Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: pc games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul montana
msg tools
I'll be spending about 4 months in campgrounds with no internet or wifi. I want something to play on my lap top in the evenings. I've played Age of Empires way too much. I need something else. I like fantasy or sci-fi worker placement, and combat is always nice. Suggestions please! I have windows 7
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nisster wrote:
I'll be spending about 4 months in campgrounds with no internet or wifi. I want something to play on my lap top in the evenings. I've played Age of Empires way too much. I need something else. I like fantasy or sci-fi worker placement, and combat is always nice. Suggestions please! I have windows 7
thanks

FTL and Into the Breach are both fantastic computer games that are highly replayable.

Darkest Dungeon is also great.

For computerized board games, there's currently a Humble Bundle with a bunch of games on Steam; I don't know how Steam will do with so much time offline, though.

Some other good to decent PC implementations:
Twilight Struggle (It's in the Humble Bundle)
Terraforming Mars (AI is weak, but solo play is still fun)
Scythe
Star Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for FTL!

Space Hulk was made available as a game on various platforms (got it on my i-pad as well as on the PC), but I'd recommend Space Hulk:Ascension instead; it's basically the same, but with more playable space marine chapters and campaigns for each of those.

Also, original Warhammer Quest and Talisman come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Into the Breach.

Also if you can install some games from Steam and they will remain running without wifi (and I think that might be the case? but test first?) you could try these:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/more-board-games-asmodee?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you want sci-fi worker-placement combat I don't understand how XCOM isn't at the top of your list.

Otherwise, it might be useful to know what you already own and like besides AoE. If you like Sci-Fi, you might look into getting one of the space themed civ builders like Stellaris, Endless Space, or GalCiv. (For that matter, the complete Civ V bundle goes on sale every now and then, although it doesn't really meet your other preferences.) If you prefer RTS over turn based, there is always the remaster of Homeworld.

Startopia is a really good city building game set on a space station. Lots of pop culture references and humor in the game. The only drawback is that it is a game from 2001 and, while it still runs on most systems, I occasionally hear of people having problems getting it to run. It does have RTS combat against the AI, but the sandbox mode allows you to turn off combat and/or set your own victory conditions.

Thea is an interesting game that is a bit difficult to describe. Its both a city builder and a turn based RPG at the same time. The game has its own mythology although its heavily rooted in Nordic with splashes of other cultures mixed in. IMHO, its kind of an updated version of King of Dragon Pass if you are familiar with that game. Combat is done through a turn based card playing system, so the fighting may not be as action based as most PC games. There is a free demo available on Steam so you can try before you buy.

If you want a straight up fantasy RPG, the remasters of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights tend to get good reviews. If you want the same thing but with turn based combat rather than real time, Divinity is rather good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Darkest Dungeon

Feels like a boardgame and it's an amazing ride.

Age of Wonders is a 4X game that I love and totally replaced RTS for me. The 3rd installment it's the latest one and it's a great game... 2nd installment with Shadow Magic expansion is also a great ride.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
+1 for Into the Breach.

Also if you can install some games from Steam and they will remain running without wifi (and I think that might be the case? but test first?) you could try these:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/more-board-games-asmodee?...

Yes you can start Steam in offline mode. It then depends on the game itself if it needs a permanent connection, but this is mostly only the case with "online" games. Then installed "offline" games can be started from Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from Spiderweb Software should work offline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a fantastic little tactical game called Hostile Waters: Anteus Rising that is dirt cheap on Steam these days and is one of my all time favorite under-rated little gems. Would have been huge back in the day but it was released right when games like Unreal Tournament was highlighting multiplayer type of gaming so this was buried in that landslide of popular games.

What makes it special is you are "commanding" a small fleet of helicopters, hovercraft, and tanks from air craft carrier. You tell each unit where to go and what to do on a map as the base mechanic. Each unit has it's own AI, you can jump into any one of them to take control and take part in the action yourself. In the meantime you're collecting resources to build more units, unlocking new types of ships to fight with, protecting your own bases, destroying enemies, and uncovering a plot that is a lot more bizarre than it appears (so check mark for sci-fi). Some levels will kick your butt and are SUPER satisfying to beat with your little rag-tag group.

The first couple levels are a bit boring, but necessary to teach you how to play effectively. Otherwise, for $5 or whatever it is these days, it's one of the best kept secrets I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out the Vassal game engine - many games available - all free

can be played pass&play with no internet required

http://www.vassalengine.org/

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.