of someone's hands. I understand he has the alt win condition based around the gems, but I've never come close to having it trigger.

Finally, it really bugs me that there seems to be no synergy between Rocket and Groot. Those two should be tied at the hip, but they just feel like two random heroes.

I've created an entire variant for this expansion that removes the shards mechanic, adds in the Black Order, and gives Rocket and Groot some bromance. I'm not here to share it as it was made with my boys, so it's not a work of art and I think some of our design choices were not ideal. But it's ours

However, I am curious if anyone else agrees with me and has taken the insane step of redoing the entire expansion like we did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I actually like the expansion, but agree with a lot of your points. I strongly agree that would be nice to have a Black Order Villain group given the fact we have most of them as "heroes" anyway--it seems ludicrous that I have them as playable "heroes" but not as a villain group. After the Venom expansion, we now have two of Thanos, yet no Black Order. I have not redone the entire expansion, but have toyed a little bit with a Black Order custom variant. One of the things that held me back is I was halfway expecting them to release an expansion for the MCU version this year and that there would be a strong likelihood they could include Thanos and the Black Order. It seems less likely based on what has been announced this year, but maybe there is still hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done anything like this, but I'd agree with you in a general sense. If you want to post your changes, maybe you can get some feedback to tighten things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
I haven't done anything like this, but I'd agree with you in a general sense. If you want to post your changes, maybe you can get some feedback to tighten things up.

I would if it was ones I created, but since my kids "helped," I'll leave the flaws I see alone.

Though I did prevent my little Rocket fan from making the trash panda into a nuclear bomb with a tail! I think he wanted his common attack card to cause 100 damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you have checked out the custom database. There are 3 Black Order entries in there. There are many other Enemies/Heroes/Bystanders that use Shards as well in there for you to explore

You can check them out and compare with yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
crimsonlaw wrote:

Though I did prevent my little Rocket fan from making the trash panda into a nuclear bomb with a tail! I think he wanted his common attack card to cause 100 damage

Well, that makes sense you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
crimsonlaw wrote:
I would if it was ones I created, but since my kids "helped," I'll leave the flaws I see alone.

Oh, I missed that bit. I understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:
I strongly agree that would be nice to have a Black Order Villain group given the fact we have most of them as "heroes" anyway--it seems ludicrous that I have them as playable "heroes" but not as a villain group.

Completely agree. I would love an official Black Order set. It's #1 on my list of most wanted villain groups.

We get heroes as villains and villains as heroes... What's going on at UD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:
crimsonlaw wrote:

Well, that makes sense you know!

It certainly did to his little mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree regarding Rocket and Groot (I even made them a custom divided set), but I do think they synergise better than I initially thought.

Trigger Happy is boosted by all of Groot's cards and Groot's commons give you bigger hands with less junk in them, so you can rake in the Shards. Gritty Scavenger works well in any deck and can helps draw more of Groots cards to capitalise on the Strength synergy between his commons. Once you have a pile of Shards, Groot's uncommon can help you use them to bag rare cards etc.

I played them together with Cyclops in the latest Guardians starter league and found they performed really well (I didn't have many Cyclops cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
I assume you have checked out the custom database.

All the time I've wasted on here and I've never seen this! Thank you for sharing! Really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crimsonlaw wrote:
Droideka_D84 wrote:
I assume you have checked out the custom database.

All the time I've wasted on here

Pretty sure it’s impossible to waste time on BGG. This is all very important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I'm still catching up on things (I'm somewhere in the middle of Schism storyline) but how long has the Black Order been around Thanos?

In all the stories I've seen with him so far (Infinity Gauntlet\War\Quest\Abyss, Annihiliation, Cancerverse) I haven't seen any of them mentioned.

As for the Guardians expansion, I honestly don't have much problems with them. Shards is just another mechanic. Seeing that some characters use them and others don't doesn't seem bothersome to me.

Some characters use Sidekicks and others don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
I'm still catching up on things (I'm somewhere in the middle of Schism storyline) but how long has the Black Order been around Thanos?

In all the stories I've seen with him so far (Infinity Gauntlet\War\Quest\Abyss, Annihiliation, Cancerverse) I haven't seen any of them mentioned.

I think they are rather new. The debuted in like 2012/2013. They appeared in the Infinity story line where Thanos attacks the Illuminati to get at the Infinity Stones. And I think several of them get killed in that story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.