Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
I had this way back, and then lost track. I didn't even know it still existed, but it seems to be alive and well. Can someone give a quick summary of the various editions, rules and product changes, and advice on how to "restart" as a VtES player? I'm not interested in getting into deck building, just curious to play occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing the game this past August. Seems that if you're coming in now, the best way to get started would be to buy into Third Edition and Lords of the Night. A couple starter deckes of the same type will get you a reasonably competitive deck, and Third Edition is a "base set" so it contains a lot of the basic cards for the various deck building strategies.

Lords of the Night is the newest expansion set based around the four independant clans (Assamites, Followers of Set, Giovanni, and Ravnos). It's starter decks are pretty good, and the set has some very popular cards. It is a "mid-sized expansion" and so you can get some decent variety from it as well.

The Third Edition revolves around the Sabbat clans and is bookended by two mini expansions for the Sabbat: The Black Hand (which uses group 3 vampires) and the Sword of Caine (which has mostly group 5). So you can mix in Third Ed.'s group 4 vamps with either. And the cards from those focus the black hand sub-group of the Sabbat.

Other recent sets include the Anarchs, Legacies of Blood, and Kindred Most Wanted. Anarchs is a rule which allows vampires to spend blood to become an anarch, which enables them to use the highly versatile multi-discipline cards from the anarch set. Legacies of Blood focuses on the four Laibon (African Vampire) clans, who have some potent disciplines of their own, although I don't own anything from that set, I'm just recalling what I've heard. Kindred Most Wanted introduced Red List vampires, which is a drawback inherant to otherwise powerful vampires with neat built in abilities or good discipline variety. Red List vampires can be targeted for combat by any player, and so need to be tough to survive.

As a new player who is not new to the OWoD theme, I've noticed that there isn't much in the way of Camarilla vampires at this time. There are also a few nice cards from old sets that have not been reprinted, yet are still heavily used in veteran player's decks, which can be stymieing to a johnny-come-lately collector. But if you're just in it to get in a few entertaining games. I suggest buying a pair of the same starter deck, using the better cards for good redundancy and then just put it on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Marsh
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
and in the middle
badge
Grrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does seem to stay under the radar a little, still good to see you have rediscovered it - hope you stay!

For details of the various sets have a read of More Information tag, halfway down the page - I have been keeping it up to date.

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Mass are you? If you're near Boston, there is a Monday night V:TES at Your Moves Games. Pandemonium sells the latest cards and you might be able to get someone to play with you/teach you the new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.