The Day of Waterloo: 1815 AD» Forums » General

Subject: Brigades and Divisions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Reading through the rules and judging from the combat example and set-up, from what I can tell it appears that some pieces are divisional size while others are brigade? And the British 1st/Guards is a single divisional counter set up at Hougoumont? I'm curious about why and which units were combined or broken down in the game? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good observation: This is addressed in the Designer's Notes. Suffice it to say here the French are a homogeneous, nationalistic force reflecting a considerable degree of standardization and uniformity. The Prussians are similar but to a lesser extent... though the battle and retreat from Ligny blew a lot of the chaff off of their formations (and Bleucher preempted a potential catastrophe when he sent the Saxon contingent home en masse before the campaign opened). But the Anglo-Dutch-German army is a heterogeneous polyglot. The Brit player has to make the best of this as Wellington did, discovering why he structured his divisions the way he did; etc. The British guards are a homogeneous unit/division, its two brigades (Maitland and Byng) are both British, so that's how they are presented... Cooke's the only such division in the army. By contrast look at their 3rd Division, Alten's, consisting of Halket's 5th British Brigade, Ompteda's 2nd KGL Brigade, and Kielmansegges's 1st Hanoverian Brigade. Wellington put them together that way for a reason. The game allows you to explore why. At this game's scale how you create your stacks will be critical to success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Very interesting--thanks for explaining that. It makes great sense, historically, but my concern was what it meant for game play? The first thing, which I can't see from the examples, is whether these are two sided units? If so, then assuming the Brit guards are a six reduced to three, then how are they (the best infantry Wellington had on the field) superior to the other allied infantry 3's? And if not double sided (or, I guess, even if they are) if you tie up the single guards counter in Hougoumont, how would their other brigade still be present to counter the OG at the end--Now, Maitland! Now is your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fair cop. The area encompassed by a hex is considerable. The Middle Guard coming up that slope as they did historically has no choice but to brush against the "Hougoumont" hex. So the Brit guards will at least gall them (assuming the battle for Hougoumont is still going on and the division hasn't been re-positioned). These are not double sided units. Casualties are deducted by increment. Note all the numerical markers that comprise almost half the counter-sheet (but maybe they don't appear in the artwork sample that's posted? I assume someone will sort that out soon.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thanks for your great responses. I was on the fence but am satisfied and will certainly pick the game up and give it a go. I'm a sucker for Waterloo. Best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You can see the black and white Strength Point markers (actually the map and all the counters) for Waterloo on Consimworld at the link below:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd16c7a/4992

It's the lowest photo of the three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.