Ethan Glasser-Camp
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Once upon a time in the early days of the web, I came across the rules to a board game. I think it was called "Coins", but I'm not sure. The essence of the game is that there aren't any real rules; the object of the game is to cause a bystander to say "Hey, that game you're playing looks interesting; how do you play?" (or similar). To set up, you essentially reach into your pocket and pull whatever change you have out and set it up in a line. Then, players go back and forth making "moves" while occasionally making sounds of surprise, explaining what they are doing in made-up terms ("Ah, yes, the Macedonian gambit"), etc.

I've tried periodically to find the source for this game (wherever it was originally written) but I've had no luck. Although not much can really be added to the description as the whole game is, in some sense, imaginary, I would sure like to be able to refer back to it and share it with friends.

Has anyone ever heard of this game before or know where it came from? I'm hoping someone has a better memory or more complete bookmarks file than I do. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a little like Mao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That sounds less like a game, and more like the kind of excessive effort some teens would put into being a**holes.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made me think of Fizzbin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glasserc wrote:
The essence of the game is that there aren't any real rules; the object of the game is to cause a bystander to say "Hey, that game you're playing looks interesting; how do you play?"

This idea was used in the 1971 film Play Misty For Me as the game of "Cry Bastion", in which Clint Eastwood's character and the bartender character would set up a "game" on the bar in order to draw women into conversation.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
It's a bit like Mornington Crescent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Trauberman
msg tools
I just lost the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.