5 Posts

Middara» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Spoiler] Question about a Boss-fight in Chapter 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fenris Fenrir

Friedrichshafen
msg tools
Yeah, it´s me again, you know the drill by now, if you aren´t far into Chapter 4, don´t look at this spoiler.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hey Brooklynn, me again.
Another Boss-fight another question
My group just finished the final encounter with Alana and Casithus, and something strange happened. Which got me to think if this was intended or a misprint.
Because Alana ended the fight by killing herself....

To clarify, her last ability states:
Is there an opponent within SOI and Alana is not Burrowed?
Cast a SPELL 6, prioritizing the opponent who is adjacent to the most FIGURES.
Here come my question, is this intended to be figures and not opponents?
Because in our scenario, only Zafir had a figure adjacent to him, and that figure was Alana herself. So she casted on him and rolled enough damage to kill herself (she had only 5Hp left at that moment)

And as a side note, if it is intended to be figures. Do Casithus and Alana count as 1 or 2 adjacent figures?

So Brooklynn, let me know if that was the intent, or if i just made an accidental suicidal boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn’t this fall under Golden Rule #3, pg. 58?

A figure will never willingly kill themselves, even if means taking no action, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenris Fenrir

Friedrichshafen
msg tools
Panzergeist wrote:
Wouldn’t this fall under Golden Rule #3, pg. 58?

A figure will never willingly kill themselves, even if means taking no action, etc.

Deafeating Themselves
Unless otherwise stated, a Combatant will never make an Action or use an Ability that would result in their guaranteed Defeat.

I wouldn´t see it as that the action was guaranteed to kill them.
The spell needed to work, and then enough damage needed to be rolled.
That is anything but guaranteed in my book.

Also, that end result wouldn´t change anything about the intend of my question. Because the question is still in the room, if the boss would have had more life left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooklynn Lundberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenris235 wrote:
Yeah, it´s me again, you know the drill by now, if you aren´t far into Chapter 4, don´t look at this spoiler.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hey Brooklynn, me again.
Another Boss-fight another question
My group just finished the final encounter with Alana and Casithus, and something strange happened. Which got me to think if this was intended or a misprint.
Because Alana ended the fight by killing herself....

To clarify, her last ability states:
Is there an opponent within SOI and Alana is not Burrowed?
Cast a SPELL 6, prioritizing the opponent who is adjacent to the most FIGURES.
Here come my question, is this intended to be figures and not opponents?
Because in our scenario, only Zafir had a figure adjacent to him, and that figure was Alana herself. So she casted on him and rolled enough damage to kill herself (she had only 5Hp left at that moment)

And as a side note, if it is intended to be figures. Do Casithus and Alana count as 1 or 2 adjacent figures?

So Brooklynn, let me know if that was the intent, or if i just made an accidental suicidal boss.

You read this correct. Whether or not that was the intent, RAW dictates this is how it would work. The Spell is an AOE that effects all figures. The character in question caught themselves in the explosion and took damage.

Also, she counts as a single figure.

And to be clear, this won't Guarantee their death, so it's still not violated the golden rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenris Fenrir

Friedrichshafen
msg tools
Thanks for the answer Brooklynn.

Would it violate the golden rule if minimum damage would have killed her?
Or does that still count as not guaranted, because the spell still has to work.
I assume it is the second one, but just want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.