Subject: Camp / Town rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a future expansion could implement a village or camp where you can unlock and upgrade certain shops and services.
In the end some sort of „Darkest Dungeon“ or „Diablo“, yes, as the quick gameplay and resource-management offers plenty of options for such a theme.

A new mechanic could be special monster-loot (for example a card stack for each tier of monsters) which gives you resources you can only use in the village, to buy special items or abilities.

Furthermore I could imagine a timer, until you must defend against a big, final boss (in his Dungeon). You only have a certain number of Dungeon runs until you must enter that last, brutal dungeon.

An adjustable difficulty level gives you, for example, 1-3 lives, so a failure of a Dungeon doesn’t automatically ends the „campaign“.
But with more success you gain more loot and can prepare better for the last, ultimate dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Wilson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how a village/camp would work, when the context of the game is that you're an adventurer trying to escape a cave....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea: after choosing the difficulty level you have a certain number of runs, each one with another character.
Those dungeon-runs are the first part of the campaign, using the basic game and basic storyline (the town folk or some helping adventures who were trapped in the dungeon and must escape back to their village. They all got separated from each other and you play the story of each one.)

With the monster-resources you gained (by those characters who in fact escaped and reached the village) you enter the second part of the Campaign: now a character, stronger and better equipped with those new crafted items / abilities, enters one final, even more brutal dungeon (new, even nastier bosses and an epic, ancient final boss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, of course the village wouldn't make sense over the course of a single game since you're lost in the catacombs and trying to escape.

The idea seems like it should be played over the course of multiple games, at which point it sort of makes sense as a central hub, think Demon's Souls, in which you're sent back to the hub after you teleport or if you die (well not really but you get the point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Haven't played the game, don't know the details of how it'd fit in, but I really like the idea. Love having a place to upgrade and such.

Maybe after escaping from the caves, your character comes across this village, plagued by the monsters you just escaped, and you realise your the only person there who has the ability to take them on.

I don't know why there aren't more games like this! The mechanic of upgrading a home base is just so rewarding and enriching. I was kinda bummed when Tainted Grail said they would have it in the digital version of the game, but its not in the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
I don't know why there aren't more games like this! The mechanic of upgrading a home base is just so rewarding and enriching. I was kinda bummed when Tainted Grail said they would have it in the digital version of the game, but its not in the board game.

More games like what? Like games that have a campaign, or an upgrade hub, or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Both! I can think of KDM, and that's pretty much it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
Both! I can think of KDM, and that's pretty much it.

I see you've created a thread about it in the 1PG

The settlement in KD:M is definitely something unique and highly enjoyable. But it makes sense because of the campaign.
The downside is that the game isn't playable outside the campaign, which means that even though I have 70 plays, I haven't succesfully faced a level 1 Phoenix or a level 3 monster, and that my recent defeat at the (jaw-)hands of a level 2 Gorm probably means I won't either.
I've never seen the Watcher either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks so much for such an original suggestion.

Needless to say Darkest Dungeon was a big inspiration for Unbroken.

As Raz astutely points out - with the setup of the base game, the settlement portion doesn't really make sense (unless this particular super unlucky adventurer keeps visiting these catacombs and having all their friends killed. at which point I wonder how they manage to convince anyone to go with them at a certain point!).

BUT - it definitely makes sense within the setting, and some of the similar games (tone-wise) already use this kind of an approach (KDM was appropriately brought up).

Me and Golden Bell folks have discussed potential Unbroken-related games set in the same setting and these ideas (settlement building, multiple "rounds" vs. mega-bosses) definitely came up, so I'm certain these ideas will find their place in some way shape or form. Keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.