Subject: Did you study multivariate calculus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
No

I'm not sure. I think I might have in high school since my program* was heavily into math, and looking at the wikipedia article it looks like something I studied. But I'm not completely sure, and if I did, I've forgotten everything about it. And I also dropped out of high school, so even if I did begin to study it I might never have completed the topic.

*Here, high school is organized into semi-specialized programs, half-way between general education and the highly specialized stuff you have in university.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Calculus in high school, but don't know if it was that specific kind, because it was 30 years ago and who can remember that. For college, I just took Statistics eventually for some science credits, because I was feeling really mathed out after taking so much in high school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I had calculus when I (foolishly) thought I wanted to be an engineer. Then calculus during economics. At least the previous exposure to calc made that easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
We have a bunch of people here in RSP with advanced and highly technical degrees. What I do bridges the gap between physics and math. There are some pure mathematicians here I think, at least a couple of other physicists, a psychologist or two (although one of them no longer shows up much), and so on. What's the big deal?

My gut feeling is that there's pretty wide overlap between people who have STEM degrees, people who play board games, and people who are comfortable discussing board games on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
My gut feeling is that there's pretty wide overlap between people who have STEM degrees, people who play board games, and people who are comfortable discussing board games on the internet.

My experience at games conventions is that:
(a) You meet people with all sorts of jobs, and none.
(b) However, "something in IT" is over-represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
whac3 wrote:
We have a bunch of people here in RSP with advanced and highly technical degrees. What I do bridges the gap between physics and math. There are some pure mathematicians here I think, at least a couple of other physicists, a psychologist or two (although one of them no longer shows up much), and so on. What's the big deal?

What about the overlap with people who like to participate in meta-discussions about the overlap between people who have STEM degrees and people who play board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most significant thing I have earned from this exercise is the number of people who say yes to possessing a credential when they don't really understand what the credential is.

The typical senior year of high school, AP Calculus, and 1st year college calculus classes are not multivariate calculus. Multivariate calculus is typically the third semester of college calculus, typically taken sophomore year (although of course some students who do well on the AP Calculus exam may take multivariate calculus their freshman year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Spaceghost is a lot more mathematically advanced than I am; I wish he was around more often, he's an insightful guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I’ve learned is that more people read RSP than I thought. 82 responses in about 6 hours: that’s pretty sizable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
(b) However, "something in IT" is over-represented.

If you learn arbitrary sets of rules for fun, IT is the path of least resistance to make a living.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
I also studied multi-word English, multi-thought Philosophy, multi-note Music, multi-degree Thermodynamics, multi-cell Biology and multi-multi other courses so I know everything about everything. Do not dispute me.

But did you study multiverse conjecturosophy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.