Popular Tags: [View All]
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Edge of Extinction is a fine game for it's target audience, based on my single play I think the interesting decisions will come from building your deck not from the decisions during the game. I will say I had more fun that I was anticipating since I am not a fan of head to head CCGs. But that is not really what this games is (but it can be). In my game we played four player, which actually works because you are all working towards accumulating the most points not trying to knock someone out.
The enjoyment really comes from the games snowball effect where every round you are able to play more and more cards than the previous rounds. But that has a bad side as well. In my game all four players managed to get their entire deck into play and based on the starting decks we had to work with some decks had higher total point values. I know this is to be expected when you start building your own decks but as someone who doesn't do that in games the starting decks were not balanced in that way. If the game ended maybe two rounds sooner (you normally play 10 rounds) then we would not have all played out our entire deck so it would not have been an issue. Playing out your entire deck may be atypical so this could have been a fluke.
It seemed like 95% of the time if you can play a card you should play a card, so your turns are mainly checking your hand to see what you can play and just doing that. So there is not a lot of strategy there. However I can definitely see that there could be a fair amount of strategy in building your deck. I have never played Magic and the closest thing I play is Dice Masters so maybe that is normal for a CCG.
As far as components go I don't know if this is 100% final or not so I accept it but here are my thoughts. The text is tiny, like really tiny. I understand you want to show the artwork (photos) but it is hard to see. The cards have colored borders but they are almost not noticeable. They are not necessary for game play but it would be nice to make them thicker so you can see them easier. There is a not of scientific data on the cars, while informative mostly doesn't impact game play. There are only a few key data points you need to check to trigger other cards (size, type, genus, etc) but they put the full taxonomy. If they must include all that info them maybe bold the fields that affect gameplay (maybe they are leaving it there for future decks might leverage that info). And finally I think there was some non-gameplay related facts on some cards, I'd like to see that info at the bottom or some place different then where I am looking for the game related info.

In the end I did enjoy it (much more than I thought) and for someone who wants a game where you build you engine (deck) and then just see how it runs it would be worth looking at. For me, since I don't build decks, there is just not enough tactical decisions during the game. I never have to decide to play this card or that, or should I hold this one back for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.