1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Cutting circles for PNP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm specifically printing out a copy of Maquis which has these nice circular pieces. I'm good with cutting lines with a rotary cutter and mat, but circles? Not so simple. I have two circle punches, but they're much smaller than what's in this set, and I'm not buying another.

Fiskars Circle Cutter does a poor job.

What do people do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate cutting ovals or circles. I use a silhouette cutter. 1. Import the pdf or png into the silhouette software. 2. Edit and mark where you want to cut. 3. Print it with the silhouette markers on the page. 4. Let it do the work for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
I hate cutting ovals or circles. I use a silhouette cutter. 1. Import the pdf or png into the silhouette software. 2. Edit and mark where you want to cut. 3. Print it with the silhouette markers on the page. 4. Let it do the work for you!

Wow, I never heard of a silhouette cutter. That's clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Konigsberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I'm not spending $200 for Maquis. :b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't dismiss circle punches so quickly. I think I have about 6 different sizes, plus 2 duplicate sizes, but for thicker material. Print on label paper, stick to chipboard, then circle punch. They are pretty much the only way I make tokens. You can always find a coupon for at least 40% off at Michaels, Joann, and Hobby Lobby. And probably even cheaper on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Arch punch. Cuts clean and can be used to make thicker tokens too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am cutting all circles manually with small curved scissors meant for cutting fingernails. All a matter of practice.

Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never found a circle punch for a price I'm prepared to pay.

I generally reformat the tokens into hexes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rkonigsberg wrote:
But I'm not spending $200 for Maquis. :b

Good, because for 10% less than twice that price you can grab yourself an entry level lasercutter. Will cut cork and foam rather than rip it, can etch, works on metal, no blade, never gets blunt. Makes nice smells when you cut wood and really nice smells when you cut plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hauser
United States
Marine on St. Croix
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Tecre rotary cutter for cutting circular button graphics, and it would work fine for thicker materials like cardboard. I've cut thousands of button graphics with mine, and it's still going strong. It's similar to the Fiskars circle cutter, but more heavy duty and easy to use. You can get one for about $70 on Etsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
really nice smells when you cut plastic.

I'm not sure that's good for you, bro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use one of these for circle tokens larger than small-coin-sized; it's great. Cuts through thick card and stays in place easily without leaving a compass hole in the middle of the circle.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/NT-Cutter-Y010110-Circle-Punch/dp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rkonigsberg wrote:
I'm specifically printing out a copy of Maquis which has these nice circular pieces. I'm good with cutting lines with a rotary cutter and mat, but circles? Not so simple. I have two circle punches, but they're much smaller than what's in this set, and I'm not buying another.

Fiskars Circle Cutter does a poor job.

What do people do?

What's the material you're cutting? Paper?

Generally I rough it, mount it to wood or foam, cut it on a band saw with a thin blade, then use 240 sandpaper on a belt sander (yes, even on the foam) to just touch the remaining rough corners. But -- I have a band saw and a belt sander. Both are relatively cheap used, or you may have one or both lying around.

Option two is cut with scissors and not worry about it being a little rough.

Option three is cut is square and stop caring that it was supposed to be round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Laser cutter.

It's the magic, universal hammer that turns everything into a nail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Thompson
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to my local printing shop to have the stuff printed on nice cardboard stock AND I ask to borrow their collection of circle cutters... which they happily let me use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Realigning the deflector array...
badge
7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
mbmbmb
I would just use pre-cut chipboard or wooden circles (you can get them online or from a craft store) and print on Avery (or another brand) circle labels--obviously of the appropriate size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Juhlke
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buried Treasure! is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:

I read another thread on here that showed a tutorial on how to use the arch punch properly when punching tokens.
Making Circular Tokens and Counters with an Arch Punch

I bought this arch punch: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00004T7WD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_...

I'll be getting it tomorrow so I can try to cut out a few tokens then (chipboard and cardstock) and update here how it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's either arch punch or Cricut (same idea as the above mentioned Silhouette). Better yet, like the laser cutter, you have more options. Irregularly shaped tokens are a possibility as well. A few of us have figured out how to use it to cut cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Can always do the Compass + Xacto trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:

I second this. Having put together Merchant of Venus and Advanced Civilization they were worth the investment. The tokens I made are better than ones I've gotten in regular production games.

Using the right tools helps you get better results. There are cheaper options...but you do get what you pay for.

Link below to where I got mine. I'm sort of surprised but the prices look the same even after several years.

https://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/tools/#archpun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Juhlke
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut out 700 tokens. It took about 30 minutes to punch them all out. The chipboard tokens looked better, but I had to align the two sides manually. The cardstock tokens are nice and better aligned. See below for images.

Chipboard

Cardstock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To all the people recommending arch punches: since the OP mentions Maquis in particular it's worth noting that some of the round elements in Maquis are 38mm wide (which is an inch and a half, I believe?). Arch punches get exponentially expensive the larger a punch you want, and cheaper manufacturers never seem to sell the larger sizes. They're great for smaller tokens, but they're not the be-all and end-all of circle cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
To all the people recommending arch punches: since the OP mentions Maquis in particular it's worth noting that some of the round elements in Maquis are 38mm wide (which is an inch and a half, I believe?). Arch punches get exponentially expensive the larger a punch you want, and cheaper manufacturers never seem to sell the larger sizes. They're great for smaller tokens, but they're not the be-all and end-all of circle cutting.

Exactly. I was searching the web and wanted to get a set, but after seeing the prices I decided to first decide what tokens I'm going to be making and then get the appropriate punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Juhlke
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikolajl wrote:
Bichatse wrote:

Exactly. I was searching the web and wanted to get a set, but after seeing the prices I decided to first decide what tokens I'm going to be making and then get the appropriate punch.

Good point. I only bought a 3/4" punch for $25CDN. I see that they sell a 1-1/2" one for $60CDN. It worked well for me, but could be a bit more expensive depending on the size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

It's PnP, so scale them down? I hear you on the cost of arch punches though. You don't want to have to buy a big set if you can avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.