tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Would Democrats support allowing felons to vote if felons didn't overwhelmingly vote for Democrats? Would Republicans oppose them voting if they voted for Republicans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:
Would Democrats support allowing felons to vote if felons didn't overwhelmingly vote for Democrats? Would Republicans oppose them voting if they voted for Republicans?

I’m personally ok with any and every felon who is a citizen being allowed to vote regardless of for whom. I think it’s a fundamental right as a citizen regardless of whether one is in prison or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doremus Jessup
msg tools
mb
jonb wrote:
the_bj wrote:

I’m personally ok with any and every felon who is a citizen being allowed to vote regardless of for whom. I think it’s a fundamental right as a citizen regardless of whether one is in prison or not.

The fact that one finds this and similar attitudes more prevalent in the Democratic Party rather than the GOP seems to indicate the reason for their voting preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doremus wrote:
jonb wrote:
the_bj wrote:

The fact that one finds this and similar attitudes more prevalent in the Democratic Party rather than the GOP seems to indicate the reason for their voting preference.

Don’t you just love conservatives who supposedly worship the Constitution in all its glory, and yet are often the first ones who try to strip others of their rights because they don’t approve of that particular group or class of people ? Lindsey Graham is one of those. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
the_bj wrote:

I have the same question except for gun control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:

Felons don’t overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Felons can’t vote.

WTF are you talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
the_bj wrote:

Data please. Or are you just pulling that out of your butt thin air?

But no matter the justification, Democrats are on the right side and Republicans are on the wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's valid--if cynical--to observe that politicians often take positions that are more informed by appealing to their base than by doing what's right.

It's also a great way to deflect when you see politicians you don't like doing the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doremus Jessup
msg tools
mb
jonb wrote:
Doremus wrote:
jonb wrote:
the_bj wrote:

Don’t you just love conservatives who supposedly worship the Constitution in all its glory, and yet are often the first ones who try to strip others of their rights because they don’t approve of that particular group or class of people ? Lindsey Graham is one of those. shake

It is always a case of what person the GOP is speaking in. In the first person "Our rights" the GOP still does worship the Constitution. In is only in the third person "Their rights" does their worship fade.

One only has to witness the GOP fighting tooth and nail to disenfranchise as many released felons as they can, in spite of the state overwhelmingly passing a constitutional amendment giving them back the right last year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:

Some felons are quite enthusiastic Republicans, like this guy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:

Your causality is backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:
Would Republicans oppose them voting if they voted for Republicans?

I can tell you with 100% certainty they would not. If 2016 til now convinced me of anything, it is that Republican politicians have not one ounce of honor or principle in their bodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:

I'm a Democrat and have helped people vote who did so very poorly in my opinion. I don't think voting from prison is a great idea, but the right should be restored after completing a sentence.

I don't think most criminals tend to vote at all, and have no reason to believe that the few who do would always vote the way I would prefer. Our government gets its legitimacy from the consent of the people. The more people that vote, the better, even if I don't get exactly what I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
dkearns wrote:
the_bj wrote:

Felons can’t vote.

I just assumed this was widely known. There have been a number of studies done throughout the years. Also, states have varying levels of felon voting with some states allowing you to vote while imprisoned and others not giving back the right to vote even after they've completed all of their obligations for incarceration/parole/whatever else.

https://mic.com/articles/78013/most-convicts-vote-democrat-s...

Quote:
If you’ve spent some time in jail, you are much more likely to vote Democrat, according to a new study published in the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The numbers are actually pretty stark. In the three states the study analyzed – New York, New Mexico, and North Carolina – convicts overwhelmingly identified with the Democratic Party. Almost 62% of convicts in New York are registered Democrats and only 9% are Republican; 52% in New Mexico are Democrat, with just over 10% as Republican; and 54.6% are Democrat in North Carolina, and 10.2% are Republican.

http://as.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu-as/faculty/documents/Democ...

Quote:
As for political parties, some argue that allowing ex-felons to vote would benefit Democrats. A 2002 study by Uggen and Manza found that "Democratic candidates would have received about 7 out of every 10 votes cast by the felons and ex-felons in 14 of the last 15 US Senate election years."

Taking it a step further, when they examined how these figures would have affected elections, they found that seven Senate races out of more than 400 might have been flipped from 1970 to 1998.

Look at the "Estimated Felon Vote for Democratic Presidential Candidate" from here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253315719_The_Truly...

They've got numbers from '72-'96 with the lowest number being 71.6% (McGovern) and the high being 92.8% (Clinton re-election.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, in that case, yes I’m only in favor of felons voting because they vote democratic.

Jesus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
the_bj wrote:

Some felons are quite enthusiastic Republicans, like this guy:

Or this guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:
dkearns wrote:
the_bj wrote:

Felons can’t vote.

