13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Easy entry Strategy Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Kristen
msg tools
Hello,

I've been playing "Pandemic" for some time with friends who haven't played board games before. They love the Coop aspect and like strategy games. Do you have any recommendations for other games that have a low entry hurdle? Are the Tiny Epic games suitable? I am looking forward to your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An entry level co op game with a deck building mechanism would be Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle or Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Another entry level action point co op would be Flash Point: Fire Rescue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Realigning the deflector array...
badge
7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
mbmbmb
The "Forbidden" games (Island, Desert, Sky) are a great next step for co-ops too.

Links:
Forbidden Island | Forbidden Desert | Forbidden Sky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Thompson
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
mbmbmbmbmb
Fckthwrld wrote:
Hello,

I've been playing "Pandemic" for some time with friends who haven't played board games before. They love the Coop aspect and like strategy games. Do you have any recommendations for other games that have a low entry hurdle? Are the Tiny Epic games suitable? I am looking forward to your suggestions!

Ooh, I am in the exact same boat... new players and they love Pandemic Season 1.. where next?

I was thinking Near and Far because I have it on the shelf, and doing a little rotation of some games that I own.. Carcassonne etc before just doing Pandemic Season 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Imhotep
Azul
Quadropolis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island created by the guy who made Pandemic, and has similar elements
X-Wing if your looking for easy to get into wargames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fckthwrld wrote:
Are the Tiny Epic games suitable?
Tiny Epic Galaxies is actually surprisingly deep for how complex it looks, and a great game. Not sure it is the best bridge from coop though. Reason to still get the game is that it introduce some good mechanics that are NOT in Pandemic and which will help guide you towards another game if it does not play out well. Plus it is small, so it will not take up a lot of space in case it never gets played again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I take you at your word in seeking a good Strategy game, and one that helps introduce strategic thinking, I recommend Splendor. The mechanics are simple, pick up some chips, or buy a card. But within the game is a lot of depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1846: The Race for the Midwest is very intuitive and doesn't require prior gaming experience to get into. It does require time (4-5 hours play time), someone who can learn and teach it well and a strong interest in economic games. It is a great experience though, exploring this genre for the first time with a group of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Legends of Andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panupong Chotiveschakarn
Thailand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition
Stone Age
Lowlands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Coop:
Hanabi

not coop:
Splendor
Imhotep
Finca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.