Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
230 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 

Baseball Highlights: 2045» Forums » General

Subject: Mudville Baseball Highlights 2045 League Season 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Good series between Doug as Boston and me as San Francisco. I won 4-1 but had Pedroia and pulled him once as a PH otherwise it could have been much closer. I did have 2 Magna Gloves.

Mike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
Good series between Doug as Boston and me as San Francisco. I won 4-1 but had Pedroia and pulled him once as a PH otherwise it could have been much closer. I did have 2 Magna Gloves.

Mike


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven beat me 4-2 behind strong pitching and timely hitting. The epic extra innings win in game 5 proved to be my undoing, as he accumulated income of 16, allowing the acquisition of Fence Crusher (HR-HR-HR). I let him pick first, hoping that an answer to the Crusher would pop up, but it was not to be. Well played series, Steven!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alpec73 wrote:
Far and away THE most epic extra innings game in Game 3 of this one that I've ever participated in or witnessed. Went through the whole deck and then one additional card from the reshuffled deck before Mark grabbed the series lead.

But it proved to be a pyrrhic victory as a combination of a Spitball and a Cloning ability proved to be his undoing in three straight games including a remarkable defensive performance to seal things in Game 6. An unlucky flip on a desperation pinch hitter brought up a Magna Glove, but no hits along with it and that was your ball game. Well played Mark, but it goes to me in 6.




That 16 inning game 3 was epic, but it did seal my fate in multiple ways. The free agents were almost all Naturals and Cyborgs with very little power hitting. I loaded up on Magna Gloves but had little hitting of my own (considering how much buying power we had), and you had the singles for each Natural played plus the Cyborgs to stop mine.

Fun series though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lowther
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this photo to go with the write-up that Alex is planning to do of the insane series that we just held. Now I need to go lie down for a bit and recover.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Goldsmith
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Attempted to play out a series with Dave and had a strange result I figured the league would be entertained by....

Up until Game 7 this had been an epic back-and-forth battle.

I had taken the first two games. Dave struck back and tied it up. I got Game 5 and Dave took Game 6. There had been two extra inning games that were split. A pair of Closers proved valuable for me, while Dave's ability to get off clutch hits proved too much in some games.

And then just after we had each set our On Deck players for Game 7..... Disaster. The app briefly said "Your opponent has disconnected" (I believe Dave's said the same thing). After reconnecting, the app remained stuck on "Waiting for Opponent to Choose On Deck Card" on my end.

Then we decided to try and do something crazy.... Since we could both see our six card hands and the one face-up On Deck player, we decided to play it out with top-decking for pinch-hitting or for visitor's saves off limits.

Here was my hand:



And so, via text, we played it out, which created a lovely play-by-play.

Here's how the game went.

First Inning
Alex - Model T (Robot) - Slow Single Double Double threatened
Dave - Babe Bench (Natural) - Cancels the second double... Threatens a slow single double.

Runners on second and third for Alex.

Second Inning
Alex - Bucky Tulo (Natural) - Cancels his double... Threatens a fast triple.

Runner on first for Dave

Dave - Boog Banks (Natural) - Cancels the triple.... Threatens an average double.

Third Inning
Alex - Starter Veteran (Natural) - Cancels the double.... Threatens an average single.
Dave - Freak Fydrych (Cyborg) - Picks off all runners, threatens an average single.

Now just a runner on first for Alex.

Fourth Inning
Alex - Randy Sandy (Cyborg) - Pickoff, remove all baserunners - Fast single, single threatened.
Dave - Pinch hits for Wiffle (Robot) - Three slow singles.

Alex scores one run, has fast runners on first and third.

Fifth Inning
Alex - Sparky Rivera (Cyborg) - If ahead, cancel all hits vs. any player. Slow single threat.
Dave - 5 Tool Model - Three fast singles.

Alex scores another run to make it 2-0, runners on first and third.

Sixth Inning
Alex - Lou Leather (Natural) - Magna Glove cancels two of the singles. Threatens a slow single.

Dave now has runners on first and second.

Dave - Craig Belt (Natural) - Clutch Double with a threatened double.

Alex's single gets him a third run, but Clutch gets Dave 2, putting him down 3-2 but in position to tie it with just the visitor's save left.

