Hide
6 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Map Borders and Lore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
I'm making a document that has a description of the location, etymology, names the people, and important history that takes place in each location of the map. Would anyone be interested in this when it is complete? I'm using information from the LOTR books, Hobbit, and Silmarillion.

Considering that the remainder of the High Elves and many other Elves of Lindon live in Forlindon and Harlindon around the Bay of Lune and The Grey Havens, does anyone think that these should have been included in the Elven territory? It's just for lore sake, but the city-state approach the board used make the elves appear a lot weaker than they were, imo.

Would anyone else change the borders if they could? Such as including South Ered Luin in the Dwarven faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea! I'd enjoy seeing your doc.

You seem well-informed. Regarding including more elves, maybe the representation of troops in the game are just those elves who could be convinced to actually fight? Maybe there was a larger elven population, but many of them were certainly going to depart and not engage in the war effort? I don't know, I'm just trying to explain a well-balanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Bayes
msg tools
Lindon was very depopulated near the end of the third age though, I think the way the map portrays it is reasonably accurate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
That's a good explanation. Because one usually moves the dwarf regular from Ered Luin to the Grey Havens when it is attacked, I was thinking today about an elf regular from the Grey Havens being placed in Forlindon, to start. This, and the expanded borders, would improve the visual strength even if it doesn't add/subtract anything from the game.

I'll keep working on it. And yes, the game is extremely balanced and entertaining. Either of you ever want to play on JAVA, just PM me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Adlam
msg tools
mb
edmeister wrote:
That's a good explanation. Because one usually moves the dwarf regular from Ered Luin to the Grey Havens when it is attacked, I was thinking today about an elf regular from the Grey Havens being placed in Forlindon, to start. This, and the expanded borders, would improve the visual strength even if it doesn't add/subtract anything from the game.

I'll keep working on it. And yes, the game is extremely balanced and entertaining. Either of you ever want to play on JAVA, just PM me!

How often do you attack the grey havens?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
If I've conquered Gondor/Rohan and my advance in the DEW line has stalled, I attack it quite often using Return of the Witch King. It takes more patience, but against exhausted elf reserves and with a good combat card, one can nab all three VP's in Eriador to win the game!

Here is a link to the document in progress. I figured to let everyone access it as-is, and they can return to the document to get the updated version as I make progress on it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qsYKw97wuYSkYrBBUM6e8WOw...

Here is the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.