Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spouse has stated that playing Solo has sharpened the strategy and I did notice quite the improvement. I used to win 70% of the games but we now sit more on a 50/50 balance.

Has anyone else benefited from playing Solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly haven't. I find that facing Rugwort as opposed to a human opponent requires radically different strategies. If anything, if I play several solo games of Everdell in a row, I find that I have to consciously strive not to think solo when facing people across the table, or else I'm doomed! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play Solo very differently. When i played Solo 2 games back to back, I had a hard time adjusting back to Spouse's playing style.

Yet Spouse said it was the way to really understand the synergy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
I certainly haven't. I find that facing Rugwort as opposed to a human opponent requires radically different strategies. If anything, if I play several solo games of Everdell in a row, I find that I have to consciously strive not to think solo when facing people across the table, or else I'm doomed! laugh
Yes, I would also assume that, if anything, playing mostly solo would lessen a player's skill at multiplayer and vice-versa. (However, I imagine most gamers could transition between the two rather seamlessly.)

This is because Rugwort requires a considerably different approach to defeat.

- His random acquisition and (not random) blocking of cards in the meadow makes sequencing plays less consistent.

- On the other hand, sequencing worker placement is much simpler since he doesn't alter the board state in this regard.

- Cards like the Innkeeper and Crane tend to be snap picks vs. humans, but against Rugwort they can be a liability.

- However, cards that grant opponents resources are less of a liability since Rugwort can't benefit from them.

- Probably the biggest difference: You MUST acquire some number of Special Events to win*.

There are other differences to note, I'm sure, but these are the major ones I got off the top of my head.

*At least this has been my experience (vs. Year Two and Three). I don't think I've won a game where I didn't get at least 1 Special Event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Spouse is not better...just better at blocking me 😂

I know Rugwort destroyed me the first attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:

...At least this has been my experience (vs. Year Two and Three). I don't think I've won a game where I didn't get at least 1 Special Event.

Very much likewise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.