Conquest of the Skies» Forums » General

Subject: Several questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zdenal CZE
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all, I found this gem after making my own copy of Maquis.

This looks great but I have several questions:

1) Rulebook says that land hex is defined like hex with more than one land corners. In that case there are no land hexes on pages 6 & 7 and only two land hexes on first tile on page 8. Is this correct?

2) If two halve-hexes with one land corner each from neighbor tiles will come together, they will make one land hex with two land corners. Nevertheless land corners are not connected so there is something like river between them. So is this still land hex?

3) I'm a bit afraid that all buildings and both units looks quite similar. Any idea how to upgrade them to be simply identified at first look? Maybe it is not needed for buildings, but airship and warship are very similar I think. It is pity that sources are pdfs with bitmaps so it is not so easy to update them.

4) I plan to translate game to czech language and especially to create variants of overview card and upgrade cards with icons which will be more/faster readable than text. Don't you mind that? Do you have any ideas I could use? I already have some draft for icons, but any ideas are welcome. I think this could help this interesting game.

Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to make and play this game which looks very nice. I hope we will enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zdenal CZE
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I have one more question:

5) is it possible to use incomplete hexes? If not, it is probably impossible to attack buildings in the middle of large islands.

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in addressing these questions!

ZdenalCZE wrote:

1) Rulebook says that land hex is defined like hex with more than one land corners. In that case there are no land hexes on pages 6 & 7 and only two land hexes on first tile on page 8. Is this correct?

Yes, the land hexes are mostly found on the starter hexes.

ZdenalCZE wrote:

2) If two halve-hexes with one land corner each from neighbor tiles will come together, they will make one land hex with two land corners. Nevertheless land corners are not connected so there is something like river between them. So is this still land hex?

I suppose that this is true, but I don't think such a land feature appears on any of the games' hexes.

(In retrospect it would have been much more sensible to denote land hexes with an icon on the tiles rather than writing a rule for them. It seemed a simple rule at the time but it's probably the source of more questions than anything else in the game!)

ZdenalCZE wrote:

3) I'm a bit afraid that all buildings and both units looks quite similar. Any idea how to upgrade them to be simply identified at first look? Maybe it is not needed for buildings, but airship and warship are very similar I think. It is pity that sources are pdfs with bitmaps so it is not so easy to update them.

Perhaps use a felt pen or a coloured pencil to colour in the white bulk of one type of unit in the player colour? The buildings should hopefully be more easily distinguishable: outposts face right while settlements face left, and the two settlements are distinctly different sizes. The under-construction side has a hazard-striped border.

ZdenalCZE wrote:

4) I plan to translate game to czech language and especially to create variants of overview card and upgrade cards with icons which will be more/faster readable than text. Don't you mind that?

I don't mind in the least!

ZdenalCZE wrote:

5) is it possible to use incomplete hexes? If not, it is probably impossible to attack buildings in the middle of large islands.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'incomplete hexes'? If you mean to ask whether a sea-only warship can enter the sea part of a land hex, then no, they definitely can't. It's deliberately impossible to attack buildings in the middle of the large islands with a warship near the beginning of the game, because those are the players' starting locations and being instantly vulnerable would invite rush tactics to knock a player out, which isn't the kind of game I was going for. However, remember that you can research upgrades that allow these attacks to be made, such as missiles (to extend attack range by one space for units) or amphibious vehicles (to allow warships to enter land hexes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zdenal CZE
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Sorry for the delay in addressing these questions!

That's ok, but I'm sorry to bother you so much...

Bichatse wrote:

ZdenalCZE wrote:

I suppose that this is true, but I don't think such a land feature appears on any of the games' hexes.

(In retrospect it would have been much more sensible to denote land hexes with an icon on the tiles rather than writing a rule for them. It seemed a simple rule at the time but it's probably the source of more questions than anything else in the game!)

Ok, so simply land hexes are only the ones designed as land hexes, not combination of two half hexes on the edges, it makes sense.

Bichatse wrote:

ZdenalCZE wrote:

3) I'm a bit afraid that all buildings and both units looks quite similar. Any idea how to upgrade them to be simply identified at first look? Maybe it is not needed for buildings, but airship and warship are very similar I think. It is pity that sources are pdfs with bitmaps so it is not so easy to ubdate them.

Perhaps use a felt pen or a coloured pencil to colour in the white bulk of one type of unit in the player colour? The buildings should hopefully be more easily distinguishable: outposts face right while settlements face left, and the two settlements are distinctly different sizes. The under-construction side has a hazard-striped border.

You're right, buildings should not be problem, and units - I thinked about creating small line on the edge of wooden disc for easier detection of its heading, in that case I could use different color for airships and warships. I will see if it is good idea or not...

Bichatse wrote:

ZdenalCZE wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'incomplete hexes'? If you mean to ask whether a sea-only warship can enter the sea part of a land hex, then no, they definitely can't. It's deliberately impossible to attack buildings in the middle of the large islands with a warship near the beginning of the game, because those are the players' starting locations and being instantly vulnerable would invite rush tactics to knock a player out, which isn't the kind of game I was going for. However, remember that you can research upgrades that allow these attacks to be made, such as missiles (to extend attack range by one space for units) or amphibious vehicles (to allow warships to enter land hexes).

Oh no, sorry, I thinked about half hexes on edge of tiles, but it was dumb question, it is clean that it is prohibited to move on such "incomplete" hexes.

Thank you very much for your help.

As I said before, game looks very interesting and I am very surprised it is so long silence about that for so much years. Well, maybe only users smarter than me was trying to make their own copy, so they didn't need such questions .

Once again, thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.