Stephen Chen
Canada
flag msg tools

Dear BGG community,

Could you kindly recommend games that were once/are currently OOP and commanded a premium price during their OOP status? Please also kindly share their reasons for going OOP if you know of them.

- Collector's/Limited/Special editions not considered here.

- Games that couldn't be reprinted soon enough (or at all) to satisfy their short run demands are included under this topic. E.g., Wingspan, Gloomhaven, etc.

- Premium price does not mean outrageous money, but means that in the secondary market a BNIS copy would sell for more than the initial MSRP or FLGS price.

I am hoping to read up and think a bit about factors that caused games to go OOP despite the consumer's demand for them.

Thank you kindly, and I hope to share my cursory thoughts in the future.

Examples I have found include (please correct me if I am wrong):
1. Battleship Galactica
2. Dune
3. Clash of Cultures
4. Star Wars: The Queen’s Gambit
5. Fury of Dracula
6. Forbidden Stars
7. Glory to Rome
9. Age of Steam
10. Rococo
11. Chaos in the Old World
12. Gingkopolis
13. Russian Railroads
14. 7th Continent
15. Egizia
16. Carcassonne: The Castle
17. Fireball Island
18. Goa
19. Space Hulk
20. Wingspan
21. Gloomhaven
22. Bus
23. The Great Zimbabwe
24. Roads & Boats
25. Nippon
26. Madeira
27. Yedo
28. Yggdrasil
29. Key Market
30. Macao
31. Ora et Labora
32. Ra

Thank you kindly again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork - IP issues. Kickstarted (with extra features and without the IP) as Nanty Narking.

Up Front - legal issues, a failed kickstarter reprint, now available as print on demand.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Another one to consider: Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪♪
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames go out of print on a regular basis. The reason appears to be that it's a small enough niche that a second print run will often just sit in a warehouse and even apparent demand on the resale market might not mean a reprint can make money. (The supply is small enough that having higher demand than the supply doesn't mean the excess demand is higher than the minimum order for a publisher.)

Off the top of my head, some of the most extreme examples are Case Blue and A Bridge Too Far: ASL Historical Module 6.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest. The best game ever made.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove had a spike until a second printing came along.

Factory Funner was a small print run by Cwali, and commanded triple list price for some time. Come to think of it, the original Factory Fun was a highly sought collectable for several years until a reprint.

Great Western Trail kept rising in price until the second printing came through.

7th Continent is listing at least for crazy amounts of money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wingspan is not OOP not by a long shot.

That said there are a lot of reasons for games to go OOP.

Licensing,
Lack of demand/poor sales
Publisher fiat
Yearly Kickstarter (7th Contininent)/ will never go retail
upcoming printing/recent reprint (the Great Zimbabwe)

It's a wonky list, some will get reprints, some are slated have recent reprints.




2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
HeroQuest. The best game ever made.


Not sure if it's the best game ever, but certainly one of the best dungeon crawlers ever.

As for the OP, I know Starcraft is OOP and very expensive, but no idea why.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Chen
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you all! More games for me to research about!

ronhatch wrote:
Wargames go out of print on a regular basis. The reason appears to be that it's a small enough niche that a second print run will often just sit in a warehouse and even apparent demand on the resale market might not mean a reprint can make money. (The supply is small enough that having higher demand than the supply doesn't mean the excess demand is higher than the minimum order for a publisher.)

Off the top of my head, some of the most extreme examples are Case Blue and A Bridge Too Far: ASL Historical Module 6.


Thanks, Ron. Wargames classification is undiscovered territory for me. I shall dig into it more.

seanp wrote:
Walnut Grove had a spike until a second printing came along.

Factory Funner was a small print run by Cwali, and commanded triple list price for some time. Come to think of it, the original Factory Fun was a highly sought collectable for several years until a reprint.

Great Western Trail kept rising in price until the second printing came through.

7th Continent is listing at least for crazy amounts of money.


Thanks, Sean. This is exactly what I am interested in!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
Wingspan is not OOP not by a long shot.

That said there are a lot of reasons for games to go OOP.

