Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've often encountered a slight annoyance while managing my decree as the Eyrie. Inserting new cards into the decree sometimes pushes cards under one another or under the faction board. It can also be hard to keep track of what cards have been used when going through a section of decree. I wasn't sure if it was just me until the other day when I saw someone else voicing the same frustration. So I came up with the idea of using tokens to represent the decree:

When a card is added to the decree, it is placed in a stack off to the side and a corresponding token is added to the decree space. When a suit is used in a section of the decree, the token is slid off the top of the board making it clear that the action has been taken for that suit. I've found this to be much easier to manage than tucking cards. I also think it's clearer for others to see what's going on.

The tokens were made by printing the suit icons on sticker paper and adhering them to 15mm plastic discs.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case this may be useful to someone else. Here are links to the files I made for the tokens:
Inkscape SVG file
PDF

(I should point out I'm somewhat color blind, so if my colors are off, please let me know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An idea to help make Eyrie decree easier to manage
Very nice idea!

Curious, how many tokens of each suit did you make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea - tucking cards can often be annoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Knapp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know if you sleeve your cards, but it has definitely made it easier to slide them underneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlc2 wrote:
Very nice idea!

Curious, how many tokens of each suit did you make?

Thanks!
I made 5 of each of mouse, fox, and bunny, and 9 birds (9 simply because I ran out of blue tokens). It seemed to be enough last few times, but needs more testing to be sure. (I only play once every month or so , so I don't have a huge sample size to go from.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Topknot87 wrote:
I don't know if you sleeve your cards, but it has definitely made it easier to slide them underneath.

Oh cool. I'm not much of a sleever, but good to know! (maybe I'll come around one of these days)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to set those cards aside as they are not officially discarded until the eyrie resets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falafel007 wrote:
Remember to set those cards aside as they are not officially discarded until the eyrie resets.

Drewkas wrote:
<snip>
When a card is added to the decree, it is placed in a stack off to the side and a corresponding token is added to the decree space. <snip>

I think he was anticipating this question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love this, Love this, Love this!

Great Job and fantastic idea!

This is an instant addition to my game TODAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi x Tabletop2Go
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like your microbadges a lot!
Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which plastic discs did you use? These things are normally not that easy to find in Europe, but I do visit the US about once a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm using the tranluscent plastic discs available in the geekstore here on BGG. I happened to have some left over from another project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a flippin' genius. I wish somebody would make printed wooden tokens for this exact purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drewkas wrote:
Topknot87 wrote:

Oh cool. I'm not much of a sleever, but good to know! (maybe I'll come around one of these days)

I sleeved mine almost immediately because I'm a terrible shuffler, and I've never noticed a problem sliding cards into the decree, so I would say sleeves definitely work too. This solution helps even more though if board space is a serious concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a sticker sheet template you would be willing to upload to the files section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip R
msg tools
Jlc2 wrote:
falafel007 wrote:

Drewkas wrote:
<snip>
When a card is added to the decree, it is placed in a stack off to the side and a corresponding token is added to the decree space. <snip>

I think he was anticipating this question!
While the Eyrie can use this to try and strategically remove cards, I don't consider this is tactically very significant. I think the largest effect is the Tinker's selection.

On the other hand, I think immediately returning the cards offers a possible aid to fixing the problem of the deck running out in 5+ player games where the Lizards are involved. The one downside is if the Eyrie's tokens get jostled, there is no way to audit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry T
Sweden
flag msg tools
pipperoni wrote:
On the other hand, I think immediately returning the cards offers a possible aid to fixing the problem of the deck running out in 5+ player games where the Lizards are involved. The one downside is if the Eyrie's tokens get jostled, there is no way to audit.

Is that a problem? I've never had the deck run out without there being a discard pile to replace it. Just curious. It could probably happen in theory, but has it happened in practice?

I think the largest effect is on the outcast suit. Lizards would no longer be able to attempt to shift the outcast by causing a turmoil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Do you have a sticker sheet template you would be willing to upload to the files section?

I just updated my original post to include links to my files on Google Drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you cut the stickers? Were you using a hole punch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dirrane
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thanks, I really do love this idea and think it would keep things clean. I definitely think managing the cards can get annoying. However, there is a small part of me that is satisfied when I slide a card in to add to my decree.

I will try it out for sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

I used scissors. It was tedious, but doable while watching a show or listening to a podcast. I found the best way was to cut them out as squares first, then crop the corners to get octagons, and a second time to make 16-gons. I think at that point they were sufficiently round to fool the eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drewkas wrote:
dkearns wrote:

I used scissors. It was tedious, but doable while watching a show or listening to a podcast. I found the best way was to cut them out as squares first, then crop the corners to get octagons, and a second time to make 16-gons. I think at that point they were sufficiently round to fool the eye.

They look great honestly, good job.

I'm thinking about using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T7W9/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Does anyone have experience with one? Do they work on paper/stickers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a bunch of tokens for The Quacks of Quedlinburg using this punch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090JVDNA/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8...

(Note that's it .5 inch, which gives you some border on a 15mm disk.)

I liked the results; as long as the discs match the color of the stickers you are all set. Doing the number of discs you need for this idea would not take very long.

(As recommended in this thread.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Drewkas wrote:
dkearns wrote:

They look great honestly, good job.

I'm thinking about using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T7W9/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Does anyone have experience with one? Do they work on paper/stickers?

That looks like it could work out great. The images I posted are 13mm (0.512in) in diameter. You can use Inkscape (a free program) to shrink those images down just a tad. I would also add a black background so you don’t get a white border if there are inaccuracies in the punch out process. Super easy to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.