Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Quinn Nix
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a game store, yesterday, and I noticed that the re-release of Risk 2210 is packaged in a box about 2/3 the size of the original release, which had the same size box as other AH/Hasbro games such as A&A: Europe, History of the World, and Cosmic Encounter. According to a sticker on this smaller box, all the components for Risk 2210 are inside. But how can this be? Did they make the game board smaller? Did they eliminate the cool storage bins that came with the bigger box? If so, will that make the original release of Risk 2210 a collector's item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundstrom
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Sodermanland
flag msg tools
Re:What's with the smaller box of the re-release?
Cynosure (#39291),

There are NO storage bins in the smaller package. The army pieces are "stored" separately in plastic bags which are rather useless once they're opened. To solve this, I use ziplock bags to sort all the pieces out.

The game board might be the big difference. It is 6 squares (2*3) which means you can put it together (or put it out) both vertically and horizontally, to minimize use of space. I haven't seen the larger box's board yet to compare them.

Perhaps this makes sense. My english writing skills are rather poor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Keijs (#39471),

did the bigger box have double sided energy tokens? because the smaller box doesnt... they, and the moon and scoreboard, are printed on aweful "breakfast serial box" cardboard in the smaller box... yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundstrom
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Sodermanland
flag msg tools
mateybob (#74220),

I was the one with the smaller box, so I can't tell wheather the bigger box had quality pieces or not.
And yes, the energy chips in the smaller box are awful since some players are keen to hold them tightly in their hands, making them all soggy and... it's disgusting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keijs (#74479),

Perhaps small poker chips is the solution to the low-quality energy tokens.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Ahmed
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I just ordered the game from AreYouGame.com and I think I got the big box. It came with the punch out storage bins and energy chips with both sides labeled.

So they might still be selling the big box. I don't guarantee it but if you want the big box its worth a try. Might want to e-mail them first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pablo Gomez Valencia
Colombia
Medellin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
LordTeleute (#81626),
devil
Hello...
I just need to knwo something...
is the bigger edition of risk 2210 better than the small box?
Do the energy tokens came printed in both sides,
as well as te turn markers...?
what is the difference between the moon of both versions?
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-PEDROPABLO- (#479612),

I have not seen a large box version of 2210, but from the rules I understand that a cardboard partitioning system is included.

I was concerned about the small box, but after purchasing one I would say that there is not problem with it.

The energy tokens are only printed on one side. Instead of laminating the tokens, I placed peel and stick disks of different colors to differentiate the ones and fives. If the game gets a lot of play and the tokens should wear badly, they can always be replaced with any number of bits that would serve the purpose. The turn markers, as well as the year markers, were laminated.

I believe the moons are the same. My moon is printed on flimsy cardboard ("cereal box") which inspired me to laminate it, as well as other components.

I've organized the components into appropriate sized zip-lock bags (31 of them!) and the box is full to the brim.

Earth Game Board
Moon Game Board
Score Chart
5 packs of command cards
3 packs of territory cards
20 army packs: 4 packs for each of the 5 armies
1 pack of energy tokens
1 pack for 6d and 8d dice
1 pack for devastation markers, turn marker, 1 year marker
Rule book

I believe my game is well-organized and protected. The compact box is an attractive space-saver.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt (#479617),
I have the big box. There are trays, and the board is one trifold board. The moon, and all other components, are printed on thick cardboard rather than the cereal board. I like the small box's size, but I prefer the components etc. of the big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donkeystyle (#479920),

The thicker cardboard is a plus, fer sure.

But space is the final frontier...

Shame on Avalon Hill for passing off the smaller box as being as good. If I had paid the $50. a lot of retailers are asking for the small box, I'd be chagrined.

But I paid a little over $20. at a Toyzerus 2-fer sale.

I'm happy, real happy.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pablo Gomez Valencia
Colombia
Medellin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Gamegrunt (#479940),

devil

ok... so you told me the moon is made with a thicker material and that the energy tokens are printed in both
sides but i also want to know if the
-turn mark
-and radioactive signals

are also printed in both sides!

thank you for your help!

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-PEDROPABLO- wrote:
Gamegrunt (#479940),
ok... so you told me the moon is made with a thicker material and that the energy tokens are printed in both
sides but i also want to know if the
-turn mark
-and radioactive signals

Yes, near as I can tell with a quick glance, all tokens are double-sided in the big box release. I checked into this thread just to see what the difference was - I have the big box version and finally got curious to learn how they got all of this stuff into a much smaller box.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-PEDROPABLO- wrote:
but i also want to know if the
-turn mark
-and radioactive signals

Just to confirm: Yes, they are printed on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.