Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: New FAQ released rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kaytor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/23/the-bla...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler G
United States
Kentwood
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Love this idea of the List of Taboos! I haven't read into it much yet beyond the preview, so I may have more thoughts later, but this proves to me the strength of this game and its design space that such an idea can event exist and be as flexible as it sounds.

Also seems like they're making the Dunwich investigators' deckbuilding options more intuitive with regard to restrictions such as those introduced by the multiclass cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboos seem like reasonable changes.

Not sure we will use it, but only do to laziness of having to remember.

Dr. Milan and Rex changes seem reasonable. (Once per round)

Scrapper and Switchblade Level 2 lose a pip. (OK)

Streetwise and Higher Ed gain 2 pips. (Seems fine)

Key of Ys gains exceptional. (Probably still worth 10 XP...)

Machete and Elusive gain 2 pips. (Never thought Elusive was that broken, but OK)

Delve slightly nerfed in multiplayer. (Seems OK)

Slight of hand limitation seems unfun, but otherwise I like rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaytor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree. I like they give you the option of the taboos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

Machete and Elusive gain 2 pips. (Never thought Elusive was that broken, but OK)

I think you may be misreading the Limited list. Those pips are additional experience to purchase those cards. So Streetwise and Higher Ed cost 8xp apiece (although they are still considered Level 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler G
United States
Kentwood
MI
flag msg tools
mb
youperguy wrote:

From what I've read, actually:

Rex is once per round, but Dr. Milan is only exhausted. Which means if there's a way to un-exhaust him, you can use his ability again that turn.

Scrapper and Switchblade actually GAIN those pips. To quote the FAQ:
Quote:
"Cards from this list have their experience cost increased by the number of dots next to their title, as listed below."

Which means Streetwise and Higher Education are still only level 3, but actually cost 8 XP(!) total.

Yeah, probably still worth it.

I both like and dislike that Machete costs 2XP. On one hand, it always was a ridiculously good Guardian card. On the other hand, I now wonder if it's still worth picking up if using the List of Taboos as compared to other Guardian weapons. But since it's now making me question a card choice instead of auto-including Machete, the system must indeed be working.

As for the Elusive nerf being necessary or not, Matt Newman has always claimed that Elusive is the most powerful card in the core set. I still don't know if I agree or not, but that explains the extra XP cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intuitive is subjective, but they are definitely in line with the more permissive interpretation of the rules. And Norman is kept as an exception as well, so strange. I feel like they could have done that more clearly but since it would take more dramatic errata to the cards I'm not surprised they did it this way.

I love the idea of the taboos, it's a great way to shake up the meta.

What's unclear to me is if taboos are going to apply to official events or not, in the past they haven't been especially clear about the official rules of building decks for those events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still somewhat unclear about multiclass cards and deckbuilding. The general rules are much clearer but this paragraph is confusing:

Quote:
= Investigators with unlimited access to one class and limited
access to one or more “other” classes (i.e. Marie Lambeau, Finn
Edwards, Carolyn Fern): A multi-class card will not occupy one of
the investigator’s limited slots, because it falls into the unlimited
category (see Deckbuilding Options, expanded, above).

I don't see how Marie and the others are different from the Dunwich investigators, since they all have 'unlimited access to one class and limited access to one or more “other” classes'.

In particular, Marie's deckbuilding is:
Spell cards level 0-5, Mystic cards level 0-3, Neutral cards level 0-5, Occult cards level 0, up to five other level 0 Seeker and/or Survivor cards.

Grisly totem is a level 0 Seeker/Survivor card. But according to the new FAQ Grisly Totem "will not occupy one of the investigator’s limited slots, because it falls into the unlimited category"... I fail to see how this applies to Marie. Same goes for Finn, and also Carolyn with Scroll of Secrets. I would think it makes more sense to apply the same rules as the Dunwich investigators here.

Or am I missing something obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I really love these changes!

I played one campaign with Rex and it turned out to be really unfun, with a severe lack of tension. With the change, it becomes much more interesting to Deckbuild with him instead of just operating on autopilot all the time.

Milan being mutated means that the other Seeker allies all come under consideration again.

Higher Ed means that the core set talents or the Composures suddenly look a lot more appealing.

Machete being mutated is tough, but interesting. Not sure what replacements Guardians will use. I don’t have TFA or TCU cards in my cardpool yet so it looks like my options are Knife, Blackjack, Kukri, the Colt, the .45 Automatic .

I loved having Elusive in my 0exp Sefina decks, but hey, Astral Travel still exists!

Though I think it wouldve been interesting if Acidic Ichor was mutated to +1 damage (instead of +2) or maybe 2 supplies instead of 3. It still feels above the curve to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
I'm still somewhat unclear about multiclass cards and deckbuilding. The general rules are much clearer but this paragraph is confusing:

Quote:

I don't see how Marie and the others are different from the Dunwich investigators, since they all have 'unlimited access to one class and limited access to one or more “other” classes'.

Spell cards level 0-5, Mystic cards level 0-3, Neutral cards level 0-5, Occult cards level 0, up to five other level 0 Seeker and/or Survivor cards.

Grisly totem is a level 0 Seeker/Survivor card. But according to the new FAQ Grisly Totem "will not occupy one of the investigator’s limited slots, because it falls into the unlimited category"... I fail to see how this applies to Marie. Same goes for Finn, and also Carolyn with Scroll of Secrets. I would think it makes more sense to apply the same rules as the Dunwich investigators here.

That paragraph seems in context to be only about multi-class cards that fall into one unlimited class and another limited class, like a Mystic/Seeker card for Marie. Sadly, given the point of the FAQ, the wording is sloppy.

The more general rule "If one of the categories of an investigator’s deckbuilding options contains the word 'other' in it, cards only fall into this category if they fall into no other category," would seem to apply to Marie here for a Mystic/Seeker card.

The case of Seeker/Survivor for Marie is (unfortunately) not directly addressed, but in context it seems clear to me that it would be permissible and also take one of the limited Seeker/Survivor slots. The point made about Dunwich decks "A card cannot take up more than one 'out of class' slot, regardless of how many class icons the card bears," seems to be directly relevant, despite it not explicitly including Marie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iwallace wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I think you may be misreading the Limited list. Those pips are additional experience to purchase those cards. So Streetwise and Higher Ed cost 8xp apiece (although they are still considered Level 3).

Oops blushblushblush my bad you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iceysnowman wrote:
Machete being mutated is tough, but interesting. Not sure what replacements Guardians will use. I don’t have TFA or TCU cards in my cardpool yet so it looks like my options are Knife, Blackjack, Kukri, the Colt, the .45 Automatic .

Also Trench Knife. All Guardians have other options than those of course, like "I've Got a Plan!" for Roland and Mark (Edit: No, it would be terrible for Mark) and anything Level 0 for Zoey. I'd say in general that the "experienced players" referred to in the preview as needing Taboos also implies a fairly large collection of cards. If you think your options are too limited with Taboos, don't use Taboos, they're always optional.

Edit: Something else to consider is that Skids and William actually have better initial weapon selection than your Guardians, so this might push you to using one of them instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

Quote:

That paragraph seems in context to be only about multi-class cards that fall into one unlimited class and another limited class, like a Mystic/Seeker card for Marie. Sadly, given the point of the FAQ, the wording is sloppy.

The more general rule "If one of the categories of an investigator’s deckbuilding options contains the word 'other' in it, cards only fall into this category if they fall into no other category," would seem to apply to Marie here for a Mystic/Seeker card.

The case of Seeker/Survivor for Marie is (unfortunately) not directly addressed, but in context it seems clear to me that it would be permissible and also take one of the limited Seeker/Survivor slots. The point made about Dunwich decks "A card cannot take up more than one 'out of class' slot, regardless of how many class icons the card bears," seems to be directly relevant, despite it not explicitly including Marie.

That makes sense. I think the meaning is clear this time around, just very poorly worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

Are they going to included updated versions of these cards in future packs, or are you supposed to remember this stuff?

I can't see myself checking their FAQ every time I build a deck or upgrade a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usaretamA wrote:

Are they going to included updated versions of these cards in future packs, or are you supposed to remember this stuff?

I can't see myself checking their FAQ every time I build a deck or upgrade a card.