I just assumed this was widely known. There have been a number of studies done throughout the years. Also, states have varying levels of felon voting with some states allowing you to vote while imprisoned and others not giving back the right to vote even after they've completed all of their obligations for incarceration/parole/whatever else.

https://mic.com/articles/78013/most-convicts-vote-democrat-s...

Quote:
If you’ve spent some time in jail, you are much more likely to vote Democrat, according to a new study published in the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

The numbers are actually pretty stark. In the three states the study analyzed – New York, New Mexico, and North Carolina – convicts overwhelmingly identified with the Democratic Party. Almost 62% of convicts in New York are registered Democrats and only 9% are Republican; 52% in New Mexico are Democrat, with just over 10% as Republican; and 54.6% are Democrat in North Carolina, and 10.2% are Republican.

http://as.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu-as/faculty/documents/Democ...

Quote:
As for political parties, some argue that allowing ex-felons to vote would benefit Democrats. A 2002 study by Uggen and Manza found that "Democratic candidates would have received about 7 out of every 10 votes cast by the felons and ex-felons in 14 of the last 15 US Senate election years."

Taking it a step further, when they examined how these figures would have affected elections, they found that seven Senate races out of more than 400 might have been flipped from 1970 to 1998.

Look at the "Estimated Felon Vote for Democratic Presidential Candidate" from here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253315719_The_Truly...

They've got numbers from '72-'96 with the lowest number being 71.6% (McGovern) and the high being 92.8% (Clinton re-election.)

Regardless, Democrats get more votes nationwide than Republicans with or without felons voting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/08/democrats-re...

Among the most eye-catching was a statistic showing Democrats led Republicans by more than 12 million votes in Senate races, and yet still suffered losses on the night and failed to win a majority of seats in the chamber.

According to the latest data, Democrats won the House popular vote by about seven percentage points in Tuesday night’s midterms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Sue_G wrote:
I'm fairly sure you're not an advocate of voting restrictions on felons, right?

Generally speaking, I'm not in favor of felons voting from prison (like they can in Vermont and Maine). I'd like to see their voting rights restored after they've served their time (as is done in 36 states today.) On the other hand, there are entirely too many crimes which are felonies.

Ideally, fix the second mess getting rid of much of the idiotic drug war and cleaning up the disaster that is much of our federal regulations. Then the answer to the first question becomes much less relevant. We incarcerate too many people for non-violent crimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mrspank wrote:
Regardless, Democrats get more votes nationwide than Republicans with or without felons voting.

Among the most eye-catching was a statistic showing Democrats led Republicans by more than 12 million votes in Senate races, and yet still suffered losses on the night and failed to win a majority of seats in the chamber.

According to the latest data, Democrats won the House popular vote by about seven percentage points in Tuesday night’s midterms.

You still lose Tigris & Euphrates if you score 47 points in black but can't be bothered to score anything in blue. Come on, we're all gamers here. People are smarter than to fall for that line of thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:

Ideally, fix the second mess getting rid of much of the idiotic drug war and cleaning up the disaster that is much of our federal regulations. Then the answer to the first question becomes much less relevant. We incarcerate too many people for non-violent crimes.

And America does in on purpose, and it's not just Republicans favoring it: Certain former presidential candidate talked about superpredators back in the day. Making everything a felony, and then applying the laws unevenly, is seen as a feature by plenty in the Republican party, which carry the old school American tradition of thinking that too many people vote incorrectly, so the right idea is to not let them vote.

A country where more people can vote, and everyone's vote has more or less the same value is a country where one might be able to win nationally as a conservative, but there's no way in hell one can win with white nationalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:
mrspank wrote:

You still lose Tigris & Euphrates if you score 47 points in black but can't be bothered to score anything in blue. Come on, we're all gamers here. People are smarter than to fall for that line of thinking.

Yes, I wish a hundred thousand people from "my side" would move from California to Wyoming in order to exert maximum possible influence over our country.

But it's stupid that the system has to be "gamed" for the people to be fairly represented in government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:
Yes, I wish a hundred thousand people from "my side" would move from California to Wyoming in order to exert maximum possible influence over our country.

But it's stupid that the system has to be "gamed" for the people to be fairly represented in government.

That depends on your definition of "fairly" I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bj wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I mean, currently a Wyoming citizen has about three times as much influence over the federal government than a citizen of California. By virtue of just...living in Wyoming.

Not sure how that's "fair" by any measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:
the_bj wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I mean, currently a Wyoming citizen has about three times as much influence over the federal government than a citizen of California. By virtue of just...living in Wyoming.

Not sure how that's "fair" by any measure.

Maybe even less than that now that California has decided to give their electors to the popular vote winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.