Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played part of a game solo, and abandoned it mostly because I didn't enjoy that early phase, when you are weak, and are likely to fail to accomplish anything on your turn.

Has anyone considered a variant to skip over that slow/weak/random part of the game, to jump ahead to where you have enough extra powers to have decisions to make?

Off the top of my head, I might grant Thanos a starting stone, and give each player some number of allies. A nice side benefit would be shortening the game a bit.

Could something like that work? Would it decrease the fun in any way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/164230/infinity-stone...

This varíant gives the power of 3 stones to the players mindwhile Thanos works to collect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
This varíant gives the power of 3 stones to the players mindwhile Thanos works to collect them.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't thought to check the Files section, although I might not have thought to look at it even if I had, based on it's name.

At a glance, it sounds like a clever solution to the early-game power issue. Looking at the file, it seems like quite a bit more complicated solution than what I had suggested. And it probably doesn't have the side benefit of cutting the length. So I'm still interested in the prospects of my proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff
msg tools
peakhope wrote:
I played part of a game solo, and abandoned it mostly because I didn't enjoy that early phase, when you are weak, and are likely to fail to accomplish anything on your turn.

Has anyone considered a variant to skip over that slow/weak/random part of the game, to jump ahead to where you have enough extra powers to have decisions to make?

Off the top of my head, I might grant Thanos a starting stone, and give each player some number of allies. A nice side benefit would be shortening the game a bit.

Could something like that work? Would it decrease the fun in any way?

I would be interested in seeing how it works as well, as it sounds like just a small tweak.

The game to me is slightly too long. While I like the build up at the start to build momentum, it can often feel like downtime and might benefit from being shortened.

Three comments I have:
1) would you look at a more even distribution of the villians as well? Great to have more heroes, but you still need something to smash.

2) would you give players specific allies or random? I would think random as it is more consistent with the game, and you don't have to deal with balancing issues

3) maybe instead of giving players a bunch of allies at the start, give them random allies as the game progresses? 1 or 2 off the top of the deck every one or two rounds?

Btw, when you played solo, how many base heroes did you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lam
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We cheat a little and house ruled no more than 4 villains in the initial setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Biff21 wrote:
Three comments I have:
1) would you look at a more even distribution of the villians as well? Great to have more heroes, but you still need something to smash.

I have no idea.

Quote:
2) would you give players specific allies or random? I would think random as it is more consistent with the game, and you don't have to deal with balancing issues

I would probably start with random, since it's simplest. If that's not satisfying, maybe "Draw X and keep X-Y of them".

Quote:
3) maybe instead of giving players a bunch of allies at the start, give them random allies as the game progresses? 1 or 2 off the top of the deck every one or two rounds?

Sounds more complicated, and still leaves you weak for the first N turns.

Quote:
Btw, when you played solo, how many base heroes did you play?

2, I think. I was trying it to see if it would work as a couples game. Plus I generally try to control as few players as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.