Popular Tags: [View All]
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to find more people to play with. The game seems to have gone stagnant around here. We keep getting new players interested, but stores can't even order the starter set at this point to stock it if they wanted to (even the modern age set). Most places online have jacked their prices way up due to the lack of availability. Really annoying that we found a fun, fast little skirmish game and it is getting harder and harder to get.

Oddly enough, the tanks don't seem to be a problem to find or for the stores to order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Mikel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I still play but I live in Canada and I'm finding the same problem with no stores having any of the tanks left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing loads at the moment, and buying up the desert war tanks from ebay. I created a desert war campaign for myself (Italians and Germans) versus my two teenage boys (both playing the British). The campaign begins with Fort Capuzzo and may end (depending on results) with the second battle of El Alamein.

We are currently due to play the Operation Battleaxe scenario today after a rather successful (for the Brits) Operation Brevity, yesterday.

The campaign element is rather straight forward really. Each battle sees the Axis powers gain a certain number of points to buy tanks and the allies simply gain points depending on how well they do. This leads to a slight imbalance in the points but not by much. Today, for example, The Germans will get 50 points to set up their side (I have chosen a Panzer IVL, two M14s, an anti-tank gun and a trench... that leaves me 4 points to spend on crew/upgrades). My boys have 57 points between them (after the last game) and I know they have upgraded their Crusader and Honey to two Grants with plenty of crew/upgrades. They are loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took some pictures of the battlefield... I don't have time to create lovely terrain or paint up the tanks (would rather play it than bling it if truth be told).

The overall play area. The battlefield represents Tobruk on the top left, Bardia at top right and Fort Capuzzo at bottom right. The British (with two Grant tanks) begin the assault from Capuzzo.

The Italians look on as the British begin their assault on Bardia. The rather natty placemats represent the Mediterranean sea.

In this game I ruled that the German defenders around Tobruk could not take part in the battle unless a British tank crossed the midway point of the table to avoid unrealistic shots firing over half of Cyrenaica.

Turn 1 went badly for the Italians. One M14 knocked out but not before doing some serious damage to the green Grant.

On turn 2 the second M14 reverses behind cover in Bardia to keep the yellow Grant from attacking it.

A couple of turns later the Grant's suicidal charge into Bardia sort of pays off as both tanks manage to destroy each other in a point blank shoot out. The Yellow Grant has moved up to engage the trench defences at the entrance to Bardia.

After 2 more turns the British have captured the Bardia objective but have run out of time to assault Tobruk. Operation Battleaxe is a marginal victory for the Allies but in the next battle (Operation Crusader) they will be able to launch their offensive from Bardia and this should give them extra time to complete their mission.

Making up campaigns like this keeps the game alive for my boys and I. Still a fun game and next time they get to play with Valentine tanks too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a real shame they haven't put out a second edition of this game yet, to correct some of the poor aspects of the original rules. Sure, it's always going to be a simple, beer & pretzels dice fest - but a most enjoyable one I think .
We play a desert version of the game, with some fairly significant house rules, and it's brilliant fun. The major changes are using curved templates for movement instead of the bizarre "teleporting tanks" system, (see photo) and the introduction of a long range for shooting :

Short - 6 inches or less : minus 1 Defence dice
Medium - as normal
Long - over 18 inches : plus 1 Defence dice

There are several game balance issues that need to be addressed as well. A few questionable points values (Desert Sherman same points as Grant ) But the biggest issue is the Brits' Semi-indirect fire ability. This really is a bit too powerful in a straight pitched battle scenario, compared to Blitzkrieg for the Germans, and also encourages static defensive play We haven't really come up with an answer to this one to be honest, apart from the obvious solution of increasing the points of all the British tanks. Any ideas out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have introduced a couple of house rules for movement. Our favourite so far (that we always use now) is arrows can only be placed on the front or back of the tank so it moves directly forward or back only. One of the movement "points" can be to turn on the spot up to 180 degrees. This way you have to think carefully about turn order or else risk being blocked by other tanks. We also rule that the defence dice are awarded for the number of complete arrows each tank has moved from it's starting position. So you only get a 3 move token if you are a fast tank and move fully forward or back without turning.

I still love this game... especially playing with my kids. Good opportunity to teach them a little history too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.