Subject: Looking for a book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfredo Jara
Brazil
Jundiai
flag msg tools
Hello folks,

I'm new to posting in this forum, if this isn't the proper sub-forum, please inform which is.
I'm looking for a book about origin of classic board games, and I'm looking more specifically about Othello (well known, Goro Hasegawa in 1971 or 1973)/reversi (here is the part I'm looking for, maybe Mollet and Waterman in XIX century). There is a book from E.O. Harbin (Elvin Oscar Harbin), Game of many nations, that mentions that an earlier version might have existed in China centuries ago under the name of Fan Mian, but never found any trustful source for that besides the original site that posted that origin, and many others that fully copied and pasted the content (text is exactly the same).
I found a copy of Hoyle's Games Modernized from 1923 in Google books, but doesn't mention about the origin of the game.
Besides Harbin and Hoyle (now being updated by other people, as Hoyle was from XIX century too), are there other trusting source about games origin (and must mention reversi) that I can use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think It’s All A Game: The History Of Board Games From Monopoly To Settlers Of Catan might be your go to here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Jara
Brazil
Jundiai
flag msg tools
Will try. Thanks.
Edit: Nothing in there. But thanks for the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There's R.C. Bell's Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations.
(FWIW: about Othello/Reversi, it mentions Reversi was invented in 1888 with a footnote "Information supplied by Victor Medley".)

The classic combinatorial game theory book Winning Ways (Berlekamp, Conway, Guy) says "The Game of Othello was invented by Lewis Waterman in England in 1888".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Jara
Brazil
Jundiai
flag msg tools
Just great. Thanks a lot, Russ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.