Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pretty surprised by this, but I guess I shouldn't be. In 28 states there are statutes restricting a woman's right to be taken off of life support if she's pregnant, regardless of what she's indicated on her DNR. Two other states don't have a specific statute, but their DNR form says removal of life support isn't allowed in cases of pregnancy.

Of those 30 states, 18 ban the withdrawal of life support if there's a chance the fetus could survive if the woman is kept alive; but in the other 12 states the fetus's status doesn't matter -- the woman can't be taken off regardless! In three states -- Alaska, Georgia, and Oklahoma -- women must be tested for pregnancy before removal of life support.

In 19 of these states there is no mention of these restrictions on their DNR forms.

All this according to research done by the Mayo Clinic (et al.) and published in JAMA: In many states, pregnancy invalidates a woman's DNR

I would be against this in the base case, but having seen my first wife's DNR invoked makes me really pissed off at this. She needed a breathing tube for anesthesia for an emergency surgery related to her lung cancer. Her lungs by that point, though, were too weak for her to wean back off of the breathing machine afterwards. She spent the next seven days deteriorating and in ever-increasing distress and pain (and associated increasing levels of pain meds), until the doctor concluded there was no point in continuing. We probably could have come to that decision a couple of days earlier, and the toll on her of those extra days weighs heavily on me.

I can't imagine a woman potentially forced to endure months of that -- against her expressed wishes -- for a fetus that may or may not survive. It's horrific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incubators don't have rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doremus Jessup
msg tools
mb
Shadrach wrote:
Incubators don't have rights.

Neither do "hosts"

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jose-oliva-host-abortion_n_5c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all bullshit and it really pisses me off, even if I can't get pregnant anymore. angryangryangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.