Visitor's Save

FM-BLS - Cancel 1 hit IF make a Robot Check


A Robot Check?!? A Robot Check?!? It had been going so smoothly up until this point. Per agreement with Dave, he allowed me to recruit a third party to roll a die and give me the result. Unbeknownst to the roller, a 5 or 6 would be a successful check and anything else would be a failed check.

The result was a three.... Meaning the check failed and Dave had tied the game up at 3, sending Game 7 to an impossible to resolve extra innings.

We did our best! But ultimately we're just going to have to replay the whole damn thing.

Frustrating....
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alpec73 wrote:
Attempted to play out a series with Dave and had a strange result I figured the league would be entertained by....

Up until Game 7 this had been an epic back-and-forth battle.

I had taken the first two games. Dave struck back and tied it up. I got Game 5 and Dave took Game 6. There had been two extra inning games that were split. A pair of Closers proved valuable for me, while Dave's ability to get off clutch hits proved too much in some games.

And then just after we had each set our On Deck players for Game 7..... Disaster. The app briefly said "Your opponent has disconnected" (I believe Dave's said the same thing). After reconnecting, the app remained stuck on "Waiting for Opponent to Choose On Deck Card" on my end.

Then we decided to try and do something crazy.... Since we could both see our six card hands and the one face-up On Deck player, we decided to play it out with top-decking for pinch-hitting or for visitor's saves off limits.

Here was my hand:



And so, via text, we played it out, which created a lovely play-by-play.

Here's how the game went.

First Inning
Alex - Model T (Robot) - Slow Single Double Double threatened
Dave - Babe Bench (Natural) - Cancels the second double... Threatens a slow single double.

Runners on second and third for Alex.

Second Inning
Alex - Bucky Tulo (Natural) - Cancels his double... Threatens a fast triple.

Runner on first for Dave

Dave - Boog Banks (Natural) - Cancels the triple.... Threatens an average double.

Third Inning
Alex - Starter Veteran (Natural) - Cancels the double.... Threatens an average single.
Dave - Freak Fydrych (Cyborg) - Picks off all runners, threatens an average single.

Now just a runner on first for Alex.

Fourth Inning
Alex - Randy Sandy (Cyborg) - Pickoff, remove all baserunners - Fast single, single threatened.
Dave - Pinch hits for Wiffle (Robot) - Three slow singles.

Alex scores one run, has fast runners on first and third.

Fifth Inning
Alex - Sparky Rivera (Cyborg) - If ahead, cancel all hits vs. any player. Slow single threat.
Dave - 5 Tool Model - Three fast singles.

Alex scores another run to make it 2-0, runners on first and third.

Sixth Inning
Alex - Lou Leather (Natural) - Magna Glove cancels two of the singles. Threatens a slow single.

Dave now has runners on first and second.

Dave - Craig Belt (Natural) - Clutch Double with a threatened double.

Alex's single gets him a third run, but Clutch gets Dave 2, putting him down 3-2 but in position to tie it with just the visitor's save left.

Visitor's Save

FM-BLS - Cancel 1 hit IF make a Robot Check


A Robot Check?!? A Robot Check?!? It had been going so smoothly up until this point. Per agreement with Dave, he allowed me to recruit a third party to roll a die and give me the result. Unbeknownst to the roller, a 5 or 6 would be a successful check and anything else would be a failed check.

The result was a three.... Meaning the check failed and Dave had tied the game up at 3, sending Game 7 to an impossible to resolve extra innings.

We did our best! But ultimately we're just going to have to replay the whole damn thing.

Frustrating....


A valiant effort!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alex,

Looks like you've been crashing a fair bit. I'll see if I can get something more robust happening for Football Highlights and port that back to baseball. This stuff sounds easy to do but it's quite nasty. In the meantime, maybe some tips.

1. Don't stream anything while you're playing - make sure noone else on the WiFi is trying to stream or download anything big.
2. If you're on a phone try to make sure the phone is not downloading any updates while you're playing.

I had a game with Mike 2 weeks ago and I started up a music stream when I was on the end game screen at the end of the series and got the disconnected message almost immediately after that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Goldsmith
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Hi Alex,

Looks like you've been crashing a fair bit. I'll see if I can get something more robust happening for Football Highlights and port that back to baseball. This stuff sounds easy to do but it's quite nasty. In the meantime, maybe some tips.

1. Don't stream anything while you're playing - make sure noone else on the WiFi is trying to stream or download anything big.
2. If you're on a phone try to make sure the phone is not downloading any updates while you're playing.

