Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Anybody think this board I created has value in wargaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I created this board to try and improve exploration and hidden objectives. I believe it eliminates the need for cards, dice, or blocks for static weapons and fortifications. In summary, one pulls the pin up to lift tile and flip it and also to see if there's anything in the cup. Now, it isn't necessary to do both. For example, one could play with all tiles face up and just use the cups to hold the minis or vice versa. Just curious to see what wargamers think. I do plan on showing a video some other time. Thanks

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Beach
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I am really into The Gamers right now,
badge
I mean come on, RSS is better than LOB... right?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool idea for sure.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
kyletravels wrote:
Very cool idea for sure.

Thanks
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is clever, I hope you keep playtesting with it and see what feedback you get.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Phipps
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. A more usable version of the old "array of matchboxes" method from Donald Featherstone (and probably others too)

Cheers
Geoff
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, so cool this idea has been around since the 60s, perhaps earlier ;-)

The idea of using an array of opaque boxes to hide information corresponding to map locations is described in classic wargaming books from the 60s, e.g. by Donald Featherstone.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stylicho wrote:
I created this board to try and improve exploration and hidden objectives. I believe it eliminates the need for cards, dice, or blocks for static weapons and fortifications. In summary, one pulls the pin up to lift tile and flip it and also to see if there's anything in the cup. Now, it isn't necessary to do both. For example, one could play with all tiles face up and just use the cups to hold the minis or vice versa. Just curious to see what wargamers think. I do plan on showing a video some other time. Thanks



My eyes are too old to see that.
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
so it's a random event on entering a certain hex? Or is it laid down by the other player?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Vimy145 wrote:
stylicho wrote:
I created this board to try and improve exploration and hidden objectives. I believe it eliminates the need for cards, dice, or blocks for static weapons and fortifications. In summary, one pulls the pin up to lift tile and flip it and also to see if there's anything in the cup. Now, it isn't necessary to do both. For example, one could play with all tiles face up and just use the cups to hold the minis or vice versa. Just curious to see what wargamers think. I do plan on showing a video some other time. Thanks



My eyes are too old to see that.

Sorry. I'll try to increase size and clarity when I get the chance.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
so it's a random event on entering a certain hex? Or is it laid down by the other player?

It could be laid down by an "umpire" whose only responsibility is to set the board up.

Edit: or you can have a "defender" set the board since he'd technically know the lay of the land and he'd have mines etc set up
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
philip.dutre wrote:
Yep, so cool this idea has been around since the 60s, perhaps earlier ;-)

The idea of using an array of opaque boxes to hide information corresponding to map locations is described in classic wargaming books from the 60s, e.g. by Donald Featherstone.

Since I haven't read books written by Mr Featherstone I feel honoured coming up with similar ideas.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar

Great creation. Thanks for sharing.

Linked to Blindly into the Fog of War Guild.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for anything that reduces book keeping and keeping a list off to the side.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
tanik wrote:

Great creation. Thanks for sharing.

Linked to Blindly into the Fog of War Guild.


Thanks. I have no clue what that is but I'll look into it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Post better pictures, can't see any pins except one on a cup, not sure what concept you are trying to promote...keep in mind these are really tiny pics on the screen. Are the dots in the center of the hex supposed to be pins?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Rob Ryan wrote:
Post better pictures, can't see any pins except one on a cup, not sure what concept you are trying to promote...keep in mind these are really tiny pics on the screen. Are the dots in the center of the hex supposed to be pins?


If you click on the pics, you can see them larger.

OP, to present them bigger in your post write “medium” or “large” (remove the apostrophes when typing them) immediately after the image ID # in the tag.

Very cool - I love these types of custom jobs. But I think I would find prefilling the cups, pulling pieces out of the cups, to be to burdensome. I’d prefer something simpler like a sticky note on the bottom of the tile that tells me what enemy units are there, and then I get the counters from the component tray to put on the hex.

And it kind of bothers me that the hexes aren’t tight together but slightly misaligned.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
I'm all for anything that reduces book keeping and keeping a list off to the side.

When I created this I was just shooting from the hip. Wasn't entirely sure it was going to work (and still am not for that matter). I think it has promise though. Blind movement is still not really applicable unless you remove the entire cup out of the board but that seems too awkward.
If anybody lives near Knoxville TN and is interested I'd be happy to work with you in creating a game together using the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I know the art is bad but people usually say art isn't important until you have a game that's close to being complete
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Ryan Keane wrote:
Rob Ryan wrote:
Post better pictures, can't see any pins except one on a cup, not sure what concept you are trying to promote...keep in mind these are really tiny pics on the screen. Are the dots in the center of the hex supposed to be pins?


If you click on the pics, you can see them larger.

OP, to present them bigger in your post write “medium” or “large” (remove the apostrophes when typing them) immediately after the image ID # in the tag.

Very cool - I love these types of custom jobs. But I think I would find prefilling the cups, pulling pieces out of the cups, to be to burdensome. I’d prefer something simpler like a sticky note on the bottom of the tile that tells me what enemy units are there, and then I get the counters from the component tray to put on the hex.

And it kind of bothers me that the hexes aren’t tight together but slightly misaligned.

Thanks. It would have taken me a hundred years to figure out how to enlarge those pictures by myself lol.
I think the units would only reside in cups during deployment (perhaps for the defender). Perhaps the attacker keeps his units on top where they're not hidden? The cups are large enough to hold micro machine tanks. I'd imagine things like mines and booby traps would remain hidden until sprung or removed. Im just winging ideas to people who are a lot smarter than me
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david tamali
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Rob Ryan wrote:
Post better pictures, can't see any pins except one on a cup, not sure what concept you are trying to promote...keep in mind these are really tiny pics on the screen. Are the dots in the center of the hex supposed to be pins?

Yes, they're pins. They stick up out of the middle of the tile about half an inch. You grab the pin to lift the cup out. This in turn allows you to flip the tile and gather whatever is inside the cups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
got it, thanks, I see the larger images now, Originally they were like an inch by an inch on my screen. This might work for a smaller title but prob a tad expensive to implement for a multi-map wargame.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Ryan wrote:
got it, thanks, I see the larger images now, Originally they were like an inch by an inch on my screen.

The one you can see is just the same image with a 'large' tag; you can see the same thing from the small version in the original post once you learn the trick:

All it takes is to click on the original small image, which takes you to the image's page. Then click another time or two for higher resolution.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the main topic, here's an image from a published game that accomplished basically the same thing back in the 70s:



Had to be careful, though; you needed dry erase markers to avoid permanently marking the board or having the colors come off on the counters. On the plus side, you didn't have issues with keeping a bunch of little hex pieces positioned properly.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a good idea. The problems are cost, which would be very high [perforations are always expensive], limited application and that it'll be obviated by electronic display shortly, along with much conventional physical manufacture or printing.

Reminds me of this, which cost £5 in 1969, and was the first thing my mother bought with a credit card!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.