BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games to take on a cruise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
So my family and friends are going on a cruise and i love to take a bag of games with me and i'm looking for some suggestions on maybe a few i haven't seen before or you enjoy in groups.

For reference there are 10 of us going but the games don't have to be 10 player. and i'm including a list of games i usually bring with me on these types of things.

Games i bring:
Cards against Humanity
Coup + expansion
Love Letter
exploding kittens + expansions
red dragon inn + expansions
Gloom + expansions
Hail Hydra
Secret Hitler
One night ultimate werewolf or super villain
I have Munchkin but i tend not to bring it.

Thanks for any help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

High Tide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nichol
Ireland
flag msg tools

Burglar Brothers. Different and clever

Exit Room : The Abandoned Cabin (ideally 2 - max 3 people, doesn’t translate well with larger groups, I found.)

Fuse. A good giggle

Ghost Blitz. I’ve yet to introduce this game to new players where at least one of them ordered it on Amazon the next day they enjoyed it so much, highly recommended.

Hive. I’m sure you’re already familiar with this, just a reminder!

Jaipur. Plays fast, more strategy than first appearances, quite addictive as a result.

Patchwork. Goes really well with a glass of wine and mellow music.

Raptor. Clever girl.

Fox in the Forest. See Patchwork.

These will all pack nicely into 2 or 3 medium sized tuppawear boxes (components only - no boxes) which you can distribute among people’s cases.

Don’t be put off by the fact that they’re mostly just two player games, “everyone ‘round the table” games are great, but mixing it up with a few two player games that people can then swap is a great way to keep things fresh.

Enjoy the cruise.

Bring me back a tee-shirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboats

A ship sank and the survivors on the lifeboats secretly vote on who will be thrown off.

Very thematic for your cruise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

There's a safe home for raising such enquiries....
An open opportunity to impress us. Just ask.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Abandon Ship!
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Shipwrecked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leading a board game cruise in August, and planning games for participants. I'll read this thread with great interest!

The ship is giving us a conference room to use. If there are enough people in your party, you might ask if one is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Black
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
Tigger playing Agricola. He lost!
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant plays up to 8. Simply game of chicken but a lot of fun at higher player counts. Also Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Azul
Star Realms/Star Realms: Colony Wars/Star Realms: Frontiers/Hero Realms
Sagrada
Splendor
That's Pretty Clever
The Resistance: Avalon (unless you have enough social deduction already)
Codenames
Flamme Rouge (plays up to 12 with the Peloton expansion)
Century: Golem Edition
Time's Up! Title Recall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Williams
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many roll and write games scale well to higher player counts. Lots of themes and even weights are available, and your packing considerations are pencils, score sheets, and dice. With these, you might be able to do several games but reduce the components you need to take with you. That's Pretty Clever and Twice As Clever are popular. My favorite is Fleet: The Dice Game as it's a little chunkier than most games in this genre, though it only plays up to 4.

Team games that don't take a lot of luggage space might work well for you, such as any in the Codenames family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames would be my top choice. +1 for Lifeboat if the group will get into it. Check out Spyfall for sure. Two Rooms and a Boom could be fun with the entire group. Spot it! is also a fun little quick game, but get's intense.

Let us know what you pick or what goes over well... and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Farrell
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull King. It plays 3-6 and takes up very little table space so you'll be able to play it most anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
So far there are a lot of really great standout games i need to pick up. Some really great suggestions in here!

Cruise isn't until September unfortunately but i will certainly update with what i'm picking up and how well they worked on the trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your likes, I'd reccomend:
Captain Sonar
Joking Hazard
Telestrations
Pictomania
Werewords

One final note: are your family and friends into gaming like you are? If not they might be looking to read a book or tan on the deck instead of playing games inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
chewbacca390 wrote:
+1 for Lifeboat if the group will get into it.

ISWYDT.
I guess that they could vote for it, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Hill
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of experience with this, as my parents are avid cruisers and any family vacations that I take with them are more than likely going to be a cruise.

The biggest thing to consider of course is who you are playing with. But that isn't really any different than it would be on land!...unless a bunch of your family members get the free unlimited alcohol packages that are huge on cruises now.

The bigger thing to consider is that a cruise ship is essentially a floating city, and in that city there is a single library the size of a small restaurant, which usually has 6-10 roughly 3x3' tables. You can safely assume that on any sea days, and most nights, all but maybe one of the tables will be full. Your other options will be mostly smaller tables or the floor in either your rooms or the various public areas.

So don't pack any games with a massive table presence. Pretty much all of the games that you listed should be fine. I would add to it:

Sushi Go Party!
Codenames
Skull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.