I had a game with Mike 2 weeks ago and I started up a music stream when I was on the end game screen at the end of the series and got the disconnected message almost immediately after that.


Peter,

Good tips indeed! The biggest problem is the resync.... It seems like one little blip and the whole thing is knocked offline.

1) I have not been streaming anything during any of the games, but the two primary places I'd be using WiFi, work or home, I can't always control what others are doing on the internet.

2) It's possible this is happening, although I'm not sure how easy it is to shut things off.

Thanks for the hard work in any case!

Alex
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alpec73 wrote:
Attempted to play out a series with Dave and had a strange result I figured the league would be entertained by....

Up until Game 7 this had been an epic back-and-forth battle.

I had taken the first two games. Dave struck back and tied it up. I got Game 5 and Dave took Game 6. There had been two extra inning games that were split. A pair of Closers proved valuable for me, while Dave's ability to get off clutch hits proved too much in some games.

And then just after we had each set our On Deck players for Game 7..... Disaster. The app briefly said "Your opponent has disconnected" (I believe Dave's said the same thing). After reconnecting, the app remained stuck on "Waiting for Opponent to Choose On Deck Card" on my end.

Then we decided to try and do something crazy.... Since we could both see our six card hands and the one face-up On Deck player, we decided to play it out with top-decking for pinch-hitting or for visitor's saves off limits.

Here was my hand:



And so, via text, we played it out, which created a lovely play-by-play.

Here's how the game went.

First Inning
Alex - Model T (Robot) - Slow Single Double Double threatened
Dave - Babe Bench (Natural) - Cancels the second double... Threatens a slow single double.

Runners on second and third for Alex.

Second Inning
Alex - Bucky Tulo (Natural) - Cancels his double... Threatens a fast triple.

Runner on first for Dave

Dave - Boog Banks (Natural) - Cancels the triple.... Threatens an average double.

Third Inning
Alex - Starter Veteran (Natural) - Cancels the double.... Threatens an average single.
Dave - Freak Fydrych (Cyborg) - Picks off all runners, threatens an average single.

Now just a runner on first for Alex.

Fourth Inning
Alex - Randy Sandy (Cyborg) - Pickoff, remove all baserunners - Fast single, single threatened.
Dave - Pinch hits for Wiffle (Robot) - Three slow singles.

Alex scores one run, has fast runners on first and third.

Fifth Inning
Alex - Sparky Rivera (Cyborg) - If ahead, cancel all hits vs. any player. Slow single threat.
Dave - 5 Tool Model - Three fast singles.

Alex scores another run to make it 2-0, runners on first and third.

Sixth Inning
Alex - Lou Leather (Natural) - Magna Glove cancels two of the singles. Threatens a slow single.

Dave now has runners on first and second.

Dave - Craig Belt (Natural) - Clutch Double with a threatened double.

Alex's single gets him a third run, but Clutch gets Dave 2, putting him down 3-2 but in position to tie it with just the visitor's save left.

Visitor's Save

FM-BLS - Cancel 1 hit IF make a Robot Check


A Robot Check?!? A Robot Check?!? It had been going so smoothly up until this point. Per agreement with Dave, he allowed me to recruit a third party to roll a die and give me the result. Unbeknownst to the roller, a 5 or 6 would be a successful check and anything else would be a failed check.

The result was a three.... Meaning the check failed and Dave had tied the game up at 3, sending Game 7 to an impossible to resolve extra innings.

We did our best! But ultimately we're just going to have to replay the whole damn thing.

Frustrating....


Apparently this is the first case of two people sharing a Baseball Highlights 2045 anxiety nightmare!!!

You both need to get outside for a bit and do some deep breathing exercises so you will sleep better!

Good luck on your next game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong defence on both sides meant that it would come down to who could push through more hits. Lots of big hitters meant that Ralph couldn't stop them all. The last game came down to the 11th inning. With 2 more extra inning games it feels like I've already eclipsed how many I had last season.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark made great use of those pesky Error robots that have tons of hits.

I couldn't get any synergy going. For example, a critical Pinch Hit for me did nothing. However, Mark successfully made robot checks at least 2 and maybe 3 times.

I also had a tough choice in the 11th inning whether to play my clutch for a certain hit or to play my spit ball cyborg. Turns out the cyborg would have been my best choice and I would have won that game. But it would still have been a tough uphill struggle to win 2 more games.