Since it's optional, I'm sure they won't change the cards themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
usaretamA wrote:

I agree, I probably won't follow the list unless there was an easy way to print Tabooed cards or buy them. Then I would probably consider it. Otherwise too much work to try to remember what cards are on the list. And I enjoy the card pool how it is right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of all the changes. So much so that I will be printing up the changes on sticker sheets and applying to affected cards. Key of Ys, Rex, and HE needed the nerf the worst. Rex should have always been once per round and the other two are still great even with a much higher xp cost.

The machette nerf hurts but it was too much of an auto-include before so I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
usaretamA wrote:

I doubt they do.

All reasonable changes IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Hin Man
msg tools
monorico wrote:
usaretamA wrote:

I agree, I probably won't follow the list unless there was an easy way to print Tabooed cards or buy them. Then I would probably consider it. Otherwise too much work to try to remember what cards are on the list. And I enjoy the card pool how it is right now.

I think some fans will soonly make stickers to indicate those variant changes on the bottom of those cards so that you can stick them onto the card sleeves. But in my opinion, it may be better to officially release printable stickers for aesthetic and consistency reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changes are too important.
The "same level but higher XP cost" is an uneasy way to change the cards.

I won't apply all these changes: the game is already difficult enough for me and applying the changes would make it unplayable to the disgust point. Instead, I'll keep trying different things : a clue gatherer who can't have Higher education, a fighter who can't have the Machete, a group which can't use Delve to deep, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelvinman_123456 wrote:
monorico wrote:
usaretamA wrote:

I think some fans will soonly make stickers to indicate those variant changes on the bottom of those cards so that you can stick them onto the card sleeves. But in my opinion, it may be better to officially release printable stickers for aesthetic and consistency reasons.

I don't like stickering over sleeves, they tend to peel off during shuffling. I might go with small reminder cards.

If I decide to apply the changes at all, that is. I'm leaning towards yes (Machete, Milan, Key of Ys were too much of an auto-include that the game lacked variety) but my partner disagrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Changes are too important.
The "same level but higher XP cost" is an uneasy way to change the cards.

I won't apply all these changes: the game is already difficult enough for me and applying the changes would make it unplayable to the disgust point. Instead, I'll keep trying different things : a clue gatherer who can't have Higher education, a fighter who can't have the Machete, a group which can't use Delve to deep, ...

Like article says these are purely optional. Mainly they are for groups that felt these cards were problematic and wanted an official workaround.

It is very easy to go "I agree with the Higher Ed change, but not the Elusive change" and play that way.

It is your game play in a way that makes you happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cluny
msg tools
mb
I approve of every entry in the Taboo section as it stands now, and imagine my group will certainly be adopting the Taboo rules as default for us.

I am a little puzzled, however, by how the Limited Lvl-0 cards - Machete and Elusive - are intended to be affected. The FAQ states that the dots printed beside their titles are additions to the XP to purchase the cards. Is building a starting deck for the beginning of a campaign 'purchasing' cards?

I've never thought of it as such - 'purchasing' is something done with XP in-between scenarios. So is it that you can still include Machete and Elusive at the beginning of a campaign, as of right, and it is only if you make the decision to purchase a Level 0 card mid-campaign that the Limited effect applies?

In either case, is purchasing Machete or Elusive mid-campaign now 2XP, or 3XP? (they cost 1XP when you do not apply the Taboo rules, after all, because purchasing Lvl-0 cards still costs the 1XP min.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sylvester
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
mb
It's super weird to me that a starter weapon like Machete would require xp- by the time you can afford it, I'd generally be looking to upgrade away from it anyway . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cluny wrote:
I am a little puzzled, however, by how the Limited Lvl-0 cards - Machete and Elusive - are intended to be affected. The FAQ states that the dots printed beside their titles are additions to the XP to purchase the cards. Is building a starting deck for the beginning of a campaign 'purchasing' cards?

I've never thought of it as such - 'purchasing' is something done with XP in-between scenarios. So is it that you can still include Machete and Elusive at the beginning of a campaign, as of right, and it is only if you make the decision to purchase a Level 0 card mid-campaign that the Limited effect applies?

I know what you mean, but consider Arcane Research, which can be included in a new deck (and should be, rather than paying real XP later): "When you purchase Arcane Research, suffer 1 mental trauma."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.