Subject: Fun little Item name challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason VanZant
United States
Biloxi
MS
flag msg tools
I'm in the process of naming some equipment for my game and would love to bask in the hive minds creativity. So a little background on the setting to get you in the zone.

Imagine a world where humanity exists oblivious to the truth. A world that for over 50 years humanity has engaged in clandestine trade with multiple alien species in exchange for slave labor and political influence. As a result, established multiple breakaway civilizations under the umbrella of deep state and corporate oversite. Beyond classified programs that even the president isn't briefed. These offshoot societies operate independently of Earth humans with a level of technology only imagined in sci-fi media. Basically, anything goes in my little space opera cyberpunk world.

I've listed the effects of a few items. This is how I best get the ol' noodle stirring. I've posted this challenge on a few other forums and the results never cease to amaze. I named a few for reference.

Add + 2 MOV to next movement- Quick Stride Servos
During your turn gain Invisibility- Ghost Skin Overlay
When ATKed, Retaliate 50% DMG, (Round Up)- EMP Discharge Pack
When Targeted you gain Initiative Bonus +10
Heal 3 HP
Add + 1 ATK to next attack
Gain + 1 Tics
End cool down on any card and return to hand
Ignore target DEF on next ATK
Next Melee ATK deal 1 Toxin
Next Melee ATK deal Immobilize
During your next movement, Add (Flight)
During your next melee ATK add AOE DMG
Increase or decrease your Initiative by 5
You are immune to movement impairing effects
Add Bleed to your next ATK
Add + 1 RNG (Range) to next ATK
You are immune to Bleed
You are immune to Stun
You are immune to Trauma
Pull target 2 hexs towards you
Draw a card and perform the Interaction Ability

This is only a fraction of the Equipment Card effects. I'm sure some of them will have very little meaning without further explanation so don't worry, name one or name them all. Benign or ridiculous it's all in good fun.

I'll add a few of the names I came up with to further stimulate your right cerebral hemisphere

Auto CPR Module
Auto Energy Shield
Synaptic Feedback Amp
Auto-Injector
Quick Stride Servos
Reactive Dampers
Medical Interface
Synthetic Muscle
Synthetic Neural Uplink
Core Interface
Plasma Cell
Plasma Dump
Prototype Converter
Spectral Nano Fiber
Adrenal Pump
Ghost Mail

I'm super excited to see what you guys come up with! Also based on my past experience here on BGG, I'm sure some of you are assuming I want you to work for free. Like I'm trying to goad you into making my game. I assure you that's not the case. I've already named all these items and over 160 more, naming them has never been a problem, balance and diversity have. (Though I will admit my creativity is limited and follows a specific thought process so a fresh perspective is indeed what I'm after here). So if you feel manipulated or otherwise offended please for the love of all things holy troll the next thread.

Sorry guys I guess I need to add more preface material to better equip you to name things.

The world is big on telepathic, telekinetic and psionics in general. The above "effects" are for items not necessarily Weapons or Armor. Though I welcome cool Armor and Weapon names. Most of it is implants, or at least that's what I was thinking when I designed the effects. Not so much consumables. But again I open to interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Top
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Dumptrux wrote:

Add + 2 MOV to next movement
During your turn gain Invisibility
When ATKed, Retaliate 50% DMG, (Round Up)
Heal 3 HP
Add + 1 ATK to next attack
Gain + 1 Tics
End cool down on any card and return to hand
Add + 1 RNG (Range) to next ATK
You are immune to Bleed
You are immune to Stun
You are immune to Trauma
Draw a card and perform the Interaction Ability

So you want us to name stuff from this list?

Are they single-use/temporary or permament? In the case of temporary stuff, I'd think more of injections, power surges, overcharging, et cetera. In the case of permanent stuff, I'd think implants, upgrades, gear.

Anyway, to name some ideas:

Dumptrux wrote:

Sounds like some kind of discharge.

Dumptrux wrote:

I've had some neuroscience courses, and the Basal Ganglia is sometimes called the decision making "floodgate" or threshold. So maybe a Basal Ganglia Implant. If that doesn't sound right you could make it a Prefrontal one. Or a surge of nanobots/something sci-fi sounding to one of those areas.

Dumptrux wrote:

Does this world have telekinetics and stuff or just science fiction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matej
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
...too low
badge
He'll chop and slice you, cut and dice you, eat you up whole...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd gladly work for free on this one.

Add + 2 MOV to next movement
Muscle-contracting electrode bandages

During your turn gain Invisibility
Photo-conductive suit

When ATKed, Retaliate 50% DMG, (Round Up)
Reactive plasma cell body armor

Overclocked sensory enhancement chip implant

Heal 3 HP
Cell-repair nanobot injection

Piercing laser projectile

Illicit neurotoxin tube

Supercharged taser knuckles

Single-use jump pack

Static discharge exosuit

Low-power quantum fluctuator

Vibro-bayonet

You are immune to Bleed
Stem-cell infusion

You are immune to Stun
Symbiotic grey-matter fungi

Pull target 2 hexes towards you
Anti-matter handgun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason VanZant
United States
Biloxi
MS
flag msg tools
raptor777777 wrote:
Dumptrux wrote:

I've had some neuroscience courses, and the Basal Ganglia is sometimes called the decision making "floodgate" or threshold. So maybe a Basal Ganglia Implant. If that doesn't sound right you could make it a Prefrontal one. Or a surge of nanobots/something sci-fi sounding to one of those areas.

[q="Dumptrux"]

Does this world have telekinetics and stuff or just science fiction?

Yes it does. Psionics is the primary magic alternative in this world. But there is an offshoot of Psionics called Astral Kinetics which is more of the traditional fantasy "Mage" type spells.

So to answer your questions. Very much Psionics, Implants, and Gear. Not so much Weapons and Armor or consumables. You can use fantasy terminology because there is a prominent species in the game that operates on under that genre.

Another overarching category is nanites and nanobots. Both summoned and operational influence. Meaning one of the main protagonist is a living nantite symbiote. She relies on her nanite companions to provide life support and a lot of others in this world rely on that technology to survive in the harsh conditions of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason VanZant
United States
Biloxi
MS
flag msg tools
TV0R wrote:

Illicit neurotoxin tube

Low-power quantum fluctuator

"Low Power Quantum Fluctuator" and "Illicit Neurotoxin Tube" Absolutely Epic! Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.