5 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Barriers and cover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Hi there!

I have a few questions about barriers and cover.

- I can't really get a hang of the meaning of the wording in the rulebook:
"When a Barrier extends slightly beyond the cross point of
multiple spaces (as shown here), it prevents normal diagonal
movement that would cross this extended end of the Barrier
as well."

Also, do barriers affect enemy placement? What happens, if I follow the checkerboard pattern, and an enemy with no flight ability gets stuck behind the barrier, and my hero has no ranged attack?

- How does cover work? Maybe I've just missed it, I can't find it anywhere in the rules, so I couldn't figure out how to use my monk's Sacred bell

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- If the corner is clearly visible and not on the other side of a barrier, you can move diagonally, otherwise you can't.

- I don't recall seeing a formal rule. Unless the threat can move through barriers I'd treat them as blocked spaces though.

- Cover is explained on one of the reference cards (might be the same one that explains Ki?) It's essentially the same as a defence roll that kicks in before your usual defence roll (and isn't affected by anything that ignores defence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Thanks Alex Still don't fully understand the corner of the barrier thingy, but the rest makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielthorn wrote:
Thanks Alex Still don't fully understand the corner of the barrier thingy, but the rest makes sense.
If a Barrier line (the white line drawn on the map) even so much as touches the corner of any space, then Models can't move across that corner diagonally (unless they can legally move through barriers).

In regard to Enemy placement. If the Enemies in question can legally move across Barriers, then you can place them without regard to them. Otherwise, treat spaces fully enclosed by Barriers as blocked spaces for the purposes of Enemy placement.

Pro Tip: Broken Grates (from the Derelict Ship Otherworld) are fully enclosed by Barriers. Check the art on the tokens. This is often missed by our players.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Thank you Jee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls