Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the abilities on this Loot card is: "Discard to Heal 1 Hero for heart".

Can this be used immediately after one of my Heroes has fallen on a Trip Wire --- which caused 2 damage --- and my Hero has only 1 heart left before going Unconscious?

I don't see anything in the Rules which talks about whether this can be done, before my Hero goes Unconscious. The Rules only say that Loot can be passed between Heroes at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot is generally usable at 'any time' unless specified. By convention (rather than spelled out) you can't use it mid-action. Similar to how only specific talents can be used post-roll to mitigate effects. So you could use your waterskin after encountering the trap but before tolling dice (to bolster your health in case of failure):but once you throw the bknes you need to finish out the consewuences before using anything not marked with !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Loot is generally usable at 'any time' unless specified. By convention (rather than spelled out) you can't use it mid-action. Similar to how only specific talents can be used post-roll to mitigate effects. So you could use your waterskin after encountering the trap but before tolling dice (to bolster your health in case of failure):but once you throw the bknes you need to finish out the consewuences before using anything not marked with !

However, with the Booby Trap, "Trip Wire", there is no rolling of dice for its first effect. The Scout simply takes 2 Damage. So can the contents of the Wine Skin be consumed beforehand in this instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Loot is generally usable at 'any time' unless specified. By convention (rather than spelled out) you can't use it mid-action.

Don't you mean loot *cannot* be used at "any time" unless specified? And if it is specified as "any time" that you *can* use it mid-action? As stated by Brooklyn in this post:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31760159#31760159

Sorry, if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but to me your statement reads in direct opposition of Brooklyn's explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PoshFrosh wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Loot is generally usable at 'any time' unless specified. By convention (rather than spelled out) you can't use it mid-action.

Don't you mean loot *cannot* be used at "any time" unless specified? And if it is specified as "any time" that you *can* use it mid-action? As stated by Brooklyn in this post:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31760159#31760159

Sorry, if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but to me your statement reads in direct opposition of Brooklyn's explanation.

Well that's another game so I really don't worry about conventions in other games, only the game we're discussing. In the case of Legends Untold at any time means they don't specify what phase etc you can use loot in for the most part. It's whenever pertinent. For tripwire, which I forgot the specifics of, I'd say you are stuck with it. That's the breaks of being careless. You could use the bottle after finding out you are careless (die roll) but before flipping the card though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I'd probably say that since this was a booby trap, which was encountered because your scout was already careless, it is unlikely that the wine skin was at hand to be drunk between the time of the trip on the wire and the time of splatting down on the spikes.

However, I could also say that the reason the scout was being careless was because he/she was actually drinking from the full wine skin (instead of scouting) when the trip wire on the ground was not seen.

But, if the scout was drinking on the job, perhaps the scout still is unconscious, not because of the spikes, but because of drinking too much wine ???

It's a role-playing game. You can play the way that you choose. However, I'd try to be consistent from one edge-case situation to the next edge case. If the outcomes are always beneficial to the party, you may lose some of the flavor of the game for your party of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targanth wrote:

It's a role-playing game. You can play the way that you choose. However, I'd try to be consistent from one edge-case situation to the next edge case. If the outcomes are always beneficial to the party, you may lose some of the flavor of the game for your party of players.

Agreed. This is how I play. It is more fun that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Ducker
msg tools
mb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
Targanth wrote:

Agreed. This is how I play. It is more fun that way.

Playing the way that is the most fun is the most important rule. This is a cooperative game that can be played solo so finding the way that works for you or your group is fine.

In terms of game design, there are no interrupts or timing stack. When an action or effect occurs then you must resolve it before doing anything else unless a card states otherwise.

So if an effect says you take two damage, then you take it before you get a chance to heal. You could use a talent to reduce the damage if you had one, but healing and reducing damage are different things.

If a Hero is knocked unconscious then feeding them wine to bring them back to consciousness is absolutely valid, just not half way through hitting a trip wire.

- Hugh ducker, games designer, inspiring games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.