Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » Variants

Subject: Disappointed guests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marisya stam
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me and my husband came up with the idea to dismiss the last free guest on the board at the end of each round. Thematically they waited too long for a table and went somewhere else... Qua gameplay this brings more strategic choices and keeps up the flow of guests.

We mostly play 2p games and know what to aim for. This resulted in situations where nobody wanted (or could) hire the first 3 guests and we got stuck for a few rounds. This really influenced the game and our scorings. We hope this variant may solve this.

Any thoughts? Please share your opinions (of playtesting)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Y.
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to try this next time I play. I think this mechanic is pretty common in games which have an "offer" of cards available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Herlius
Romania
Oradea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We already play with this variant, since it was suggested in another thread. You are right, in 2p games there are situations when the guest "market" can become stucked. The only difference is that we allow the removing of any guest, but the costs have to be payed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marisya stam
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didnt know it was suggested earlier, but thats great! This means the rule feels natural. I hope one of the designers will respond to this rule with thoughts.

About spending money to discard, I dont know about that. We have other games with this rule and most of the time both players want the same thing but just one gets the penalty. This way you can discard a card your opponent is waiting for too. How is it deicided who can discard a guest or whos first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Herlius
Romania
Oradea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess we play it a bit differently. You said that you discard a guest card at the end of each round. In our case we pick a guest card on each turn, like we usually do, even if we can't place it into our café. We can pick whichever guest we like and we have to pay for it, if it has a cost. The only difference is that we immediately discard it, but only if it can't be placed into the café. You usually discard one of the free ones, but there are some rare cases when you want to spend some money to block your opponent from grabbing a really powerful guest for him/her. But if you prefer to not mess up with your opponent, you can simply agree to always discard the rightmost guest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marisya stam
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
herlius wrote:
Well, I guess we play it a bit differently. You said that you discard a guest card at the end of each round. In our case we pick a guest card on each turn, like we usually do, even if we can't place it into our café. We can pick whichever guest we like and we have to pay for it, if it has a cost. The only difference is that we immediately discard it, but only if it can't be placed into the café. You usually discard one of the free ones, but there are some rare cases when you want to spend some money to block your opponent from grabbing a really powerful guest for him/her. But if you prefer to not mess up with your opponent, you can simply agree to always discard the rightmost guest.

Cool, we will try this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.