6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: WHQ Blackstone Fortress or Zombicide Black Plague? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I had some issues with my vision recently and I have to avoid looking at screens for a while.

As such I decided to pickup next weekend a game that plays well solo and doesn't require too much headspace. After some research in my local stores for possible games and some further research online I came down to the final two: Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress and Zombicide: Black Plague.

On one side I like the fantasy setting that Black Plague has more than the sci-fi from WHQ and the lighter ruleset but the fact that I will miss a lot of content from the kickstarter extras puts me off from it (the difference in content between retail and backer pledge is quite big)

On the other side it seems that WHQ has more content in the corebox and a bigger longevity/replay value without expansions.

Any opinions from players that played both games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bateman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I hadn't even heard of Blackstone Fortress until now but just looking at the page it's designed by none other than Jervis Johnson so based on that alone I'm saying go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you're looking for (assuming theme isn't that big a factor).

Zombicide black plague is playable right out the box, WHQ:Blackstone you'll have to spend a bit of time assembling the minis (although if you've ever made a model kit it's easy, push fit, no glue needed).

Zombicide is definitely the lighter game - fun, move around, search for weapons, fail to kick in doors (at least that seems to happen to me) and have more and more zombies turning up.

Blackstone is more to think about, more tactical choices. Both have dice rolling though, so if you're anti that mechanic you'll dislike both.

If you're into mini-painting either (or both) are fine.

Yes you're missing content with ZBP, if you like it definitely worth looking for Zombicide: Black Plague – Wulfsburg for more missions and characters and zombie wolves, if you get into it then the deadeye walkers really make the game harder and more tactical (zombies with a range attack) and the Zombicide: Black Plague Zombie Bosses Abomination Pack add more 'bosses', but playing the base game will tell you if it's your thing or not (if it's not, I doubt the expansions will change your view).

Both work fine solo.

Both are an investment, maybe watch some playthrough videos for both and see which one appeals more.

I have both, enjoy both - if I had to keep just one I'd probably stick with Blackstone, but just because there's a bit more 'game' for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how much you like dice games.

Black Plague is almost nothing but dice rolls. Blackstone Fortress use dice rolls, but in a bit more strategic way.

No doubt BSF is the better game if you ask me. It has some quirks, but is way more interesting than zombicide games, especially when playing solo. I found that zombicide games are great for beer'n'pretzel gaming with buddies as the casual random crazy hack'n'slash is really good for that. I do not think I could even play a single mission to completion on my own as it would be too repetitive.
On the other hand BSF is great solo. The way the game plays there is a lot of puzzle-solving, planning the turn, and shared resources. This is a little rough on a group but works perfectly fine when you are on your own. The game feels more like you playing the party than multiple individual characters.

If complexity is a turn-off for you though, maybe think hard before you just jump into BSF though. There is quite a bit of upkeep and some rules to keep track of. If you like casual dice chugging zombicide may be the way you should go. For me, it just don't work solo and I would only play with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Thank you all so much for your feedback, this has definitely helped me understand better the difference between both games. Here is my feedback on some of the points that were raised in the comments:

Quote:
WHQ:Blackstone you'll have to spend a bit of time assembling the minis (although if you've ever made a model kit it's easy, push fit, no glue needed).

I used to own Shadespire so I am ok with the push-fit models

Quote:
Both have dice rolling though, so if you're anti that mechanic you'll dislike both.

I have no problem with dice rolling, as I said I am not looking for anything too brainy so the randomness of dice rolling is fine, specially since these are not competitive games to start with.

Quote:
If you're into mini-painting either (or both) are fine.

I have a strong dislike for the "arts'n'crafts" component of miniature games, so painting the miniatures will be highly unlikely in any case.

Quote:
Yes you're missing content with ZBP, if you like it definitely worth looking for Zombicide: Black Plague – Wulfsburg for more missions and characters and zombie wolves, if you get into it then the deadeye walkers really make the game harder and more tactical (zombies with a range attack) and the Zombicide: Black Plague Zombie Bosses Abomination Pack add more 'bosses', but playing the base game will tell you if it's your thing or not (if it's not, I doubt the expansions will change your view).

This is the part that I am more worried about Black Plague, I see a lot of people saying that you need expansions to keep the game fresh and exciting and most of them are already hard to find in my country (also I don't plan to pay stupid amounts for shipping for a 20 EUR box).

Quote:
If complexity is a turn-off for you though, maybe think hard before you just jump into BSF though. There is quite a bit of upkeep and some rules to keep track of. If you like casual dice chugging zombicide may be the way you should go. For me, it just don't work solo and I would only play with friends.

This is what worries me more about WHQ BSF, I don't know if constantly checking up tables and references won't get weary after a while for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 456
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Blackstone Fortress but I have considered buying it.

Zombicide Black Plague has some issues in my opinion but I have had some fun playing it solo. The simplicity and player dashboards lend themselves well to managing all six characters at once. I personally think I'd probably prefer it solo to playing with others because I can strategize across the entire party. I have Wolfsburg but haven't cracked it open yet. Normally I only get around to playing it once every few weeks; if I was to play it multiple times a week perhaps I would feel differently.

I don't know if you've watched videos for these two but that is what I would recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.