Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, quick question on how Long Range Assault works.

1. Assault as normal a unit X# of spaces away without having to move adjacent??

or

2. Move up to X# of spaces adjacent unit in order to Assault??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucky Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N.2 is correct, you move in a square that is # squares distant from target (typically 1, so you move adjacent), and perform the Assault. If you win, you remain in that square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Devil Pig Games Volunteer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky Luke’s answer is correct. Long Distance Assault allows to assault without moving into the defender’s square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Hello, quick question on how Long Range Assault works.

1. Assault as normal a unit X# of spaces away without having to move adjacent??

or

2. Move up to X# of spaces adjacent unit in order to Assault??

The rulebook covers this question, including any impact from Obstacles and what the unit has to do if it wins the assault.

Where the unit initiating the assault resides depends on the range of the ability. For example. the rulebook shows a value of "1" in the example ability icon, which would actually require the unit to be adjacent to launch the attack -- range 1 space).

The rules cover:
In HoBR Rules on p. 19, DPG wrote:
...without entering the target Unit's square, up to a maximum distance indicated on the Special Ability symbol.

and does not mention at all having to move the unit, the target just has to be within range.

Also due to the distant attack there is a note about the usual "replace the target" part of the assault result:
Quote:
"if the attacker wins, the defending unit retreats [as normal], but the attacker does not enter the square left unoccupied by the defender."

Hope that helps clarify the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO, as a 40k player i don't understand the thematic representation of this attack??
Why would the chaplain on foot have this ability?

Does the Defender get to attack him at that range? What if the defender had an ability that allowed a counter attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
SO, as a 40k player i don't understand the thematic representation of this attack??
Why would the chaplain on foot have this ability?

Which Chaplain? Chaplain Orad (Core Set) does not, and he is the only Chaplain I am aware of.

Orad has a limited range of 4 (bolt pistol?), an Assault +2 ability, and the Inspiration ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaplain Cassius(he is a promo though).
Ranged Assualt 3, i am leaning that he breaks the game with that ability and it should be 1. It creates a hole in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Chaplain Cassius(he is a promo though).
Ranged Assualt 3, i am leaning that he breaks the game with that ability and it should be 1. It creates a hole in the rules.

Why would Cassius create a hole in the rules? He doesn't have the Long Distance Assault special ability.

That icon on the top right of the unit counter (with the range 3 indication) means 'Inspiration'. The red arrow here means it removes Suppressed Markers.

Red arrows mostly indicate the effects of suppression. Upward pointing arrows remove suppression, downward pointing arrows mean add suppression. Rulebook page 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok this thread is officially over,...I blame old age...

I played him for the first time last week and thought that symbol was long range assault 3.... WTF...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens to all of us. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. Glad it is all sorted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.