Licensing,
Lack of demand/poor sales
Publisher fiat
Yearly Kickstarter (7th Contininent)/ will never go retail
upcoming printing/recent reprint (the Great Zimbabwe)

It's a wonky list, some will get reprints, some are slated have recent reprints.






Yeah this theory that something is OOP between known print runs because some people have no patience is dumbfounding to me.

Just wait for the next print run.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Splotter Spellen enough said.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape and all it's expansions, both terrain and units.

This is a great tabletop skirmish game produced by Hasbro with possibly the coolest plastic terrain ever conceived. It did reasonably well for many years, but ultimately was not the eternal cash cow Hasbro was looking for (see Magic: The Gathering).

It was wildly popular among those that were into it and commands really high prices nowadays, especially later expansions that had less production overall. For instance, a character expansion of large figures (Aquilla's Alliance), which sold for about $15 [at most it was $25], now goes for at least $250 and there are several other expansions from the game with enormous markups now.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The English language Witch's Brew was getting a premium due to I'd being a good family game SdJ nominee but not selling well enough for a second run.

It's dropped a bit due to age and spin off games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft and expansion. Not the greatest game. Not sure why sought after.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry at one point. It's died down with 150th edition

Some of the '44 expansions

Oh and how can I forget about the good versions of Container and Imperial
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Starcraft and expansion. Not the greatest game. Not sure why sought after.


One of the most well known and influential IP’s out there at the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
Starcraft and expansion. Not the greatest game. Not sure why sought after.


One of the most well known and influential IP’s out there at the time.


Yeah but not that great of a board game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Ideally good/great games would never go out of print and they'd always be available to purchase and enjoy.

Some type of future print-on-demand scheme with 3D printer technology involved may eventually help with that... but until then we have to "cope" with purchasing and playing the thousands of other game options that are readily available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
StarCraft: The Board Game was re-implemented by Forbidden Stars... which also went OOP when FFG lost the IP for Warhammer themed products when their relationship with Games Workshop became "unamicable"...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/board-game-breakup-wh...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization/Advanced Civilization was pretty sought after. I sold an extra set for $250.

Outpost was a grail game before the reprint. A friend wanted a copy and paid $200 when I found a copy for sale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fjords. I believe the designer died so a reprint was never done.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
copcopps wrote:
Splotter Spellen enough said.


I'm not sure what your point is besides typing two words.

All it takes to get a hold of a Splotter game at a "reasonable" price is patience. They never go OOp the just have very long gaps between runs (except Food Chain Magnate). Both BUS and Roads and Boats are getting reprints this year. The Great Zimbabwe was reprinted a couple of years ago.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cashmore
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Stuck on a plateau
badge
Can you name these games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
The English language Witch's Brew was getting a premium due to I'd being a good family game SdJ nominee but not selling well enough for a second run.

It's dropped a bit due to age and spin off games.


I immediately thought of Witch's Brew too. Maybe because I would really like to own it, but I have so far not been willing to pay the prices it sells at (in BGG auctions for example). If you're unfamiliar, it's a card game that was been spun off in a board game version (Broom Service), which then itself spawned a card game version (Broom Service: The Card Game) and while both of those employ the central mechanism I like from the original and I've purchased them, I don't think either is quite as good.

As Guantanamo says, I don't think it tends to be quite as expensive as it was a couple years ago, but it still brought $50 in the last auction I saw it in. I don't have many theories to help the OP figure out the reasons for these trends, but I am guilty of letting my willing-to-pay number drift up the longer I seek the game. Part of it might be that once a game gets on my grail list, it doesn't tend to come off it, and the perceived value goes up the longer I don't have it. Not a very logical way to make purchasing decisions, but I guess rationality is not a factor.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
copcopps wrote:
Splotter Spellen enough said.


I'm not sure what your point is besides typing two words.

All it takes to get a hold of a Splotter game at a "reasonable" price is patience. They never go OOp the just have very long gaps between runs (except Food Chain Magnate). Both BUS and Roads and Boats are getting reprints this year. The Great Zimbabwe was reprinted a couple of years ago.


And Antiquity reprinted even more recently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John Company, one of my favorites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.