Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, it's been a while, but here’s an update on what is going on with Coin Tribes...

Golden Geek Award
Firstly, I’d like to say a huge thank-you to everyone who nominated and voted for Coin Tribes in the recent Golden Geek awards. I know the pnp category isn’t as hotly contested as some, but it’s still an incredible honour to be nominated, and coming runner up was amazing! Congrats again to Mark Tuck and Orchard!

Ranking
Also, thanks go to
mike williams
United States
Sumner
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for being the 30th person to rate COIN Tribes, thus giving it a ranking! There are now officially only 9,649 better games on BGG!

PSC Games
As many of you know, PSC approached me towards the end of 2018, asking about publishing a version of the game. I have been developing the game for them over the past few months with the intention to run a kickstarter after the UK’s Game Expo in May. Unfortunately, they have changed their plans and so it will no longer be published by PSC. The rights have reverted to me and I am currently considering options. There is other interest that may be pursued, but in the meantime it’s becoming a pnp game again!

Where the game currently stands
PSC wanted the game to move from being entirely card-based to use a board, and to use tokens for tracking. They also changed the graphic design to add coloured regions. While I won’t share their version of course, in the course of discussions I created my own interpretation of this direction. What do people prefer? I’d be interested in hearing opinions...

What’s changed?
The biggest change physically is going from all cards to board + tokens. This improves ease of use at the expense of portability. The events have been tweaked, expanded to 12, and are now a deck of mini cards. Rules have changed very little, with the exception of win conditions which now encourage more interaction between factions, and the reduction in number of forts per region from allowing all factions to have a fort in every region to allowing just two or even one for factions to contest.

Solo Rules
These have been a real %@&&£#. I’ve gone back and forth on many different implementations trying to keep it both simple to run and yet intelligent is really tricky. I’ve settled, for the moment, on a small flow chart for each faction. Hopefully this won’t scare people away, but also allow the if/then/else decision trees necessary for good moves. I need to move the cards from my handwritten scribbles to formatted cards, then I’ll upload them for people to test and improve, as they still have a long way to go..

Moving forward
In the short term, most important is to get the pnp files back up. I have put up basically the original files as submitted to the 9-card nano contest, although I used the v1.1 version that used a more readable font.

The v2.0 game will then be uploaded separately when I've formatted the files as I feel the differences are significant enough to warrant two versions.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest, more updates coming soon!

Cheers, Laurie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Parker
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
Sorry to hear about that - sounds like a tough situation.

If the board folded, I'd like that as it still retains the ultra-portability. For the visual design, I still slightly prefer the black-and-white board even if the background elements on the territories are a bit busy and distracting to me.

I think the color version is nice but I struggle with the muted, washed out color palette. I'd consider further saturating the territory colors to make them pop, lighten the symbol watermarks even more (and fit them to the territories - the legs sticking into Camulodunum is really distracting), and see if you can do something to make the text stand out more like a border.

I really like where this is going though and I'd be a happy owner of either version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Miquel
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very excited about this game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out with this publisher.

I think I prefer the original graphic design. Although I think the red in the round tracker and logo is a bit overpowering in this option. Curious to see the other changes in v2.0!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you did not get the chance to have your game published yet

My preference would go to the original design and color palette. As J de K, I felt that the logo was a bit overdoing it.

If that were possible, would the board be also provided as cards (like the original game) : that is smaller to put away in a tuckbox. But an actual board will probably appeal to much more people.

I am eagerly waiting to see how your solo engine will come out !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the coloured one.
Have you thought about running a KS by your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tallon Simmons
United States
ROCKFORD
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just printed v1.1 last night, and played a partial game (half, maybe?) and I must say, I think you've done fantastic work here! I'm really looking forward to seeing what v2.0 looks like.

If you need any help playtesting (especially the solo mode; the majority of my gaming is solo ha) I'm more than happy to lend a hand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United Kingdom
Neston
flag msg tools
mb
Are there any 'ready-made' PnP Copies available?

My crafting skills are terrible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the colored board better...just easier on my eyes.

I'm sorry it fell through. Perhaps the good folks behind the publishing of Black Sonata and Marquis would be interested in this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
raged_norm wrote:

Hi Steven, I'm going to be making a batch of v2 copies to take to UKGE, very happy to let you have one as well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think there's enough interest in both versions to release both. It's pnp, costs nothing to let people choose..

Doing some final polish on the v2 rules, but look out for the files in the next few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The colour is nice, but the coastline goes missing. If the clarity of the black and white is great, but the colour version lacks this. Even making the sea blue or something would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United Kingdom
Neston
flag msg tools
mb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
raged_norm wrote:

Hi Steven, I'm going to be making a batch of v2 copies to take to UKGE, very happy to let you have one as well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think there's enough interest in both versions to release both. It's pnp, costs nothing to let people choose..

Doing some final polish on the v2 rules, but look out for the files in the next few days.

Oooh lovely. I'm happy to hand over some cash for the effort.

I'm led to believe we work at the same place and we may have met in person a couple of times so send me a DM and we'll see if we can sort a handover. At the very least we're in the same Liverpool Boardgames Slack group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:

Waiting for them eagerly!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tallon Simmons
United States
ROCKFORD
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:

Any word on when v2 will be released? Really looking forward to seeing what you've come up with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilly340 wrote:
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:

Any word on when v2 will be released? Really looking forward to seeing what you've come up with

Just now! Go, go, go: v2.0 Released!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.