Popular Tags: [View All]
Bin Man
msg tools
FFG Addict
badge
FFG Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
A blast from the past here!

I have had this many years (though I bought it on ebay) but just recently I finished the collection of figures. So, I thought it was time to play.

I have played all the other 1980s GW Classics except Warlock (though I only played Rogue Trooper once).

So how did it go?

I took a random character but was happy to see it was Prof Chusing...

As he played dodge the Mummy his friends and rivals looked on...

The game was a real game of cat and mouse, with the game doing everything for me leaving me to roll a twelve sided dice over and over again...

The only choice was on some cards which way to move

They seek him there

they seek him there

they seek him everywhere - hm back in the 1980s there weren't any female characters...

The Prof made it to the top

and then the Mummy ripped his heart out and put it in a jar

Well the game was amazingly poor as a solo experience aside from admiring my lovely minis and enjoying the 1980s art on the cards, I think Otto is my fav

- he sums up everything I remember being great about GW in the 1980s (before the dark times...). Even going to the shop was a trek - two buses and over two hours each way, but coming home with a treasure! Wow! And while COTMT was one I never bought in the day I looked at it week after week.

The figure tie-ins were also a massive factor, for this Fury or Dracula and even the old WFB scenarios, and these ones are among the best.

So even though the game was tragically boring it was a great moment, I intend to keep the game to play with my old group next time I see them (maybe in a year or so) as I think it could be a great stitch up game that just doesn't work solo.

So while it will never attain the same level as Judge Dredd, Fury of Dracula, Talisman 2nd Ed, Blockmania, Heroquest, Battlecars, or perhaps even Space Crusade or Blood Royal it does top Oi! Dat's My Leg! and so will get a bit more table time in the future.

Off to think about being old now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
A blast from the past, indeed! meeple

I still own all those old GW titles from the eighties. Recently I played Judge Dredd and we all had a blast! I guess I need to bring Mummy's Tomb to the table again too!

Thanks for the review and the memories! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bin Man
msg tools
FFG Addict
badge
FFG Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Judge Dredd is the last one we played as a group (with some painted minis of course) and it's great - we played it as filler after Arkham Horror LCG.

You simply can't beat arresting Judge Death for Boinging.... for us it is the Holy Grail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
GW have turned back to board games in a big way recently and have been putting out some really good ones. Personally I think this is great, but I'd love it if they went one step further and started bringing out boardgames that aren't set in the Warhammer worlds ... not that there's anything wrong with Warhammer, but it'd be nice if they went back to the variety that they had in the 80s.

Nice Review and I like your paint jobs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bin Man
msg tools
FFG Addict
badge
FFG Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:

Thanks, but I didn't (and couldn't) paint them.

Yeah I looked at Black Fortress but it desn't do it for me...

Have you played any of the new ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
thebinmann wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:

Thanks, but I didn't (and couldn't) paint them.

Yeah I looked at Black Fortress but it desn't do it for me...

Have you played any of the new ones?

Yeah, I've really liked all of the new Warhammer Quests. I'm not the biggest Blood Bowl fan in the world, but if you like that game the new edition is great. What they've done with Adeptus Titanicus has been really good too. There's loads of others I haven't had a chance to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bin Man
msg tools
FFG Addict
badge
FFG Addict
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.