B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

How do You have to measure ranges in this game for Non-Ranged-Attack terrain, abilities, orders, tactics?

Examples:

(1) Inspiring terrain: "While within Short Range ...". Does a unit count within Short Range only, if the Inspiring terrain is in the Front Arc of this unit and if the Inspiring terrain is within Short Range measured at the Arrow of this unit?

(2) Rally Point ability of Mance Rayder: "Friendly units within Short Range ...". Does the friendly unit have to be in the Front Arc and within Short Range measured at the Arrow of Mance Rayder's unit to get the benefit of the ability?

(3) Combined Assault Order of Raid Leader: "Target 1 friendly, unactivated unit within Long Range." Does the friendly unit have to be in the Front Arc and within Long Range measured at the Arrow of the Raid Leader's unit to get the benefit of the ability?

(4) Regroup And Reform Tactics Card: "Remove up to 4 models (total) from other friendly Infantry units within Long Range." Do all the friendly units from which the models can be removed have to be in the Front Arc and within Long Range measured at the Arrow of the unit that benefits from the restoring?

I think, when You really have to measure ranges allways from the Arrow and only in the Front Arc (like when measuring ranges for Ranged Attacks) all these abilities, orders, etc. are rather weak and will not come into play that very often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
It's on page 7 of the rule book

Rule Book pg 7 wrote:

IN SHORT/LONG RANGE: When an effect targets a unit in Short
Range or Long Range, that unit is considered to be in range if any
part of its tray is within the listed range. Units are always considered
to be within range of their own effects and may target themselves,
unless specifically stated otherwise.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is no answer to the question. The rule of p.7 says only, that if any part of the target's tray is within the listed range, the whole unit is considered to be within range. But the rule of p.7 says nothing about from where to measure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhhm, elsewhere it says measurement is edge to edge. I am a tad on the baffled side as to what the question is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
That is no answer to the question. The rule of p.7 says only, that if any part of the target's tray is within the listed range, the whole unit is considered to be within range. But the rule of p.7 says nothing about from where to measure.


It's how you measure anything. Closest point to closest point.

Every one of your points is adding conditions that are not mentioned in measuring range and have nothing to do with measuring range.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay. I'll give You an example.

Please look on p.14 in the rulebook at the top photo in the right column (that one with the Lannister Crossbowmen, the Umber Berserkers, the Stark Sworn Swords and the Stark Bowmen).

Are the Umber Berserkes in Short Range of the Stark Sworn Swords?

For example, when the Umber Berserkers were Free Folk Raiders with Mance Rayder attached, would the Rally Point ability of Mance Rayder come into effect for the Stark Sworn Swords (assuming they were Free Folk too)?

The Sworn Swords are standing flank to flank at the Berserkers. They are not in the Front Arc of the Berserkers. They are NOT in the Line of Sight of the Berserkers. But are they in Short Range?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
Okay. I'll give You an example.

Please look on p.14 in the rulebook at the top photo in the right column (that one with the Lannister Crossbowmen, the Umber Berserkers, the Stark Sworn Swords and the Stark Bowmen).

Are the Umber Berserkes in Short Range of the Stark Sworn Swords?

For example, when the Umber Berserkers were Free Folk Raiders with Mance Rayder attached, would the Rally Point ability of Mance Rayder come into effect for the Stark Sworn Swords (assuming they were Free Folk too)?

The Sworn Swords are standing flank to flank at the Berserkers. They are not in the Front Arc of the Berserkers. They are NOT in the Line of Sight of the Berserkers. But are they in Short Range?


The simple answer yes.

Line of Sight and front arc have nothing to do with measuring range. They only apply to ranged attacks and charges.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First let me say, thank You for Your answers, guys. I don't disagree. I only want to know how to play it correct.

So, the measuring of range for other effects than Ranged Attacks, has to be made from closest point to closest point.

This is true for the Order "Hidden Traps" of the Free Folk Trappers too, then? The enemy unit has to be in Long Range measured from any point of the Trapper's tray to any point of the enemy's tray. The enemy has not to be within the Front Arc and within Long Range measured from the Arrow of the Trappers. Correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
First let me say, thank You for Your answers, guys. I don't disagree. I only want to know how to play it correct.

So, the measuring of range for other effects than Ranged Attacks, has to be made from closest point to closest point.

This is true for the Order "Hidden Traps" of the Free Folk Trappers too, then? The enemy unit has to be in Long Range measured from any point of the Trapper's tray to any point of the enemy's tray. The enemy has not to be within the Front Arc and within Long Range measured from the Arrow of the Trappers. Correct?


Correct.

There may be future abilities or order that do, but they would have to mention within Line of Sight and within a certain range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay. Thank You.

By the way, there are already orders with the range AND line of sight requirements. For example, the Night's Watch Ranger Tracker's Order "Mark Target" requires the enemy to be within line of sight and long range.

But I thought the difference to effects without the line of sight requirement were that no blocking terrain or other units have to be in the way.

However, I will make a notice in my rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:
Okay. Thank You.

By the way, there are already orders with the range AND line of sight requirements. For example, the Night's Watch Ranger Tracker's Order "Mark Target" requires the enemy to be within line of sight and long range.

But I thought the difference to effects without the line of sight requirement were that no blocking terrain or other units have to be in the way.

However, I will make a notice in my rulebook.


Thanks, I just bought the Night's Watch starter and have not played with them yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.