Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For video games, I'm a PC gamer, and anti-Sony since the rootkit days, so... yeah, haven't played this one but it looks interesting. However, I can't seem to find an answer to my question online - are there female playable characters in this (video)game?

It doesn't look like it from the Kickstarter minis, and if it's not even a stretch goal option, due to not being part of the original property, I don't think I'll back it.

If there's hope they'll be added later, though, I'd like to get in at the Early Bird level while I can. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavsite wrote:
For video games, I'm a PC gamer, and anti-Sony since the rootkit days, so... yeah, haven't played this one but it looks interesting. However, I can't seem to find an answer to my question online - are there female playable characters in this (video)game?

It doesn't look like it from the Kickstarter minis, and if it's not even a stretch goal option, due to not being part of the original property, I don't think I'll back it.

If there's hope they'll be added later, though, I'd like to get in at the Early Bird level while I can. Help?

It is totally up to the player, you can create any character with any sex you want, just like dark souls, whether that manifests itself into the board game, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks as though some of the characters are female already, and they all look pretty neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavsite wrote:

They will almost for sure add a ton more hunters, sex is only visual this is a board game not a video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frch0603 wrote:
It looks as though some of the characters are female already, and they all look pretty neutral.

Oh, maybe I need to revisit the Kickstarter page again, the "core four" Hunters looked totally male when I looked earlier today. Then again, I was on my work laptop at the time (shhhhh...) and couldn't watch any videos. Since they were only identified by weapon name, it was hard to tell gender.

Good to know that it's not ruled out by the IP though, because I KNOW how CMON Kickstarters go, they always add more playable characters! Since it's an option in the video game, I am sure I'll have lots of choices by the end.

Thanks for the speedy replies, off to back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Tremblay
msg tools
mb
wavsite wrote:
frch0603 wrote:

Oh, maybe I need to revisit the Kickstarter page again, the "core four" Hunters looked totally male when I looked earlier today. Then again, I was on my work laptop at the time (shhhhh...) and couldn't watch any videos. Since they were only identified by weapon name, it was hard to tell gender.

Good to know that it's not ruled out by the IP though, because I KNOW how CMON Kickstarters go, they always add more playable characters! Since it's an option in the video game, I am sure I'll have lots of choices by the end.

Two of the four starting Hunters are female- the one with the cane and the one with the greatsword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimortus wrote:
Two of the four starting Hunters are female- the one with the cane and the one with the greatsword.

Wow, I don't know how you can see that without zooming waaaaayyyyyy in... I need stronger reading glasses!

Actually, I really like that I can't tell the difference at first glance. That means that all fighters are dressed responsibly, for battle, regardless of gender, and not "chain mail bikini"-style.

It was just confusing to me at first because they aren't given NAMES either, and I didn't have the freedom (at work) to watch videos or do extensive Googling.

Glad to see the options are there, and also really liking the art style so far... haven't seen any videos yet, or close-ups of cards or boards, but I'm hoping it follows the style of the minis.

Just backed it, time to see what I backed... Kickstarter shopping is weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavsite wrote:
frch0603 wrote:

Have you played the video game - the female chars are not very feminine compared to a lot of other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neric wrote:
Have you played the video game - the female chars are not very feminine compared to a lot of other games.

No, I haven't, although I remember hearing about it and being interested when it released, but as a PS4 exclusive it wasn't an option for us.

I've now seen 3 of the videos on the Kickstarter page, and I am no longer confused. So much easier to see the characters in full-screen with full colored art, rather than a tiny plastic-colored mini in a big table of "box contents"! Ha.

I do appreciate you all jumping in to answer my question, and being polite about it, when I could have just waited until I got home to watch the videos myself. This is why I love BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the videogame you create your own male or female character, and as you now see, half the hunters in the retail box are female, maybe even more from stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavsite wrote:

Just backed it, time to see what I backed... Kickstarter shopping is weird...

You can always cancel your pledge before the ending as well, so good practice to back early bird if possible and can change your opinion later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bach Le
msg tools
frch0603 wrote:

This. Characters in soulborne games are all under heavy armor or garbs. Clothing are also mostly unisex. I can't even tell the sex of most NPC.

wavsite wrote:
Daimortus wrote:

Actually, I really like that I can't tell the difference at first glance. That means that all fighters are dressed responsibly, for battle, regardless of gender, and not "chain mail bikini"-style.

I don't think dressing in church garb or a ball dress (an actual outfit in the video game) is actually practical for battles either but the game lore explains this away as you need speed and cunning tactics to outsmart beasts. Against them, shield and heavy armor do nothing so wear whatever you like.

Mechanically, in the video games, your armor hardly matters most of the time anw. A lot of fans call it "Fashionborne" and just wear what looks cool.

That said, in the video game you can strip down to underwear. It's a good challenge. In Dark Souls, being (half) naked is recommended when playing against one miniboss as he can just one shot you anw. Might as well be fast.

Quote:
It was just confusing to me at first because they aren't given NAMES either, and I didn't have the freedom (at work) to watch videos or do extensive Googling.

Because you are supposed to give them names. Soulborne characters are pretty much blank slate. However, in this game I think they would have just one character per weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nel
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
The most recently added Hunter wields the Blades of Mercy. In the videogame, you come across an NPC named Eileen the Crow, who wields that weapon. She's a fan favorite, and CMON used her attire for the mini associated with the weapon.
So it can be easy enough to assume that particular Hunter is a lady, if not Eileen herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bach Le
msg tools
ZombieKnowledge wrote:
The most recently added Hunter wields the Blades of Mercy. In the videogame, you come across an NPC named Eileen the Crow, who wields that weapon. She's a fan favorite, and CMON used her attire for the mini associated with the weapon.
So it can be easy enough to assume that particular Hunter is a lady, if not Eileen herself.

Eileen is cool and I'd pick her for my first game but her weapon is just another blade which there are already enough. A wheel is something you don't get to see very often.

That said, clothings in soulborne are mostly unisex and I wish that's not Eileen herself because it would be cool if we can meet the NPC of the video game in quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.