Great game by Mark and at least there is a good omen for me.

Last season, I won the in season game against Mark but lost the championship game to him. Therefore, this season, it only stands to reason that having lost the in season game to Mark, I get to win the championship game against him! devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

Great game by Mark and at least there is a good omen for me.

Last season, I won the in season game against Mark but lost the championship game to him. Therefore, this season, it only stands to reason that having lost the in season game to Mark, I get to win the championship game against him! devil


I'll be happy if I make it to the post season right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got crushed by the Buy Row today and lost both games in my doubleheader- first to Mark and now to Mike. soblue

I just couldn't quite cover things and I always had too little money for the good players available. The box scores tell the tale. I am way off on my averages on everything! gulp

This has been happening in my practice games against the AI as well! I suspect Peter has put some widget on the algorithm for selecting players for the Buy Row that operates against me. Yes, paranoia has set in. But do you know for sure he hasn't done this? zombie

Still, the games with Mark and Mike were a lot of fun and there were great moments and a lot of good decisions to be made. BH2045 never disappoints!

I guess I need to win all the rest of my games to get to the finals.
Pirate mode on! arrrh

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph,

Don't forget the second half back door.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! Winning the rest of my games will accomplish just that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cagey but weasely. Just what we’ve come to expect. I’m aiming for the Weasel Spot as well. Watch out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

This has been happening in my practice games against the AI as well!


Awesome! If you're losing against my AI, then you'll definitely lose against me too.

DragonCat wrote:
I suspect Peter has put some widget on the algorithm for selecting players for the Buy Row that operates against me. Yes, paranoia has set in. But do you know for sure he hasn't done this? zombie


I'd never do that. Sticking something in that lets me look at everyone else's cards, yes...but that, no.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I haven't been losing to the AI, I just haven't been winning as well! ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to post a screen grab for quite a while, but maybe a story first.

Last year, after I started fooling around with the on-line multiplayer stuff and got something that seemed to be working half decently really quickly I sent it out to about a dozen or so interested testers. I would monitor things while I was working/debugging and when someone tried to start a game, I heard that "Play Ball" sound effect and immediately jumped on to play a test game with someone.

I pretty much clobbered all of the first people to come by. I was playing the game full time for about 5-6 hours a day at that point. I thought I was pretty good. Why wouldn't I be? I probably played this thing more than anyone. And then Tom showed up.

I lost. We played again the next day and I lost again. And the next day and the next. I started to see his patterns. I knew what sort of things really pissed him off and what types of games he liked and disliked. I could tell who he was going to draft even before he made his picks. But I still kept losing.

Anyways, not sure what happened here, but I finally won a series against alekhine and I was nice and even let him play with his favorite team. Whack Offs finally win their first game this season.

Quick eyes! Big gloves! Can't lose!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a serious beat down. I couldn’t ever quite muster the income to buy the tasty FAs, and meanwhile Peter was nabbing the $10 sluggers. It’s not clear how that happened, as only one $3 income guy was ever picked if memory serves. His four wins weren’t even close. A massacre.

I’m now building my squad for the second half. Bobble heads ordered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene L
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eugene SF - Steve NY
SF wins over NY 4-2



Tough fought match.
Steve had a lot of naturals including a first round buy Miguel McCutchen. 2nd round buy of Barry Sosa. Followed up by Chance Evers for comboing. A real murders row.

I ended up w some strong robots like Line Drive, Kong but then moved to more Cyborgs esp closers.

First game went extra innings w Steve taking the win. We traded the next 3 games and were tied 2-2. But I got lucky in 5th game and was able to close it out in the 6th game.

Great game and thanks to Steve for a well fought match.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene L
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow surprised you took LA. Almost never see them taken - though that starting robot cancel is might attractive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Goldsmith
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our rematch and this one was glitch-free and a bit less dramatic. A lot of defensive play on both sides, but I ended up winning it with NY in 6.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lowther
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alpec73 wrote:
We had our rematch and this one was glitch-free and a bit less dramatic. A lot of defensive play on both sides, but I ended up winning it with NY in 6.



Alex crushed me right out of the starting gate. His first pick-up was Lou Leather and it just got stronger from there, and I couldn't get any traction at all. I won a couple by sheer luck, but the final outcome was never in any doubt. Well done, Alex!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.