Subject: Has anyone ever beaten the Automa? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt Gottlieb

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried two times to beat the Automa and couldn't do it even though I turned the difficulty down to easy mode to give myself another round. I've also seen two or three people on YouTube try to beat the Automa on normal mode but they couldn't either. Is it possible? There's a whole solo campaign and set of difficulty settings in the rules so I assume it is at least possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes... many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:
I've tried two times to beat the Automa and couldn't do it even though I turned the difficulty down to easy mode to give myself another round. I've also seen two or three people on YouTube try to beat the Automa on normal mode but they couldn't either. Is it possible? There's a whole solo campaign and set of difficulty settings in the rules so I assume it is at least possible.

Some tips:

-Sell a field to raise some early money
-Train a worker early, but you don't need 6
-Consider getting a yoke - it's cheap, and prevents Automa from blocking your ability to harvest
-Diversify your first field (to get both red and white going)
-Take an order card on the wake up track on your first or second year to target what you need to grow
-You may only need a medium cellar
-Strongly consider taking the structure offered by papa - cottage, irrigation, trellis, and medium cellar most especially
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:

We have the playtest data to prove that it's doable .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJS1971 wrote:
luiginumber1 wrote:

Some tips:

-Sell a field to raise some early money
-Train a worker early, but you don't need 6
-Consider getting a yoke - it's cheap, and prevents Automa from blocking your ability to harvest
-Diversify your first field (to get both red and white going)
-Take an order card on the wake up track on your first or second year to target what you need to grow
-You may only need a medium cellar
-Strongly consider taking the structure offered by papa - cottage, irrigation, trellis, and medium cellar most especially

If this advice doesn't help you beat the Automa, then it might simply be a misunderstood rule - I know I have my fair share of games that were too easy or hard, because I had missed a rule .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the solo game twice. The first one I won (barely, got lucky in the last turn), the second one I lost (but it was also close). Yes, got lucky the first time, but the fact that both were close things tell me that it's definitely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
We're Team Rocket, circling Earth all day and night!
badge
To denounce the goodness of truth and love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never won until I got the expanded Tuscany board....and then I won my first time playing with that one. I want to think there's a correlation. but I think its more I was lucky with card draws and I've played enough times to have the strategy, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:

Oh, and I forgot my shameless self-promotion.

I made my own solo Viticulture campaign when I was first learning how to be the Automa. My idea was to create some challenges that were easier than the standard rules and build them up to become more difficult than the standard rules. Unlike Morten's campaign, mine basically only varies what you start with, so you are pretty much playing the standard Automa game with a slight buff or a slight impediment.

Consider trying it out. As I playtested it I got better and better at solo. No matter how good you get, though, Automa is always challenging and tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:

Quite a few times... I think I may have to turn up the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat it regularly enough (once I got the hang of the game) that I only play the "aggressive automa" variant now, the regular automa is too easy!

It is easy to forget that this game is as much about the cards as it is about worker placement. If you are trying to make a plan and then find the cards to execute it, you are playing poorly. You need to create your plan based around the cards you get early in the game. It is as much about hand management as it is about worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.