United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- A ring around Rome?

- Historical, i.e., a line along "the boundary"
with the Barbarians?

- As fast as you can, wherever you have cards for?

. . . or some other approach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
My strategy is to try to place them, cards permitting, in cities as close to the barbarian homelands as possible on the theory that you will have the most opportunity to sop up the hordes there, but I haven't done any statistical analysis to see if that's the optimal approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play this two player and our best game yet saw 5 forts at the barbarian entries. Philippopolis was the only one without one, and we kept recruiting to keep the hordes down. Now, this was possible largely because of good luck on initial cards and roles (the fabricum is super effective with this style of game).

In most of our games, even with less effective combos, we still try to place forts forward. Being able to dump a large group of legions in a spot and choke off a line is such a huge help, even if it's only a couple of cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
It depends.

If you are using combat oriented characters, building forts isn't as important. The non-combat characters need more forts to do well. The closer you build the forts to the cube sources the better you can control them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.