Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Pedro,

Pedro Dias
Portugal
flag msg tools

In Norway we have a a saying that goes something like this: "Christmas lasts all the way to Easter", so in that context your Christmas themed game is not too out-of-place ;-)

Some questions to be clear on the rules:

Quote:
If the player has no Decoration currently being prepared, he will start a new one.
A Decoration being prepared consists of a row of cards placed on the table near the player.

I think I know the answer to this one, but it deserves to be stated explicitly: Is it allowed for a player to prepare more than one decoration at the same time?

Quote:
To see if you are able to open a new box, follow these steps:

1 - Select a color and count the number of cards in your preparation row.

2A - If the total from step 1 equals your current maximum take it and place it beneath your X. Your maximum is now the next visible card (5, 6 or unlimited)

2B - If the total from step 1 does not equal your current maximum, but there is still a card with the same value in the neutral Decoration Boxes: Take one card from that stack and add it beneath your X.

Commit Ability: Select an extra color in Step 1. Sum up the 2 values and use it for Step 2.

I had some trouble wrapping my head around this one, but let's see if I understood it correctly:
So at the start my maximum decoration size is 4. In order to increase it I must claim my own number 4 card, and the way to do this is to complete a decoration with 4 of the same colour (i.e. only using one colour). This is likely to be really hard, but I can use the "commit ability" to add up to 4 if I use only two different colours.

So then my maximum increases to 5, and I have to complete a decoration with 5 of the same colour to increase further. Same thing. However, I now have the possibility of creating a decoration with 4 out of 5 cards in one colour, and this will allow me to claim another 4-card from one of the four neutral stacks.

Still seems really hard, but then this is only one of the possible ways to score points in the game.

Quote:
Whenever all rows have been completed (regardless of who completed them) the end of game is triggered.

So "completed" here means one player has placed in all tiles on the row and added a finishing touch. A row is not "completed" when all tiles have cubes on them if they belong to different players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Dias
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi Jørgen,
Thanks for the post.

--
Here are the answers to your questions:

Gwarv wrote:

I think I know the answer to this one, but it deserves to be stated explicitly: Is it allowed for a player to prepare more than one decoration at the same time?

No.

Gwarv wrote:

I had some trouble wrapping my head around this one, but let's see if I understood it correctly:
So at the start my maximum decoration size is 4. In order to increase it I must claim my own number 4 card, and the way to do this is to complete a decoration with 4 of the same colour (i.e. only using one colour). This is likely to be really hard, but I can use the "commit ability" to add up to 4 if I use only two different colours.

So then my maximum increases to 5, and I have to complete a decoration with 5 of the same colour to increase further. Same thing. However, I now have the possibility of creating a decoration with 4 out of 5 cards in one colour, and this will allow me to claim another 4-card from one of the four neutral stacks.

Still seems really hard, but then this is only one of the possible ways to score points in the game.

Exactly.
So let's say your current maximum is 4 and you have:
-) 4 red cards => You can complete
-) 3 red + 1 blue => You can complete if you use the commit ability
-) 2 red + 2 blue => You can complete if you use the commit ability
-) 2 red + 1 blue + 1 green => You can't complete

It is true that is not super easy to finish it (especially the level 6, as only the bottom row allows for this) but it gives you a fair amount of points.
Furthermore, since both players are trying to get their specific color normally you can get 2/3 of them easily, which means even if you don't get the others you can use your commit ability to extend it with 1/2 cards of another color. So it's very doable, the opponent's strategy can be to prevent you from getting the color you want (by drafting or discarding it) thereby forcing you to use your commit ability on this facet of the game.

Gwarv wrote:
So "completed" here means one player has placed in all tiles on the row and added a finishing touch.

Yes. A row is completed when it has a Finishing Touch on them.
(eg. the 5-tiles row is not completed if it has 3 blues and 2 red. Only if it has 5 blues or 5 reds)

--

I have updated the ruleset to reflect these comments (I already had an example for the 'Get more Decoration' part, but maybe I will have to extend it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Dias
Portugal
flag msg tools
(I realise I could have done a better job cleaning up the rules since I last submitted it blush If it is ok, I will do it soon.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
pedias wrote:
(I realise I could have done a better job cleaning up the rules since I last submitted it blush If it is ok, I will do it soon.)

Improving the rules on the wiki is always ok, whether it's a contest or not ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.