6 Posts

SpaceCorp» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you move away from a discovery tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Kukoly
Hungary
flag msg tools
The title says it all. When you use the explore action you claim a discovery tile and it will be yours while one of your teams is on it. How can you move away from it if a move is only allowed when there are a base present?

Rulebook states:
"An Explore action is the only way a team can claim a site, and the claim lasts only as long as the team remains."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A move is allowed FROM a base or TO a base...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kukoly
Hungary
flag msg tools
hemulen wrote:

A move is allowed FROM a base or TO a base...

Thanks! I think I missed the word "TO". Some questions/examples:

1. I can move away from a discovery tile if my move ends on a base. (if it's an opponent's base, he/she gets a reward)

2. What is the point of claim a discovery tile above the bonuses? I explore it, I got the bonuses on the bottom left corner of the tile but my opponent still can build on the site with the ongoing bonuses (I get 2 profit if I remember correctly when an opponent builds on a site and I have a claimed discovery tile there). I can't produce without a base so why would I move away? I need to build a base to be able to produce.

3. The move action is only allowed if you move FROM or TO a base. It can be an opponent's base as well but he/she get a reward if you use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppenheimer
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's pretty typical to build a base after you explore a tile, but there are some reasons you might decide not to:

You need the team at another location to do something more important.

You don't have the build points for a new base.

You've already got more production sites than you'll ever have enough Produce cards for so you just want to explore and get the immediate benefit.

It's late in the era and you're unlikely to get any benefit from the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kukolyadam wrote:
I can't produce without a base so why would I move away? I need to build a base to be able to produce.

There are a number of junk sites that you might encounter -- e.g., P0 site. It might not make sense to build a base and use up precious build cards for little return. Or, you may not even have the needed build cards. Nothing like exploring a site to find a +4 Build requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kukoly
Hungary
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for the clarifications. We played our second game last night and it was a blast. A bit long, but a blast! Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.